+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Hammond Family

The Hammond Family

The Hammond family of Brooklyn Park, Minnesota is an active, feisty family of four who are always on the go!

Tim, the father, is your classic laidback dad. *He enjoys sitting back and watching his wife try to control the chaos that ensues in the household on a daily basis. *He is a supportive father who wants his kids to be the best that they can be. *He is a loving husband who allows his wife to take the reins in disciplining and organizing the family. *He is cool and collected and takes life as it comes, and living with this family, life certainly comes at him hard and fast.

A first impression of Mia might have you thinking she lives a perfect life with perfect children and a perfect husband. *And that is precisely what she wants you to think. *The reality is her husband is always getting on her nerves and her children whine and cry about anything and everything. *Mia wants desperately to have a normal, all American family, but no matter how hard she organizes, controls and disciplines her entire family, they will not stop the dysfunction. *But that does not stop her keeping a tight leash on everything. *She bickers constantly with Tim, allowing everything he does to bother her. *She coddles her children to the point of spoiling and then fights with them when they throw tantrums over not being able to go to Build a Bear for the 3rd time that week. *Mia is wound so tightly that she wonders how she hasn’t snapped yet.

Bria and Caleb are two very adorable children who both have a strong sense of self and even stronger vocal chords! *Bria is a beautiful young diva. *An aspiring actress/doctor, she is given every opportunity to develop her skills on stage. *She attends a private performing arts school and is allowed to be as boisterous and entertaining as she wants to be at home. *Caleb is a quiet boy at first, but will open up quickly at the mention of “Build a Bear”, his favorite store and hobby. *Into skateboarding and goofing off with his dad, Caleb is a sweet kid with a sensitive heart. *Both kids are tantrum time bombs, however, and Mom and Dad admit to spoiling them. *They may live in a house with a controlling, neat freak mom, but they know how to use their tears to get what they want!

The Hammond’s are excited to be a part of Trading Spouses and are looking forward to finding out how a new Mom will handle their hectic lifestyle!

Scary, scary, scary

Okay, Hammonds are a very scary family.

The mother, Mia, vacuums 4-5 times a day, and this isnt some joke? Wow, she has issues. Maybe she has OCD, but she needs to get it fixed. There's being tiny and clean, there's being "lived in", there's being filthy, and then there's being a "freak about clean"....Mia fits into the freak category.

I was very upset at her own issues, one of them being about her crying about going to Tennessee. How biased is that? To say that the South is nothing but hillbillys with straw in their teeth, is ridiculous! Not to mention that she taught this to her biracial children who spout off their disgust for people from the South (probably never met anyone, but this is how prejudice grows right?).

Another issue, maybe I'm the only one. Did you catch the part where Mia is with her daughter (God I forgot the girl's name) and they are praying about the girl's "virginity"? They pray that she "keeps it" until her wedding night....to me thats creepy to tell your daughter that her virginity belongs to her parents and thats its something dirty, thus you better not "lose" it until are officially married....Okay, so I definately have issues with that, lol. But its okay I guess to have that kind of philosophy if you are consistent. Mia is not...did you notice her praying with her son the same thing? Of course not....its the same double standard, girls who have sex turn into sluts and boys who have sex turn into men. She should tell her daughter that sex is something not to hide or "keep away", but to cherish, waiting for that right individual (marriage or not) and then making sure that her daughter learns about responsible decision making, birth control etc....this kind of "abstinance only" for women is crap, doesn't work, needs to end. Nothing wrong or dirty about sex, we just need to teach our kids that its an emotional committment you give to another, and to wait until one feels ready. ...okay off soap box for that topic

I was mad when Mia got upset at "Candy" when the girl showed her the fake eye ball. I know Mia wasnt expecting it and it was bit of a joke, but to freak out?!? I was born without a couple fingers, and I don't have prosthetics because they are too expensive, but people sure do notice when someone is missing anything, even fingers, and their reactions are very disturbing, very much like Mia's....as soon as they see it, they run away, physically or emotionally. I was glad to see Candy having such a healthy and strong sense of self that she doesnt feel weak or ugly because of her eye. Unless you are missing a body part, you might not be able to appreciate the fortitude it takes to get by in life with people who consider you "abnormal". More power to her.

Looking at the previews, it seems that Mia's family has a ball with the Howard's mother (sorry forgot the name)....and I'm glad. Her kids need not to be robots, they need to be able to have fun for crying out loud and Mia's extreme sense of needing to control every aspect of life, needs to be eliminated, its not only unhealthy for herself but its unhealthy for her kids as well.

The Hammonds really need to learn how to have fun. I know it was edited to look like an incredibly depressing atmosphere but there is a lot of truth to the editing. Mia is so focus on avoiding the mistakes she made in her life and with her first daughter with her younger kids that she seems to have forgotten that they are kids and not little mini robots. Tim seems to be the only one in the family with any personality, and even his seems to have been beaten down by Mia over the years. This family definitely needs to learn to enjoy life a bit, everything seems to be work with them.

One thing about Mia and her way over the top view of the South, probably for her family being interracially married with biracial kids Minnesota is a much better place to be then Tennessee or most of the South. Minnesota is one of the most liberal states in the US, which is not the deep South, and her family would probably be much more accepted there than in most of the deep South (with some exceptions like Atlanta, etc.). Where Mia has done her kids a disservice is that she seems to have deeply imbedded in them (or at least the daughter) that all Southerners are the same stereotypical backwood Bama's. Mia's kids never gave Angela a chance, they simply saw her as a Southerner and not as an individual and assign to her the same bs stereotypes that some hillybillys and rednecks might have assign to her and her family. She needs to learn and teach her kids while there may be greater concentrations of certain types of people in different places, we are all individuals and should be seen as such rather than stereotypes of those places.

Mia could be just that...Missing In Action and nobody would care, the woman is rude, boring and creepy.
    leave the gun...take the canolis - The Godfather

FORT Newbie
    The Hammond family of Brooklyn Park, Minnesota is an active, feisty family of four who are always on the go!

Really? Because the only activity I saw was them cleaning the house. They didn't strike me as feisty either more like brow beaten and weary. But hey maybe that is how Mia described them to make them look normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ownlyanangel20
    I was born without a couple fingers, and I don't have prosthetics because they are too expensive, but people sure do notice when someone is missing anything, even fingers, and their reactions are very disturbing, very much like Mia's....as soon as they see it, they run away, physically or emotionally. I was glad to see Candy having such a healthy and strong sense of self that she doesnt feel weak or ugly because of her eye. Unless you are missing a body part, you might not be able to appreciate the fortitude it takes to get by in life with people who consider you "abnormal". More power to her.
    What a contrast. Candy seemed well-adjusted and personable, which is a lot to ask of any teenager, much less a girl with a visible difference from her peers. Bria seemed shocked by her dad flinging his toast.

I think it speaks volumes about the success of their parenting styles.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Ownlyanangel20.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Regular

Good ole Mia

I live in Minnesota and Mia was on the local Fox morning show the day the final episode ran. OF COURSE it was all editing and she knows how she really is and it's a real pain in the butt to have people at the local coffee shop ask her if she really vacuums 5 times a day.

As someone basically said about Jonathan on the Amazing Race...you could have taped me for the entirety of my adult life and not get that much venom and brittleness.

I bet she's systematically figured out exactly which neighbors have the audacity to say they feel unwelcome in her sterile home and they've been dealt with accordingly.

Mia's husband was probably right when he said she didn't seemed to have learned a thing from the experience.
    The problem with self-righteous, rule-bound, fear-based control freaks is that the very personality traits that make them so insufferable also prevent them from any real self-reflection. They honestly can't see the misery they create around them.
    But you have to wonder, too, why anyone would marry them.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread