+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bowers Family

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemermaid
    If you saw the episode, the Bowers were freely shopping for those bad "goodies." I think it's about making the right choices for oneself.
    And you must have missed my previous post. No where did I state that they had medical conditions- I am totally disgusted by the food they consume- and the poor eating habits are showing, obviously.

Here's what I said in my previous:

Frankly, as an obese person it's painful to watch it (I'm obese due to a medical condition), but at the same time as an obese person I want to protect them from snark. What it boils down to is poor food choices obviously. What this family needs is a dietician- and a good one at that, and mom needs to enroll in Cooking 101 ASAP. They are spending money on take out food so much that they could EASILY save and buy more nutritious, low-fat, low-caloric, less fattening foods with. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

What it boils down to is ignorance of how to eat correctly and self-control.

Edited to bold what I wanted to emphasize.
    "I only run if I'm being chased" (Dominique- Making the Band 3)

FORT Newbie

Yes it is very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by EVOO
    I want to correct you on what is bolded. It's actually not as 'extraordinarily rare" as one may think- with the occurences of diseases such as Hypothyroidism, Insulin Resistance, and Cushings Syndrome are increasing, as well as genetics- these are not as rare anymore. I have a half-assed theory that a lot of these diseases are partially caused by all the hormones that are injected into the meat that you eat these days, as well as the consumption of white sugar, BAD carbohydrate filled foods. Anyhow...enough from me.
    It is indeed very rare. I do medical research and I can tell you that as a percentage of the population those people who are obese due to a medical condition represent a very small fraction of the obese population of the US.

Your theory doesn't hold much weight from any evidence that has been gathered but consumption of large amounts of sugars will indeed lead to weight gain. It is however from a personal choice rather than a medical disease.

From a more personal note I will share a story with you. When I was in college I was into bodybuilding. Not taking a lot of drugs but just enjoying really working out hard. Then I was in a car accident which kept me from lifting weights. Well I couldn't lift but I kept eating like I was lifting. Well when I had recovered from the injuries(which really weren't too bad) I didn't have "time" it seemed to get back to working out. I had gotten lazy and going back to the gym seemed like too much effort.

Shoot forward ten years and I am looking in the mirror at a man in his early thirties who was five feet ten inches tall and weighed two hundred and seventy five pounds. Now both my lovely wife and my close friends all said things like " Don't worry about it, your getting into your thirties." or " Your big boned and can carry your weight well." It took seeing a picture from college to make me see what had happened.

That was two years ago and now I am down to one hundred and ninety pounds. I still have a little bit of weight to lose but I feel much better and I am a great deal more active. I just want to let people know that you are doing your friends and family any good by not telling them the truth about their weight if they have a problem. I know you are not wanting to hurt their feeling but I wish I had understood what I was doing to myself a bit earlier.

Very soon obesity will be the leading cause of death in the US. There is a reason that people who are fifty to sixty pounds overweight are called morbidly obese. Making excuses for people for whatever reason is not helping them.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Archery Champion Maveno's Avatar
    The whole family needs to treat each other with better respect.. and believe me, I understand the whole "family snarkfest" on each other because I grew up that way also. But honestly, they're overboard. They're forgetting that "loving each other" is a part of normal living as well, not just blatant funny-ha-ha, cut-you-down-jokes on each other that they're so accustomed to doing.

The mother is very brazen in her demeanor...and that comes as a direct result of a snarky family. She tries to be good with her manners, but from so many years of lacking them... she has forgotten how to conduct herself in other people's company.
    She's really annoying me because of it...as well as the host family.

On the other hand.. I think the host family needs to adjust their behaviors, it's only a BLEEDING WEEK! Seriously. Don't be so damned rude just cause you don't like "who she is". She's a different "breed" than them, and they know that...so the dad just seems to revel in being pissed off at her and allowing the kids to do the same.
    If she wants them to put dirty dishes in the dishwasher or put away clean clothes... for Pete's sake, DO IT! It's a WEEK. :rolleyes Then, after she leaves... complain. Not to mention that the cameras are rolling on every move, wouldn't you have the decency to swallow your pride for the sake of at least appearing as a compassionate family?

Honestly, the Bower family is scoring more points with me than the other family as hosts. They're taking that mother out to do fun stuff, play games, talk and laugh..etc..
    They're a good family when they're not snarking on each other and they do have some manners that they're trying to use while the "new mommy" is there. I'm liking them more than the other "we're too good for this shiat" family.

The weight thing.. yeah, they do eat bad stuff. They know they do, and it really doesn't look like they care.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Your reply's missing the point. The Pileks pay the maid, with their hard earned money, to clean the house so they can spend that time being a family (don't forget that both parents work). Why force the kids to do something you're PAYING someone to do for you? That makes no sense. Hiring a maid doesn't mean you're being a "slob." It means that you don't want to do any dirty work and to use that time for something more rewarding. The parents' job is to sustain a home and provide the best life possible for their children. The Pileks are blessed with the resources to do this, so no one should criticize them for doing that. It seems that their children aren't delinquents and do what they're supposed to do: going to school, listening to their parents, and being "good" kids. Oh, and if they aren't as blessed as their parents are, they'll adjust.
    I dont think I am missing the point, I just dont agree with children being lazy just because they have a maid hired to help clean the house. Why shouldnt they pick up a glass and put it in a dishwasher or unload the dishwasher. What is the big deal of putting your own clothes away?? Just because you are fortunate enough to be able to afford to HIRE someone else to clean your house, doesnt mean you cant pick up after yourself. The thing is they dont use their TIME for something more rewarding. Yeah, Mom goes shopping with the daughter, while dad goes and does thing with the son. They apparently dont do a lot of things as a family, just by the way they are acting with their Stand In Mom for a Week. I am sure they behave that way when Samantha is home too. No one is criticizing anyone for being able to afford a maid, but it will not hurt the children to pick up after themselves, if anything that could teach them values in life on how to depend on yourself and not on hired help. Samantha is doing great with Lisa's kids, I wonder why she dont use that at home with her own children.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Slam
    It is indeed very rare. I do medical research and I can tell you that as a percentage of the population those people who are obese due to a medical condition represent a very small fraction of the obese population of the US.

Your theory doesn't hold much weight from any evidence that has been gathered but consumption of large amounts of sugars will indeed lead to weight gain. It is however from a personal choice rather than a medical disease.

From a more personal note I will share a story with you. When I was in college I was into bodybuilding. Not taking a lot of drugs but just enjoying really working out hard. Then I was in a car accident which kept me from lifting weights. Well I couldn't lift but I kept eating like I was lifting. Well when I had recovered from the injuries(which really weren't too bad) I didn't have "time" it seemed to get back to working out. I had gotten lazy and going back to the gym seemed like too much effort.

Shoot forward ten years and I am looking in the mirror at a man in his early thirties who was five feet ten inches tall and weighed two hundred and seventy five pounds. Now both my lovely wife and my close friends all said things like " Don't worry about it, your getting into your thirties." or " Your big boned and can carry your weight well." It took seeing a picture from college to make me see what had happened.

That was two years ago and now I am down to one hundred and ninety pounds. I still have a little bit of weight to lose but I feel much better and I am a great deal more active. I just want to let people know that you are doing your friends and family any good by not telling them the truth about their weight if they have a problem. I know you are not wanting to hurt their feeling but I wish I had understood what I was doing to myself a bit earlier.

Very soon obesity will be the leading cause of death in the US. There is a reason that people who are fifty to sixty pounds overweight are called morbidly obese. Making excuses for people for whatever reason is not helping them.
    I refuse to go further into it with you, but I totally disagree with you on the whole 50-60 lbs being "morbidly obese". And honestly?? While it's one thing to be concerned, it's quite another to harp on one person about their weight. So, if you have a family member who is morbidly obese, don't nag. A talk here and there (if they choose to ignore it) as long as it's done with CONCERN isn't bad.

And btw, I'm not making excuses for people. I just think it's sad that society has to treat obese and overweight people like the pariah because fat is the least accepted prejudice. Like I said, it's one thing to be concerned- but quite another to nag. If a person doesn't want to change- then back off. Obviously they won't- not for you, not for anyone. So they are blind...that's their choice.

Anyhow- 50-60+ lbs overweight is NOT morbidly obese, and I cringe the day it'll come to that. You'll see a higher occurence of eating disorders once that happens.

I don't buy your medical research stuff at all- you'd be surprised at how many people are dealing with medical conditions that make it harder for them to lose weight. I've met many people, have talked with manypeople who end up with a disorder of some sort that has made it close to impossible for them to lose weight.

Anyhow- with that said- the Bower's do it to themselves. Barring any medical conditions (because let's face it, we may not know whether they have any or not but point is- we see what kind of foods they eat), their eating habits are atrocious.

I'm done with the other subject.
    "I only run if I'm being chased" (Dominique- Making the Band 3)

LG.
    Ok, I think we've flogged the weight issues quite thoroughly. Can we re-direct to some other aspect of the Bowers Family we'd like to discuss.

I liked the kids, but think esp the son needs to be given some boundaries so that he knows it isn't OK to flip off his mom, to swear and shout when he's being woken up at 10 am, etc. I think their hearts are in the right places and thankfully they have personality, but they are a little ragged around the edges. I loved watching them go bowling, especially when Samantha was encouraging to the son. Their "visiting mom" had best be figuring out what would be a good use for their money, as I like her a lot, but it certainly wouldn't be in The Bowers' family interest to blow the money on a "down payment" for an expensive car that would saddle them with debt that they can't afford to keep up the payments.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Medical or not.. it's quite obvious the family doesn't have any heated debates with anyone in regards to their weight problems.
    I've never understood why people are so concerned with some other person's or family weight issues. *This is NOT directed to anyone in particular on this site..*.. Like, Mrs Pilek, for instance. Who says that she NEEDS to be concerned with their weight? Sure, she may have the secret of youth with her low-carb diet shiat...but who is SHE to say that they need to "get on board" with a healthier diet??
    Maybe they don't really care about being fat, perhaps they are happy being the family that they are.

If I drink too much, it is absolutely NOBODY'S business to tell me that I need to sober up and/or stop drinking all together. Whether the advice will "save me" or not, it is simply MY decision.

Does this make any sense to anyone, besides me?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    LG's post wasn't posted when I was typing this... Sorry LG, the topic is dead to me.
    Last edited by Maveno; 08-10-2004 at 05:43 PM.

LG.
    no problems, Mav, I think we were both composing at the same time.

Isn't there anything to say about this family that isn't related to their weight? What about that nasty swimming pool mess in the back yard. Maybe they can't afford to get the pump fixed, but if it's truly a lost cause, roll it up and shove it in a corner so you still have a decent yard.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOO
    I have a half-assed theory that a lot of these diseases are partially caused by all the hormones that are injected into the meat that you eat these days, as well as the consumption of white sugar, BAD carbohydrate filled foods. Anyhow...enough from me.
    [/b]
    This theory isn't too supported. The Bowers are a clear example of freedom of choice, and Maveno's pretty much right about medical conditions being blamed too much for human choice. It was little caddish of the father to blame being fat solely on his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    Medical or not.. it's quite obvious the family doesn't have any heated debates with anyone in regards to their weight problems.
    I've never understood why people are so concerned with some other person's or family weight issues. *This is NOT directed to anyone in particular on this site..*.. Like, Mrs Pilek, for instance. Who says that she NEEDS to be concerned with their weight? Sure, she may have the secret of youth with her low-carb diet shiat...but who is SHE to say that they need to "get on board" with a healthier diet??
    Maybe they don't really care about being fat, perhaps they are happy being the family that they are.

If I drink too much, it is absolutely NOBODY'S business to tell me that I need to sober up and/or stop drinking all together. Whether the advice will "save me" or not, it is simply MY decision.
    .[/b]
    It may be your decision, but if someone is causing a public disturbance or hurting others like a spouse or child, the law has a say in it and that person should be ashamed of him or herself.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bunny
    I dont think I am missing the point, I just dont agree with children being lazy just because they have a maid hired to help clean the house. Why shouldnt they pick up a glass and put it in a dishwasher or unload the dishwasher. What is the big deal of putting your own clothes away?? Just because you are fortunate enough to be able to afford to HIRE someone else to clean your house, doesnt mean you cant pick up after yourself. The thing is they dont use their TIME for something more rewarding. Yeah, Mom goes shopping with the daughter, while dad goes and does thing with the son. They apparently dont do a lot of things as a family, just by the way they are acting with their Stand In Mom for a Week. I am sure they behave that way when Samantha is home too. No one is criticizing anyone for being able to afford a maid, but it will not hurt the children to pick up after themselves, if anything that could teach them values in life on how to depend on yourself and not on hired help. Samantha is doing great with Lisa's kids, I wonder why she dont use that at home with her own children.
    Your post missed the point. They probably didn't do much that week, because they felt uncomfortable with the new mom. A child's main responsibility is to do well in school, listen to his or her parents (assuming the parents aren't abusive or anything), and be a productive citizen, not to do menial dirty work that the parents are paying someone else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bunny
    Just because you are fortunate enough to be able to afford to HIRE someone else to clean your house, doesnt mean you cant pick up after yourself..
    It really depends on what you're paying the maid to do. If she leaves and you have a leftover plate on your table, you can put it away yourself, but if you're paying someone to do it for you, they should do it. That is their JOB.
    Why would any loving parent force their children to do janitorial work that a hired cleaner does when they can use that time for something else? That's like tipping a waiter while walking to the restaurant kitchen to fetch your own food. Don't get me started on the tips issue either.
    Anyway, the Pilek family situation reminded me of an episode of this lower or working class family on tv (maybe it was Roseanne?). The father refused to buy gifts for his kids, because he wanted them to learn the worth of a dollar through getting jobs. No financially secure father would do something like that unless the kids were being disobedient troublemakers.
    Last edited by Littlemermaid; 08-10-2004 at 06:39 PM.

It may be your decision, but if someone is causing a public disturbance or hurting others like a spouse or child, the law has a say in it and that person should be ashamed of him or herself.
    Nobody is talking about being a public disturbance and/or hurting someone else. Not so sure if you're just wanting to debate, or just making a statement that the "law has a say" in a person's private life. Either way, I have many (too many) thoughts on this subject in which I have previously said I'd refrain from revisiting.

+ Reply to Thread