+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 11/15 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

[removed by mod]

I thought the Egly mother was a miserable person. She was mean-spirited, a poor sport, downright nasty to be around. I can't understand these people who sign up for these shows, get a big cash prize at the end, and can't suck it up and play nice for one stupid week? They can't explore and open their minds and try to understand and learn about other ways people live? I'm sure Fox has a lot to do with it, editing-wise and all. And I gasped when her daughter called the Doverspike mom a b*tch. That was just wrong.

I found this interesting on the Trading Spouses website, because I don't recall it being brought up on the show. No wonder Mrs. Doverspike feels so blessed. She IS blessed!
    The Doverspike Family has two daughters, whom they adopted, and both the mom and dad are cancer survivors.
    I liked them, personally.

Sounds like next week will be another doozy. I'm glad this installment of Trading Spouses was kept at one hour. I don't think I could've handled two.
    Last edited by hepcat; 11-17-2004 at 04:07 AM.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

LUCYGRL
    [QUO. I have a problem with Christians who spend a lot of time praying and studying the bible. To me, a true Christian is out there helping the less fortunate - living the principles of Christ.[/QUOTE]

I know this isn't a religion site But I gotta say I am a Christian and the only way you would really know how to live and act in a Christlike manner IS to pray and read/study the Bible. The less fortunate are not always people without money/things they are the ones without God.
    I had a problem with the Jewish mom saying the family was "friggen wierd" just because they spent time praying together. Why would that be offensive. I think it would be more offensive being disrespectful to their elders and visitors in their household and people who have different beliefs/lifestyles.

The Doverspike Family has two daughters, whom they adopted, and both the mom and dad are cancer survivors.

The above info helps me to understand Ann Marie better. I thinks she believes that God helped her and her husband beat cancer and feels extremely blessed. Yes, she's over the top with her blessings and I couldn't handle having her around me for long, but she's basically a good person with emotional problems.

Stephanie was extremely rude and close-minded and her daughters are miniature versions of her. No one was forcing Christianity down her throat. Her behavior, while different, is as bad as the fat woman on last week's Wife Swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    This was my least favorite TSpouses.
    Me too.

I can get behind the concept of switching people with different lifestyles, such as a mom who is way too strict with her kids, and a mom that is way too lax. They can each take something home from the experience, there's plenty of middle ground.

But what can happen by switching a staunchly Christian Republican with a seriously Jewish Democrat? Will the Jewish mom go home being "a little more Christian"? Will the Republican mom go home with newly found Democrat leanings? Of course not! What was the point of this?
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Just so we're clear, it's okay to discuss the religious beliefs of the participants of the show, in context of the show. It's not okay to question other members on their beliefs. And remember to please keep this thread focused on the show. If you wish to discuss Christianity or Judaism in general, find a website that specializes in that type of discussion.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Zaam, your little tale had me laughing so hard.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Anne-Marie didn't strike me as very Christian at all. Yes, she loudly proclaims she's a Christian, but she was the Queen of smiling and saying how much she wanted to BLESS everyone, and then -- still with the smile on her face -- would say something extremely derrogatory about the Egly's. That's not Christian, that's using Christianity as an excuse for bad behavior. I mean, talk about passive-aggressive!! Anne-Marie said the Egly's weren't interested in learning about her religion and that disappointed her terribly. Well, did she show an interest in learning about theirs? No.

Her argument in favor of abstinence had nothing to do with love or respect or anything like that -- she advocated abstinence because if you sleep with someone who's really good in bed, then marry someone who isn't as good, you'll constantly be thinking about what you're missing. Ummmm... WHAT? Talking about yourself much, Anne Marie?? Where's the stuff about love and respect and communication?

Her Happy Christian routine didn't strike me as authentic at all. In fact, what she described as "happiness" appeared manic, self-aggrandizing and narrow-minded. A true Christian doesn't need to go around telling everyone how much she's going to bless the people around her, she acts in such a way that demonstrates kindness, patience, openness and generosity. Anne-Marie was none of those things. She just said she was and, I guess, maybe if she yells it loud enough one or two people will believe her.

Stephanie was bad, too. But at least she wasn't a hypocrite. She didn't pretend to be nice when she felt like being peevish. Of course, at times she was just plain rude, and that was ugly.

I agree with others, this was the worst episode I've seen.

Worst episode?

Quote Originally Posted by realfun
    Anne-Marie didn't strike me as very Christian at all. Yes, she loudly proclaims she's a Christian, but she was the Queen of smiling and saying how much she wanted to BLESS everyone, and then -- still with the smile on her face -- would say something extremely derrogatory about the Egly's. That's not Christian, that's using Christianity as an excuse for bad behavior. I mean, talk about passive-aggressive!! Anne-Marie said the Egly's weren't interested in learning about her religion and that disappointed her terribly. Well, did she show an interest in learning about theirs? No.

Her argument in favor of abstinence had nothing to do with love or respect or anything like that -- she advocated abstinence because if you sleep with someone who's really good in bed, then marry someone who isn't as good, you'll constantly be thinking about what you're missing. Ummmm... WHAT? Talking about yourself much, Anne Marie?? Where's the stuff about love and respect and communication?

Her Happy Christian routine didn't strike me as authentic at all. In fact, what she described as "happiness" appeared manic, self-aggrandizing and narrow-minded. A true Christian doesn't need to go around telling everyone how much she's going to bless the people around her, she acts in such a way that demonstrates kindness, patience, openness and generosity. Anne-Marie was none of those things. She just said she was and, I guess, maybe if she yells it loud enough one or two people will believe her.

Stephanie was bad, too. But at least she wasn't a hypocrite. She didn't pretend to be nice when she felt like being peevish. Of course, at times she was just plain rude, and that was ugly.

I agree with others, this was the worst episode I've seen.
    Im not really sure if this was the worst episode, it was a tad different than the others thats for sure. I agree with the points I am quoting above about Anne Marie, and for the most part stephanie, excepting that I don't think she was rude, she is like me (a 47 yr old male) and my mother (a somewhat older than me Jewish woman) we just say what is on our mind. some people think it is rudeness, but I personally don't particularily like to dance around when I can get to the point.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by lucygrl
    I know this isn't a religion site But I gotta say I am a Christian and the only way you would really know how to live and act in a Christlike manner IS to pray and read/study the Bible. The less fortunate are not always people without money/things they are the ones without God.
    I had a problem with the Jewish mom saying the family was "friggen wierd" just because they spent time praying together. Why would that be offensive. I think it would be more offensive being disrespectful to their elders and visitors in their household and people who have different beliefs/lifestyles.
    The lady seemed emotionally unhealthy. She thought she had a need to bless people. Too dogmatic, with very little self-interest and self-direction. And too worried about what others thought of her. There's healthier ways to raise kids than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpshaker

I thought the Egly mother was a miserable person. She was mean-spirited, a poor sport, downright nasty to be around. Trading Spouses was kept at one hour.

That's what I say. Why be that way? Especially when he cameras are rolling.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast