+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Abbott Family Articles/Information

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie
    I must have missed something last night. What is this "Dear Woman" letter that everyone keeps talking about with the Abbott's? Can some one PLEASE fill me in? Thanks!!!
    Before he met Leslie (wife), the dad...about 25 years ago, wrote a "Dear Woman" letter.
    We can only assume that it was a single's ad cause they didn't really say WHERE he wrote it and had it published. But anywho, that's what he said he did, and Leslie responded to it and the rest is Taoism history.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

See I don't think he actually "wrote " the letter. I think he "mentally' wrote it and she felt his aura and read his mind.

I went to their website and they actually have a separate page ALL about the Trading Spouses experience. They especially go into the editing part....check it out: http://www.playingbyear.com/ts/

Sounds like they actually enjoyed the experience.
    kitty-cats rule!

Quote Originally Posted by leeinsmyrna
    I went to their website and they actually have a separate page ALL about the Trading Spouses experience. They especially go into the editing part....check it out: http://www.playingbyear.com/ts/

Sounds like they actually enjoyed the experience.
    And unfortunately it shows how reality TV isn't as real as we'd like. But either Carl or Luke sums it up (and I am not quoting exactly)with if they showed how much fun we really had, it wouldn't pull the ratings. It appears that BOTH families really had a lot of fun together.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Well I have to agree, Vicki was funny ,but she was not very accepting of their life style and overly opinionated regarding how they live.

Editing or not...the networks are not putting words in their mouth.
    What happened on the show is what they portrayed.
    leave the gun...take the canolis - The Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Zaaam
    Editing or not...the networks are not putting words in their mouth.
    What happened on the show is what they portrayed.
    Let's be real here; Everyone knows all of the Abbott's furniture, as well as their shoes and the boy's beds, were edited out for a ratings boost.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I would strongly reccommend that anyone interested in this episode take a look at the family's website and discussion board. It's a good lesson in reality TV editing.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    My beef is that the editors took Vickie's *opinion* (that I needed to get out and "spread my wings") and twisted our reality to justify it. A lot of Vickie's conjecture and theories were baseless, but the editors supported her views exclusively, instead of showing both sides. The whole thing about me realizing I need to spread my wings and feeling excited about that was all fake, because, frankly, I AM spreading my wings ALREADY!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    Before he met Leslie (wife), the dad...about 25 years ago, wrote a "Dear Woman" letter.
    We can only assume that it was a single's ad cause they didn't really say WHERE he wrote it and had it published. But anywho, that's what he said he did, and Leslie responded to it and the rest is Taoism history.
    OOH OOH I caught this one...he wrote his Dear Woman letter and handed it out to 100 women. Picture Shoeless Abbott shuffling toward ya with a handful of leaflets.

FORT Newbie

Re: Abbott Family Articles/Information

I've known the Abbotts for fifteen years. They are a bit different from your average family, even for Santa Cruz, CA. It may be true that the editing highlighted some of their family dynamics--but, believe me, they ARE there. I'm one for letting people be who they are, as long as it doesn't affect my life. But in reading their family blog and comments and having had conversations with Leslie (the mother), I must say that their response to how they were portrayed is defensive to the degree that they DO know their own downsides and are embarrassed to have them shown so publicly. Every family has its quirks and false facades and dissonant behaviors. Their thinking is definitely not ordinary middle-class. However, when they complain and try to appear "normal" after the fact is disingenuous. Some of the traits seen on this show are there. It is a shame that the family denies them and tries to take the high road by crying "foul". To be frank, anyone who does not know them and takes their side of being the injured party is either being sentimental or fooled by some need to believe in some Utopian hippie vision. Not that there is anything wrong in these dreams, but at least be honest with yourself in your own motivations. It's a Fox reality show for Buddha's sake!
    Last edited by localgod; 12-08-2010 at 12:34 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12