+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Asian Restaurant Name

FORT Newbie

Asian Restaurant Name

Does anyone know the name of the LA Asian restaurant that Roy took Amber to? (The one the 4 Asian women started)??? I think it's near Sweetzer and the Art Gallery. Please post and let me know. Thanx!

I have a strong suspicion that Roy's story about the restaurant was a load of chop suey. The story seemed too perfect for the situation.

But, it's only a suspicion at this point.
    -- Flash

FORT Fan

chop suey?

What's the connecdtion between Roy and chop suey? I thought he was Thai-American.

Quote Originally Posted by glindasgal
    Does anyone know the name of the LA Asian restaurant that Roy took Amber to? (The one the 4 Asian women started)??? I think it's near Sweetzer and the Art Gallery. Please post and let me know. Thanx!
    hmm..i'm not sure, but i think it may be the one owned by vietnamese sisters..i think they started crustaceans and thanh long(sp) up here in San Francisco.. i could totally be wrong, though..

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by boskeroo
    What's the connecdtion between Roy and chop suey? I thought he was Thai-American.
    Is a connection needed?

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pebbs
    hmm..i'm not sure, but i think it may be the one owned by vietnamese sisters..i think they started crustaceans and thanh long(sp) up here in San Francisco.. i could totally be wrong, though..
    Maybe it's the Joy Luck Club.

FORT Fan

connections

It might be just my own sensitivity. For many years Asians have not liked the fact that they've been portrayed in American culture in monolithic terms as if Japan, China, Vietnam, the Phillipines, and even India were all just the same people and cultures. Chop Suey is actually an American dish that has been used pejoratively to refer to fare at Chinese restaurants. fwiw, most of what we once knew as Chinese food in the US was created by Chinese immigrants for American palates and never existed in China. Sophisticated Chinese often used to look down at it and say that only people as crude as Americans would consider it proper food.

Anyway, chop suey applied to a Thai is way less extreme, but think about calling a Polish Jew a Nazi simply because he or she is European or an Irish protestant a Catholic because that's the biggest religious denomination in Europe.

Roy is Thai-American. He's not Chinese. I don't see why the phrase chop-suey was used to refer negatively to anything Roy said and I think connecting the two reveals an unfortunate level of ignorance.

It's unfortunate because I think Roy is one of the first Asian males to show up on American tv who's been portrayed as romantic and sexually attractive. The network has done a very nice job of not making it an issue and just letting Roy stand as someone who could credibly tempt Amber away from the muscle bound guy. Some of the comments here about Roy having money and using it also seem a little different than what was said by many about Andrew Firestone's inherited wealth and how that made him sexy or desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by boskeroo
    It might be just my own sensitivity. Chop Suey is actually an American dish that has been used pejoratively to refer to fare at Chinese restaurants.
    I will bow to your sensitivity. Please replace the phrase "chop suey" in the above comment with the non-culture based phrase "bullshit".
    -- Flash

FORT Fan

thanks

many thanks. "Bullshit" is fine....though maybe not for Hindus :}

+ Reply to Thread