+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DeConcilii - Hawkins Trade Discussion Thread

I really liked the Miami mom, I thought she would be so stuck up and snobby. I feel bad that she is getting a note next week from her husband. Do you think that he is telling her he wants a divorce? I really hope not to miss the upcoming episode, but at least I have this board to recap it for me.

FORT Newbie
    i was all for the show up until the part on how to spend the money. white family goes on a trip and black family treated like trash. henrietta is a snob, why do you have to criticize how someone else lives? just because of where you live, doesn't make you any better than Marla!!!!!!!!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Henrietta did send the Hawkins on a trip, they just were not pleased with the idea of taking a trip, because, as Marla said, they have to work. But I cannot get over how Henrietta itemized the home renovations down to what kind of tile to use in the bathroom and what color to paint the interior. If she'd just given them $10K to fix up the house, I could see it. I don't see money for fixing up a house an insult, since you've always got to fix something in a house. The worst part was that $3500 to the mayoral candidate. That was a total WTF? moment...they never mentioned the Hawkins were particularly politically active or that they had a specific feelings about the mayor (or even that there was an election coming up). Also, that the boys didn't get anything was pretty inequitable.

The other thing that drove me nuts about the episode was the complete about-face of the edit on the husbands. Most of the time I don't buy that "I was edited like that" argument, but in this case, I do. Last week we hated Maurice and Marco. Maurice was a hard-ass, unloving, uncaring bastard. Marco was a playboy flirt, with all kinds of chicas on the side. Tonight, Maurice is a tender-hearted man, with a life-long mission to find love and approval from his father and easily dominated by his wife, and Marco is a sad little boy who has lost the love of his life. I don't think either guy is that schizo.

FORT Newbie
    I am still angry with the way Henrietta allocated the money for the Hawkins family. Not only in the meeting with Marla did she come off as smugly self-righteous, but even after her experiences she obviously only considered the Hawkins family as "ghetto black" caricatures and reinforced the notions of working class black families as lesser (less culturally sophisticated, less capable of emotional stability, less able to have or maintain a nice home...). It is the height of arrogance and rudeness to have left their family basically saying the only thing I can think of to do for you is tell you your house is dirty and in need of redecorating (which you're obviously incapable of deciding how for yourselves) and make token gestures of appreciation (go to Rome and get cultured!, Buy up some lingerie that's going to have a lasting effect on your life!) And how exactly are campaign donatations and church donations supposed to make a difference in the life of the Hawkins' children? She just showed ultimately how stupid, selfish, and short-sighted she was. No wonder she was having marrital problems, obviously she has no clue how to look at the bigger picture or plan for the long haul. What are the twins supposed to do with new bathroom tile exactly? And really I thought it funny that she made so many mentions of coming back to see them again. If I were Marla I'd cuss her out and hang up the phone if Henrietta ever dared to call to arrange a visit.

And as a petty spiteful observation, that dress she wore for her return home? I can't even think what would have made it better. A bra? A seamstress to alter the neckline? A modesty panel?

I never got the impression that she considered them "ghetto black". Not in the least. I disagree that she of them as being lesser anything. I believe that she honestly thought she was doing what they might enjoy. Just because she didn't understand them as well as you or I might have, she seemed to truly like them and want the best for them. I doubt that she has many money worries so she probably does't understand the day to day scrimpng and saving that many of us do.

I disagreed with how she chose to spend their money, but I also disapproved of how Marla acted about the whole thing. I didn't see stupidity on either of their parts, but I surely did see excess anger in Marla. That woman could use some anger management counseling.

Marla's tantrum over Henrietta's money allocation was great. Much needed because this one was a real sleeper. I didn't enjoy watching Marla trying to play Dr. Phil. Gimme a break. She assumed Marco's kid was traumatized by his dad's weeks away... She asked "How do you feel when Daddy goes away??" That is such a loaded question. No therapist worth thier salt would ask a kid that. Umm...what do you think he is going to say?? Maybe he was just fine with it... She could have been making an issue where none existed...

But nothing - I mean nothing - compared to Henrietta's dress choice for her return home... pasties would have been a classier choice. Any success that she accomplished was lost in the moment she appeared on the screen in that tacky - $1 an hour - whore ensemble. I was just very disappointed in her because by the end of the show, my opinion of her was rising and I expected more... but then she sinks right back into look-at-my-breasts-I'm-a-blonde-idiot-mode that she was presented as....and it wasn't editing either.
    Last edited by ChaiTea; 12-25-2006 at 11:55 PM. Reason: forgot a word or two. doh!

FORT Regular

That mayoral donation....

I have a feeling that Fox craftily editted out the reason why Henrietta included a donation to the sitting mayor's campaign funds. When Marla and Maurice were in their bedroom, Maurice kept trying to interrupt Marla to tell her something, but she wouldn't let him. I think Maurice knows the reason why that campaign contribution was made.

Perhaps he said something to Henrietta about how much good the mayor has done for their community (or something to that effect) and that he (meaning Maurice) hoped he would win the next election.

I can't see Henrietta just up and giving the mayor a campaign donation, out-of-the-blue, like that, unless something had been said to her to have her believe that it was something the family would want. It was too strange a thing to do, without some sort of prompting.

And of course, it would make for great tv, for Fox to edit the part out where she's given that suggestion.

If you watch it again, listen to how hard Maurice tries to interrupt Marla at the part right after she has her meltdown about the mayor and you'll see what I mean.

Another thing I thought of is that Maurice isn't those kids only problem parent. They're probably afraid to open their mouths for fear that Marla would eat them alive. It seemed to me that the three kids are living in an environment totally void of affection. Hopefully their dad will make a change. I don't hold out much hope that mom will. She seems to think she's pretty near perfect as she is.

I'm sure I'd not very observant, but Henrietta's outfit didn't even get my attention. I need to see a picture of that.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2187121;
    Another thing I thought of is that Maurice isn't those kids only problem parent. They're probably afraid to open their mouths for fear that Marla would eat them alive. It seemed to me that the three kids are living in an environment totally void of affection. Hopefully their dad will make a change. I don't hold out much hope that mom will. She seems to think she's pretty near perfect as she is.

I'm sure I'd not very observant, but Henrietta's outfit didn't even get my attention. I need to see a picture of that.
    I didn't really notice the outfit either. I remember when she left for her return home she had some sort of jacket or sweater type thing on and when she got home, she had removed it, but I attributed that to the change in weather.

As for the money allocation, it made me wonder if Henrietta had ever watched this show before. To be so specific about which home improvement projects and even what colors to use, that just seemed very odd. And I didn't take it as racially motivated at all. Maybe a class issue more than anything, but not race.

Just a strange show all around, if you ask me...

I searched but I can't find a picture of Henrietta's outfit. It wasn't flashy or anything. It was just extremely low-cut. Think - Jennifer Lopez at the Grammy's - low-cut. But Henrietta wasn't on the Grammy's - she was on a television show subtitled "Meet Your New Mommy..."

Supposedly, Henrietta is now saying she got a bad edit. She allocated the money for donations to help the Hawkins avoid tax penalities with the prize money .... she wasn't trying to tell Hawkins how to decorate: she gave specific instructions on what to upgrade so the house would be more profitable... she said that she did leave $900 for the kids... Even Marlah supposedly agreed that she gave money to the kids... not much, but some. But apparently, Henrietta has since left Marco and claims domestic abuse was a factor... And she and Maurice are friends now. But still opening arguing with Marlah.

Who knows how true all of this is - but it's fun to speculate.
    Last edited by ChaiTea; 12-26-2006 at 11:37 PM. Reason: I can't spell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast