+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's all too much

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Bong or Booze.. in the big 'ole scheme of things, it is a GLIMPSE into other people's lives that we'd normally never know about. Whether it be a rich, or a poor family...why would we (as viewers) ever get so "involved" with the families to say "I'm sad that I watched"? Heck, if we're all suppose to get THAT involved, why aren't there hordes of viewers driving down to Georgia to help build the Cooke's a new home?

If you think about it, they (BOTH families) are benefiting a whole $50K from this ONE WEEK adventure. If the money can alleviate any "flaws" that the family has been living with (ie; roof, not enough rooms, appliances..etc), I'm not going to feel sad for anyone.

Bottom line IMO, there are MILLIONS of people that live destitute, and millions that live in all the creature comforts that $$ can buy...this show is taking a family from each demographic and having them experience something they've NEVER known (or acknowledged) before. We're the spectators, wishing and wanting for entertainment.. and inevitably hoping for the best for each family.

So, whether it's the bong or the beer that is being my "dumdown" for that hour...I'm not going to let my "feelings" for the show spiral into sadness that I watched, OR for how the families live.
    I'm just grateful that I'm not stuck watching a reality show that does NOTHING for my personal entertainment, cause this one seems to be doing just what I want it to do..entertain me.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

geez dude can you get any more melodramatic?? Reality tv is real people put in contrived situations to record their reactions. What's the biggie?
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

with the exception of the Cooke mother, none of these people look clinically depressed to me
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I have the opposite reaction. I see these people and come away with the conclusion that not every family is the same, and it's interesting to see what others think is normal. Sure, I thought the way the family treated Nana Nakamura like a slave was horrible, but she was happy to be so needed by her family, and frankly seemed disturbed by having won a lot of money.

I guess I'm saying that it's interesting to see what works for other folks. I would never let another woman have the reigns in my household, but it was normal for the Nakamuras.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

any way the wind blows redmermaid's Avatar
    This show is ripe for a Doctor Phil Special

Quote Originally Posted by Sadly
    Poor self-conscious Jay Cooke, overcome at the meaningless of life at the Levine's, connects with the emotionally starved children and tries to comprehend the behavior of their manic mother.
    I really didn't get that at all. A Bah Mitzbah (sp?) is a very important event in a Jewish boys life, so she was riding him a little hard, I would think that was normal given the circumstance. I was impressed that when he told her to leave him be (paraphrasing) she backed off. Obviously he felt comfortable expressing his opinions and feelings and knew that his wishes would be acknowledged and they were.

He pines for his simple country life with Brandi, his clinically depressed, misshappenly overweight wife, and his two seriously disturbed children who commit everyday atrocities on each other and the livestock. Does Jay long for the sweet release of death, as I do just watching him?
    I thought the eldest could use some discipline, maybe even meds but I didn't think the kids were disturbed in any profound way. What the boy needed were some rules and boundaries, kids push and test, it's up to the adults to set limits.

Their children will bury both of them before they reach 50, and then go on to ruin the lives of their spouses, who had no warning of the childhood abuse that they are doomed to perpetuate.
    Those kids seemed kind, thoughtful and compassionate to me. I didn't see any abuse flags there.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeWitch
    Those kids seemed kind, thoughtful and compassionate to me. I didn't see any abuse flags there.
    Your right, there were'nt any.

I am not going to feel sorry for any family that gets 50k and a possibility of then going on Renovate My Family. It is like going on the Big Spin Lottery in a way, consider them lucky.
    leave the gun...take the canolis - The Godfather

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12