+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10/20/06 Trading Spouses season opener thread *spoilers*

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

10/20/06 Trading Spouses season opener thread *spoilers*

Trading Spouses was set to start tonight, but it's really going to start in two weeks. I know they've been recruiting for a Katrina-affected family, so I'll be interested to see if they actually do that this year and what level of exploitation we'll get from Fox. It should be interesting to say the least.

Here's what the Fox press release has to say about the first episode of Season 3:

TWO MOMS MIX IT UP ON THE TWO-HOUR SEASON PREMIERE OF TRADING SPOUSES: MEET YOUR NEW MOMMY FRIDAY, OCTOBER 20, ON FOX

Mrs. Sharon Martin of Olympia, KY, and Mrs. Lisa Shatz of Boston, MA, trade places to try out the ultimate life change - switching families to take over a family from another walk of life. In Part 1 of this episode, one mom has to adjust to Orthodox Jewish traditions, while the other's kosher way of life is put to the test when she goes raccoon hunting with her new family. In Part 2, Sharon and Lisa continue to adjust to life after trading families. And when it's time to say goodbye, they leave their new families with a letter that could change their lives forever. Finally, when each mom returns to her own home, she reads the letter to learn how her family will have to spend the $50,000 prize. Moms trade houses and spouses on the two-hour season premiere of TRADING SPOUSES: MEET YOUR NEW MOMMY Friday, Oct. 20 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (TSP-220/221) (TV-PG L)
    Link

Thanks for the heads up! I'll always have a tender spot for this show. I look forward to your recaps, Phonegrrl!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I love this show! I'll have to set my DVR so I won't miss it. Thanks for this reminder.

Did anyone watch it?

I saw it - I was pretty speechless throughout most of it. The way Sharon's relatives were staring at Lisa while she filled her plate first...She's not a zoo animal. I can only hope that staring session didn't go on as long as it seemed to - that it seemed longer in the edit. I really thought the grandma had violence in mind.

Really, not a good image with the gaggle of blonds staring down the tiny Jewish interloper house guest.

I also thought Sharon was unbelievably blunt/rude to the Shatz family about their customs. Granted, Lisa could've used some sensitivity and tact when speaking to the Martins, as well. Especially poor Aaron. Does he get kicked from all sides, or what. Poor kid! I thought he was much more handsome, friendly and bright than his sister seemed anyway...If they're gonna compare kids! (I hate when families do that)

As PhoneGrrrl noted in her Recap - it was stunning how isolated and insular both families were.

Maybe this is one way television can be a good thing. I'm joining Netflix for both families, and sending The Chosen to the Martins, and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation to the Shatzes.
    Last edited by Brandy; 10-22-2006 at 04:23 PM.

This is my first post - I like Trading Spouses a little better than Wife Swap, because Wife Swap seems soo...contrived. Trading Spouses also has what seems to be obviously scripted parts, but ...I guess that makes it interesting. Makes me wonder just how boring the show would be without them! LOL

I hope it's ok to give opinions in this thread. I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if I'm violating a rule or something.

As for this season opener, I can't believe the mother from Kentucky had never heard of Orthodox Jews or Kosher food before. I realize Olympiaville, Kentucky isn't exactly a booming metropolis of culture, but really. Thinking the kosher food labels were written in Arabic? Thank god she didn't go to a fundamentalist Muslim family.

I didn't think the mother from Boston handled the tutor suggestion all that great, but was it really so bad that the son had to run to his room crying and call his grandma? 30 minutes earlier he was such the brave hunter! Being THAT sensitive has more to do with his parents' daily criticism than it did a simple one-time suggestion that he get a tutor.

When the father in Boston closed down the party after the rabbi showed up, that was too little, too late. The rabbi already saw what was going on. Way to throw your weight around...albeit too little, too late, pops.

I liked how the dinner with the Kentucky grandma and family went - it was interesting to see how the entire tone of the evening changed when the grandma said she agreed with the Boston mother 100% about passing values onto children. Suddenly, everyone agreed with her. It seems like the grandma's views/beliefs were the equivalent to the Orthodox Jews religion. She seems to be the voice of 'oral tradition' in her family. Whatever she says...goes.

But I didn't like the way they showed the Boston mother going around the table, gathering food like a lab rat. They all stood around, watching her like a freak show. And then she ate, on the floor, in the living room. Nice southern hospitality, right there.

And as for the money allocation, what a crock. Kentucky parents gets 10K for a cruise?? Boston mother so worried about education, yet leaves nothing for the kids college! Well, the mutual funds was a good idea but that's not going to benefit the kids' college expense now. Kentucky mother thinks Boston family needs money for new furniture? Kentucky mother so worried about the parents communicating with kids, why not give some $$ for an Orthodox counselor to help deal with life in a secular world?

But overall, this wasn't an attention grabbing episode. Interesting and entertaining. But the whole religion thing has been played out. Come to think of it, most controversial topics have been done already. Not much left.

Ok. I'm done now.
    5 cents out.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    ChaiTea! Sharing opinions on reality tv participants is what we do around here, so feel free to join in the discussion.

I agree with you--Trading Spouses is better than Wife Swap. First, the swap time is shorter, and second, there's money involved.

I agree. Another thing I prefer in TS vs. Wife Swap is there seems to be less of the (like clockwork) "I'm not doin' this!" from the husbands. That gets so tiresome in Wife Swap!

I agree also that neither Mom allocated the money very well this time. Neither allocation was very practical or sensitive to that family's needs.

Does anyone know if the families are actually obligated to spend the money per the other mother's allocation?

FORT Newbie

Know Aaron in rl

I go to aarons school, and am a friend of his. He got alot of crap for the crying thing, but he deserved it, imo.

The familys have to spend the money how it was written, they have no choice.

Phonegrrl, i have not discovered where the $8000 went, but I am working to find out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast