+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 11/22 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

What upsets me the most is when the vegan mother told ZZ that he would die when he was 40. I know that he didn't have good eating habits, but who says that to a child?

I didn't really like the accents of the Southern family, but they grew on me.

Oh...and if vegan mom is so worried about the alligators, how about she just open the pond door and tell those gators how she feels.. :rolleyes

I thought it was funny how vegan mom thought ZZ didn't drink soda for a whole day, and he had drunk some behind her back. Or when she gave Diego a smoothie and she thought he liked that too, and he just left it in the driveway!! And then when she went outside to put out some stuff to recycle and ZZ shut the door!!

Lucy and Kevin...so cute! Reality tv fan's Avatar
    WOW, these two families are as different as night and day !!

Barbara was a bit annoying and sort of harsh with ZZ, I also thought it was inappropriate of her to tell him he was going to die by 40 if he continued his eating habits.....that's just wrong!! I don't think each family should force their eating habits on the other's family, because it just isn't going to work if that's the way their particular lifestyles are. I mean they're there only for a week and it won't kill each mother to blend into the new family's lifestyle, I mean it's ok, if they show a bit of each other's lifestyles but not force such things as eating habits and new foods down the others throats.....it'll only lead to trouble and frustration.

I didn't particularly care for Barbara, but thought the other mom seemed nice and more down to earth.

Should have known the vegan veirdo was a creep from the very beginning..." I hope she's ugly"
    leave the gun...take the canolis - The Godfather

Oh. My. God. Could they have found anyone more irritating than that vegan? Smug, self-righteous, superiority complex ... and those are just the adjectives that begin with S!
    I've had friends like this -- one wouldn't even carry my bag of groceries because it had meat in it. I always got the feeling it wasn't about meat at all, but their almost pathological need for rigid rules and structure.
    Anyway, I ran across this story, which probably explains psycho vegan's issue.

Many of the most unbalanced people I have ever met are those who have devoted themselves to healthy eating. In fact, I believe some of them have actually contracted a novel eating disorder for which I have coined the name "orthorexia nervosa." The term uses "ortho," meaning straight, correct, and true, to modify "anorexia nervosa." Orthorexia nervosa refers to a pathological fixation on eating proper food.

Orthorexia begins, innocently enough, as a desire to overcome chronic illness or to improve general health. But because it requires considerable willpower to adopt a diet that differs radically from the food habits of childhood and the surrounding culture, few accomplish the change gracefully. Most must resort to an iron self-discipline bolstered by a hefty dose of superiority over those who eat junk food. Over time, what to eat, how much, and the consequences of dietary indiscretion come to occupy a greater and greater proportion of the orthorexic's day.

The act of eating pure food begins to carry pseudospiritual connotations. As orthorexia progresses, a day filled with sprouts, umeboshi plums, and amaranth biscuits comes to feel as holy as one spent serving the poor and homeless. When an orthorexic slips up (which may involve anything from devouring a single raisin to consuming a gallon of Haagen Dazs ice cream and a large pizza), he experiences a fall from grace and must perform numerous acts of penitence. These usually involve ever-stricter diets and fasts.

This "kitchen spirituality" eventually reaches a point where the sufferer spends most of his time planning, purchasing, and eating meals. The orthorexic's inner life becomes dominated by efforts to resist temptation, self-condemnation for lapses, self-praise for success at complying with the chosen regime, and feelings of superiority over others less pure in their dietary habits.

This transference of all of life's value into the act of eating makes orthorexia a true disorder. In this essential characteristic, orthorexia bears many similarities to the two well-known eating disorders anorexia and bulimia. Where the bulimic and anorexic focus on the quantity of food, the orthorexic fixates on its quality. All three give food an excessive place in the scheme of life.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Christel
    I didn't really like the accents of the Southern family, but they grew on me.
    The family is technically southern, but no way is that a southern accent
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by candor
    Oh. My. God. Could they have found anyone more irritating than that vegan? Smug, self-righteous, superiority complex ... and those are just the adjectives that begin with S!
    I've had friends like this -- one wouldn't even carry my bag of groceries because it had meat in it. I always got the feeling it wasn't about meat at all, but their almost pathological need for rigid rules and structure.
    Anyway, I ran across this story, which probably explains psycho vegan's issue.
    Whoever wrote that article should get a medal! Candor, I too have met people like that. It's very, very VERY odd, but how this person coined the term "orthorexia nervosa" is a hero! It's dead.on.

I am proud to say though, that I have successfully converted a vegan (neighbor). She about DIED when she saw me cleaning a turkey one year..my hand shoved inside, pulling out the gizzards/heart/neck. She honestly turned colors and about puked, she left pretty quick. Now, she will ALMOST do that... but she will eat meat. Her daughter (9 y.o. who hadn't eaten any meat in her life cuz it's mean to the animal) came to the door one day and asked, "Maveno, how do you cook cow?"
    She meant it too.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I think there's a similar condition for workout addicts ... goldsgym nervosa.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    Not for me. This show is the best!!!!!!

There's something to be said for people who go on national tv and show the world that they are actually CLUELESS to other's lifestyles. And that word is, "THANK YOU!"

I adore ZZ...I want to go fishing with him. He's a firecracker, and I love it!
    He's got more sense to him than the whole vegan family put together.
    I agree about the clueless people being on national tv- but the problem is they should be learning something, not shoving their beliefs and lifestyles on others. The first few episodes I loved, but now... :phhht (although I will keep watching )

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    The family is technically southern, but no way is that a southern accent
    Cajuns sound totally different from southerners. I love to sit and listen to them when we visit Louisiana. I miss Justin Wilson and his cooking show. He was a real Cajun.
    ZZ's dad is pretty laid back. I thought that the fur might fly when vegan mom threatened to wash the kids mouth out with soap. I agree with Duxxy there. That isn't punishment, it's abuse. Besides that I don't think the mom's should lay a hand on the other kids. I would rather see them just mellow out and enjoy the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    I think Diego is hawt!
    Same here...seems really nice, too. Kinda dumb, but that's ok.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread