+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Our Hostal Robot (actually he is called "The Laird Macintosh 3000")

Our Hostal Robot (actually he is called "The Laird Macintosh 3000")

Hostal Robot: Please note this is only a simulation...

Lets get this out of the way...

Chenbot (aka Julie Chen) obviously made a mistake settling for Les Moonves. She should have waited around for Laird Macintosh to show up. Fully as mechanical as Julie, there nevertheless is almost a certain amount of charm in his presentation because his. delivery. is. so. over. the. top. mechanical. It's like somebody programmed in the exact parameters for a SEEMINGLY unintentionally humorous robot impression and produced him.

I am half convinced that the version of him on the little RAZR phone is a computer program and the "live body" we see is an animatronic unit, like you see in the Hall of Presidents at Disney World.

Luckily, even those who find. his. delivery. even. harder. to. deal. with. than. I. do. can still enjoy this show because the spupendenously good editing and voice-over narration seem to make it flow so damn well. Hostal Robot (or "Robot" for short, or Laird Macintosh 3000 if you insist) is not necessary to the success of the show the way that Phil is on TAR for example, or Jeff on Survivor. He's just there to move the plot forward, NOT to actually participate in the show as a living breathing character, the way those other gentlemen do. And for this show, it works. Basically we are so busy looking at the almost National Geographic quality camerawork to even notice Mr. Roboto.

I intend to mock him every moment of this series--in every post I can manage, in every way possible. But its a kind of warm fuzzy mocking, not a real hatred. I mean I collected toys shaped like robots as a kid. I can't hate one!
    Last edited by Krom; 06-19-2006 at 12:57 AM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Holy crap. He. Was. The love child. Of. Shatner. And. Adam West.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar
    Well the Laird 3000 is a very comely bot and has a nice voice. I like that they pre-recorded him for the phones and the contestants don't have to jump him on a destination mat.

MRD
    Krom
    you have me:

Love the Laird Macintosh 3000. Perfect. For. This. Guy.

Keep mocking as it is hysterically funny. Even funnier than the mullet guy from Texas
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I really don't have a problem with the robotic delivery of the host. It is nice for a change that the host does not interact much with the teams. If fact all of his narratons could be done in the studio. That would save alot of time and money for the producers instead of having host travel with the teams like Phil does for TAR.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I actually thought "Laird Macintosh" was a joke, but that's his real name. Or his real showbiz name, anyway. He apparently has been in Saving Private Ryan and other movies.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

elk
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    http://www.nbc.com/Treasure_Hunters/images/about/about_photo_host.jpg
    Hostal Robot: Please note this is only a simulation...

Lets get this out of the way...

Chenbot (aka Julie Chen) obviously made a mistake settling for Les Moonves. She should have waited around for Laird Macintosh to show up. Fully as mechanical as Julie, there nevertheless is almost a certain amount of charm in his presentation because his. delivery. is. so. over. the. top. mechanical. It's like somebody programmed in the exact parameters for a SEEMINGLY unintentionally humorous robot impression and produced him.

I am half convinced that the version of him on the little RAZR phone is a computer program and the "live body" we see is an animatronic unit, like you see in the Hall of Presidents at Disney World.

Luckily, even those who find. his. delivery. even. harder. to. deal. with. than. I. do. can still enjoy this show because the spupendenously good editing and voice-over narration seem to make it flow so damn well. Hostal Robot (or "Robot" for short, or Laird Macintosh 3000 if you insist) is not necessary to the success of the show the way that Phil is on TAR for example, or Jeff on Survivor. He's just there to move the plot forward, NOT to actually participate in the show as a living breathing character, the way those other gentlemen do. And for this show, it works. Basically we are so busy looking at the almost National Geographic quality camerawork to even notice Mr. Roboto.

I intend to mock him every moment of this series--in every post I can manage, in every way possible. But its a kind of warm fuzzy mocking, not a real hatred. I mean I collected toys shaped like robots as a kid. I can't hate one!
    OMG! This was so funny I had to change my shorts!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Well the Laird 3000 is a very comely bot and has a nice voice. I like that they pre-recorded him for the phones and the contestants don't have to jump him on a destination mat.
    I myself, wouldn't mind jumping on Phil at the mat...

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    we see is an animatronic unit, like you see in the Hall of Presidents at Disney World.
    I was thinking he reminded me of the Dr. on Voyager
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Well the Laird 3000 is a very comely bot and has a nice voice.
    Remember! The Macintosh is a computer for the artistic crowd! Ergo, the Laird Macintosh 3000 is a very user friendly unit!

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

The HOST is too wooden

First off, I really enjoyed the show. Living here in Baltimore, I was even more excited to see the final quest revolved only minutes away from me. Pretty cool.

However, the finale. This host is horrible. He's fine in the episodes, where all he has to do is give information like a robot, but, when he has to interact in conversation, its so uncomfortable to watch.

The finale reunion was horribly produced. At one point, the camera shot was like inadvertantly at someones feet, as if the cameraman didnt know it was on. WTF? Then, when the Host(who I cant even remember his name, which is sad cause I saw every episode) brought out the Geniuses and everyone had a group hug, he totally botched that moment, by trying to rush them into their seats. Totally disorganized and loss of control. Embarrassing.
    Then, he would ask a question, and talk over the contestants as they were trying to answer.
    He just doesnt have the screen savy of a Probst, or even the guy from Amazing Race, who at least doesnt appear to be made of wood.

So, either DONT do a Reunion show where this guy has to converse, or get a new host. Maybe Chuck Woolery? J/k

+ Reply to Thread