+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 12/6 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie
    Ok, the hippie dad gives me the CREEPS. I'm with Vickie - I think he's big time into controlling his family and keeping them ticking along at about 1960. He doesn't want the boys to be independent? Sounds sick to me - and everybody sleeping in the same room? Did this man grow up believing that Heinlein is a future prophet or something? Sounds pretty close to incestuous.

I hope Vickie sticks to her guns and throws the R&B party and buys the boys some decent clothes (and SHOES). Do you think those poor kids have ANY friends at school?!!!

Wait... you forget- no school; they are homeschooled. They certainly seem nice enough- but the real world could possibly eat them alive. I have two teenaged boys- and as far as I'm concerned, the further away they sleep the better!

Lucy and Kevin...so cute! Reality tv fan's Avatar
    Interesting episode of Trading Spouses!

Such a strange lifestyle the earth family is living.....I just find it so odd. I also do not understand why they would all sleep in the same room, when they have a whole house to live in. Don't the parents need privacy, and same goes for two teenage boys ...weird I also can't imagine walking around with no shoes on anywhere, I can't even walk without socks and slippers at home I can understand they are following a certain lifestyle but those teenaged boys do look brainwashed, and it just can't be healthy to never be around other people, and just be so sheltered under the parents control.

I find Vicki and her family to be very normal and fun, I love how her family is always joking around and laughing...it's great. Loved their house, beautiful!

I can't wait for the next episode when Vickie peels back some of Pappa's veneer to find out what makes him tick. I think the main thing missing from alternative families such as this one is MODERATION. When Tao mom was playing music with the new kids and trying to "connect", she was so rigid about the whole situation that she failed to see it was a perfect opportunity to connect if only she had loosened up and laughed with them. Let them play goofy songs and joke around. It was a gimmee. The whole Tao family is sorely missing a sense of humor.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    I didn't get to see the whole episode last night since it never fails that my phone rings whenever there is something I want to watch But from what I did see, I think the nature boys (sorry don't know their names. One is Kyle, but don't know the other) need to stop imitating poppa and get their own identities and ideas. I hope they learn to fit into modern day culture. TN mom seems like she is the life of the party and likes to have a good time.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Luke Abbot's website

I just visited Luke Abbot's web site, as well as the web site for the -- centertao dot "organization" -- Apparently, its "all in the editing...."

see -- playingbyear dot you know what (I can't post links, so you'll have to translate into url)

Laurie

I was charmed a bit by both families. One thing I've been struck by the last couple fo shows is that if a family picks up an out of the norm ideology, they are rabid in their beliefs and don't care about anything but their own ideals. If someone else (be it meat eater or rap music enthusiastic) has a different idea, they seem to be more closed off and won't even listen. I have enjoyed that Tn mom has almost everyother word bleeped. I find that her honesty is refreshing-she's definitely letting it all hang out!! The Ca father seems to want only his own views voiced and the Tn mom doesn't seem to know her place (as far as he's concerned). The Tn kids seem to be typical kids. I guess they were a little mocking, but nothing to cry for. I thought this show was real entertaining, showing the vast difference between normal and abnormal. Did we really think they would give equal care to each "side"?

I got this from another message board from someone claiming to be Earth Dad and cut and pasted it here with no editing on my part. I hope it is ok for me to do this, my apologies if not. I’m thinking it will be ok as it has been posted in another public forum. I guess I will find out if it gets deleted soon.

“Well, the cat's out of the bag now, I guess! Actually the show is TRADING SPOUSES on Fox, NOT Wife Swap. Hopefully a bit of the bluegrass music got past the editors! Here's the little 'press release' I wrote up:

"Tune in to FOX, Monday, December 6th and 13th at 8:00 PM and watch the Abbotts make fools of themselves on national television! That’s right, the Abbott family will be on the December 6th and 13th episodes of Trading Spouses. It all started with an email we received from a casting director who saw our web site and was interested in using our family for the show. Leslie and Luke were strongly opposed to going on the show, initially. Carl was the only one who was actually eager to be on the show. He saw it as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience something totally new and different, and he thought we shouldn’t be so quick to say no to that. Not only that, but we thought it could possibly further our efforts in helping other families play music together by showing how enjoyable it is. So we eventually decided to take the chance, and (so far) it has turned out to be an absolutely wonderful adventure/experience/‘vacation’. But we still can’t imagine how they’ll compress over a thousand hours of footage into these two shows . . . we’ll just have to find out!"
    -Luke Abbott”

He also posted to visit the website playingbyear, I looked at it and it is about Folk Music and had a link to a story they did on the Abbott’s/Trading Spouses show.

With regard to his statement above, I’m thinking it was actually Papa Smurf who made the final decision on whether or not they were gonna do this show. He also commented on wondering how the producers would ‘compress’ the many hours of footage.. To that I’d say, if you had a tv and watched any of these kinds of reality shows you’d know that they would take your worst or quirkiest characteristics and play them up big time probably making you look like a fool.

Was I the only one that noticed that the Abbot family has a sign on the outside of their house declaring them a place of worship???
    Don't churches get special designations in the States?? Such as not having to pay some taxes? A congregation of 4?
    I don't know - I see the Abbots as more of a cult than a family. I hope the boys get some exposure to the outside world before it's too late.

John- notice they didn't show us Papa's lair?? I wonder what the hell he has going on up there. And.. if he gets a private place to unwind and relax what makes him think that his wife and children don't need the same thing?? He could start with their own rooms!
    Sorry but I don't WANT to share a room with my 18 yr old son and his teen brother. It's an invasion of privacy - on all accounts
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Um.....No I do not want to sleep in the same room as my folks. I don't care if socities once slept together in the same room or on a dirt floor or whatever. If I were to roll over in my bed/floor and rol over l into my folks I'd flip out.

As Vicki said : "Ain't everything got to be a booty action where your booty sittin' on the floor"

[QUOTE=karen14]I got this from another message board from someone claiming to be Earth Dad
    With regard to his statement above, I’m thinking it was actually Papa Smurf who made the final decision
    [QUOTE]
    Oops, I read some more on the family and realize that Carl IS the daddy and the 18 year old Luke wrote the above comments. Sorry for the confusion.

+ Reply to Thread