+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TS 11/17 Discussion Thread

FORT Fan
    I guess the Solomons won't be watching football on Thanksgivings Day - all the hitting, grabbing, and pushing is just too violent, barbaric, and Medieval like the jousting. Maybe they'll enjoy an intellectual game of chess instead!

Interesting episode in a strange way.

I admit I was wishing I was on that Palm Springs vacation w/the Solomons. Hey, if someone wants to foot a hotel bill for me and take me shopping and dining, who am I to argue.

But on the other hand, it wasn't what their guest wanted. Unless the show asked the Solomons to 'do what you'd normally do' then it wasn't very hospitable of them, once it was clear she wasn't enjoying herself.

I'm 99% certain (just a hunch) that the reason they stayed in a hotel was that they did not want to chance having their 'perfect home' messed up or made unsanitary by some unknown quantity i.e., a stranger. I'm sure Vered expressed relief at this once she returned home knowing Sue was a stable hand (in her view).

Sue was just a leeetle obsessive about horses to the point it was weird. She wasn't being a good guest either, IMO; jabbering about horses night and day. It should've been clear by the glazed-over eyes and slack jaws that she was boring her hosts to tears. (I give her points for trying to do what she could to thank them, i.e. the homemade meal; on the other hand it did look gross, and unsanitary, and smacked a bit of 'let's do this my way'.)

I felt Mike's behavior was rude to his guest. He shouldn't have yelled; surely his party guests would've understood the newcomer was not quite used to all this and wanted to sit it out. It didn't ruin the party, which seems proof of that. Someone should have gone in to see if Vered was OK at some point. I hate in these swaps when the host families just let the guest be miserable. It's gotta be daunting living amongst total strangers. If they seem freaked out, it doesn't seem right to just ignore that. He also should not have yelled at her like that when she to be fair, was trying her best at baling hay and mucking out stables. I might've told him where to stick his pitchfork.

I felt it wasn't really Vered's place to try and stop Arianna's wedding when she'd only just met her. But I do think her intentions were good, and I give her points for having the guts to try, at the same time. I think Marc benefited the most from this swap.

I dunno why Sue gave Tal $15,000 for a vacation. Her parents will buy her anything she wants anyway.

"Medieval Times" out here in CA always looked boring to me, though the Ren Fest is kind of fun. But neither are a place to take people who hate dust, smells, etc. and adore fine dining. ALthough Ren Fest has great chocolate-dipped strawberries, yum. It (Ren Fest) probably wasn't in season when the swap occured?

One last thought, I think the Solomons were confusing 'caste' with 'class'. I think they were into conspicuous consumption in order to show what income level they were at. But class is all about how you treat others.
    Last edited by Brandy; 11-20-2006 at 07:21 AM.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;2148859;
    I'm 99% certain (just a hunch) that the reason they stayed in a hotel was that they did not want to chance having their 'perfect home' messed up or made unsanitary by some unknown quantity i.e., a stranger.
    I read a Googled online article that said that the Solomon's neighborhood association refused to let a TV crew film on their premises to protect the privacy of some of their "celebrity neighbors". Hence the reason to host the guest at a hotel. I wonder who foot the bill - the Solomons or Fox! But the premise of the show is to let a stranger into your house. So if your house is off-limits, how does it serve the show's purpose?

One last thought, I think the Solomons were confusing 'caste' with 'class'. I think they were into conspicuous consumption in order to show what income level they were at. But class is all about how you treat others.
    When people wait their entire life to get something that they wanted for so long, they tend to overcompensate by indulging too much into that desire. I think the Solomon's obsession over their Hummer, vacations, and expensive clothes is a reflection of that overindulgence. If they have so much, why did they even bother to participate in this show for a measly 50K? And if they wanted to see how the grass was on the other side, why were they close-minded to completely ignore the grass on the other side? Makes no sense to me.

Good points SurferBlonde. Makes no sense to me, either.

Unless maybe to have something else that makes them 'special' or to talk about in their social circle? Still, I'd think they'd look down on a show like this, or rather, the experience itself. Maybe they're just insecure inside and both the consumerism and being on Tv are about attention?

So if your house is off-limits, how does it serve the show's purpose?
    It's odd to me, too, that the show would accept a family who doesn't allow or can't allow anyone to film near their home. It does sound a bit bogus to me, though. (I did see the same thing online I think, yesterday) But then those neighborhood associations can demand some strange things. I tend to not like being told what to do (if it makes no sense/is unfair/is unreasonable), so I think I'd tell 'em where to stick it, and move elsewhere. Lol.

I think maybe the show paid for the hotel suite, and that's why the Solomons kept griping about it. If they were paying, why not just leave? Unless, of course, in the ALSO privacy-conscious Palm Springs, nowhere else would let the show film. (So, then, why choose Palm Springs? There are other 'pricey' areas - for instance, Beverly Hills.)

There is also a beautiful resort hotel in Thousand Oaks, so again, the whole situation was odd. It also sounded like they had not been in Palm Springs before, and with their obsession with 'the best of the best' that struck me as unlikely, also. Very strange. This is one group I'd like to know a bit more about. They were all a bit wacky (except, maybe, Marc...other than his fireman's carry of his mom into the house).
    Last edited by Brandy; 11-21-2006 at 11:14 AM.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;2150409;
    Unless maybe to have something else that makes them 'special' or to talk about in their social circle? Still, I'd think they'd look down on a show like this, or rather, the experience itself.
    Brandy, that's a good point. If Aaron had such an issue with paper napkins and the word "guacamole" not being classy, how in the heck did he think being on a Fox reality TV show would be classy? Fun, maybe, and a way to get $50K, most assuredly, but Fox is not exactly a bastion of class and taste.

Thanks. And I'd have liked to know what they'd do if sent to one of those patented TS/WS 'filthy family' homes!

FORT Fanatic
    I felt Mike's behavior was rude to his guest. He shouldn't have yelled; surely his party guests would've understood the newcomer was not quite used to all this and wanted to sit it out.
    That wasn't the case though. She didn't just want to sit out, she wanted the entire family to sit out. And when she pressed the issue and Mike's talking didn't work he yelled. Perfectly understandable when someone is being too stubborn and stuck-up to let you speak. If she just wanted to sit out on her own I doubt it would have turned into the issue it did.

I felt it wasn't really Vered's place to try and stop Arianna's wedding when she'd only just met her. But I do think her intentions were good, and I give her points for having the guts to try, at the same time. I think Marc benefited the most from this swap.
    Vered had some good points but she chose to tackle most of them the wrong way. Arianna did exhibit what could be called immature behaviour but we never get the full picture of anyone on the program. So she's 21 and enjoys Disney & Pirates. So did Walt Disney and no one called him immature and unfit to marry

I do give her props for her support of Marc. Though I doubt she would have been nearly supportive if his chosen occupation was something "blue collar".

Both families live in a fantasy world. The difference is the Parodis family recognize that they do.

Did anyone happen to catch the name of the orthopedic surgeon at Walter Reed who interviewed Marcello?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by orionaut; 11-24-2006 at 03:42 PM. Reason: to correct a typo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12