+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Pilek Family

I don’t think it would have mattered if the Pileks’ “new mommy” was Mary Poppins; they weren’t going to like her. I am guessing it was Samantha’s idea, because they seemed very resentful about the whole situation. I blame Jurek. He was rude and impolite to Lisa, so the kids felt it was okay for them to be rude and impolite to her too. Lisa is not blameless in this, because sensing the hostility, she should have backed off, but instead she kept forcing herself on them and imposing her will. Granted her children are better behaved, but they are severely overweight, so I don’t think she has the right to criticize his parenting techniques. Can’t wait to see how the money is allotted.

Quote Originally Posted by NYGal
    I don’t think it would have mattered if the Pileks’ “new mommy” was Mary Poppins; they weren’t going to like her. I am guessing it was Samantha’s idea, because they seemed very resentful about the whole situation. I blame Jurek. He was rude and impolite to Lisa, so the kids felt it was okay for them to be rude and impolite to her too. Lisa is not blameless in this, because sensing the hostility, she should have backed off, but instead she kept forcing herself on them and imposing her will. Granted her children are better behaved, but they are severely overweight, so I don’t think she has the right to criticize his parenting techniques. Can’t wait to see how the money is allotted.

ITA.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Newbie

Bah

I have to disagree with most of you. I mean the dad doesn't seem to have a great personality but he's not in a really good position. I expect that the whole idea was his wife's and he's just going along with it.

The kids are just doing what their parents have stressed is important. The boy goes to the gym every morning and they both do a lot of activities so they aren't lazy.

It seems to me some posters seem upset that the family can afford the things that they do. For example people seem to think that having a maid is bad when you can clean up yourself. Well everybody can cook dinner every night but if we can afford it we like to pay other people to cook for us don't we?

Really I think this family is acting like most people would if they had a troll come live with them for a week. For god's sake Lisa has all the charm of a two week binge drinking episode. If she had tried to take my grilling stuff over and over again when it was clear I was not finished with it she would have been wearing it instead.

First of all.... Uncle Slam. From your name I can tell we can expect excellent posts from you! Can't wait!

Secondly, I agree with you that the Pilek family are not lazy simply displayed by their extra curricular activities. Very good point in comparing cooking every day with occasionally dining out, if we have the moolah to do so we retain the right to do it. There is no doubt that I would LOVE a maid if I could afford one.

That said, to have a maid does not excuse the parents from teaching the kids simple chores of life. I just don't want to be the kids' roommate the moment they leave home. There would be no way that I pick up their stuff or do their dishes. I think it's part of the parents' responsibility to teach their children how to live in the "real" world, that is, where money (or maids) do not grow on trees.

Lastly, I agree with the grilling stuff... What was with that excessive "are you done yet?" I mean, if that was teasing that was not funny, and what is she? Twelve? That bowl would have ended up somewhere the sun don't shine.

I really like Samantha, she seems like a nice lady, and I'm not going to knock her for a having a nice lifestyle. Most of us grew up doing lots of chores around the house. I sure did, but now I have different ideas for my kids. I want them to be responsible, but life's too short and if you can afford help, get it! As long as they are doing something like reading, playing sports, etc. it's ok. It's NOT ok if they are sitting around watching tv....but I want them to enjoy themselves. Of course they have to do minimal stuff, but Lisa doesn't need to come in and impose her own rules on the house. Her house wasn't looking so clean to me! She should shell out some money and take healthy cooking classes so her kids don't order dominos and steak sandwiches every night - they way she lets her kids eat is the real crime. I'll take slightly spoiled children over unhealthy obese ones any day.

FORT Newbie
    I just wanted to point out that none of us really know if the Pilek children have chores or not, we only know that they don't typically include the dishwasher or putting away laundry. Lisa appeared to go in with a chip on her shoulder & arrived at the conclusion that these kids don't do chores, but I never once saw her ASK anything. If she had sat down with the family & asked for their typical routine she would have found out about the maid. If she wanted the kids to do chores, she could have sat down with them & explained this, and outlined what the chores were. Instead she barked out instructions from halfway accross the room, or the front yard (now who's lazy?) & she delivered them in a manner that made it clear that she thought the kids might not obey her.

I think it is painfully obvious that Lisa thinks these kids are spoiled & lazy. NOW stop & imagine how Jurek must feel. I certainly couldn't manage too much hospitality for a woman who was so clearly disdainful of my children.

When I first saw this episode, I thought, Oh no, another Tammy! But Samantha is only like Tammy in the blonde, well-off financially, doesn't have to do housework and cooking, and carb counting departments. She seems really sweet and she isn't nearly as rude or lazy as Tammy was. Her kids seem a little like Stepford kids, though. A little too perfect looking. Of course, she is very pretty. They obviously take after her in the looks department.

FORT Newbie
    ElvisVegas, I totally agree with your entire post.

Actually, I thought Jurek and the kids reactions were pretty funny. I felt sorry for them for having to put up with her behavior.

Lisa can't be all that bad because she seems to be married to a decent guy and her kids are well behaved and likeable. Samantha on the other hand, while a seemingly nice lady, is married to a jerk and her kids are bratty.

FORT Newbie
    It's funny how two people can watch the same thing and come away with totally different ideas about the people. I don't think Lisa is bad - just unaware of her role in the tension created in the house. Not bad, just very annoying.
    I seem to hold the minority opinion about the Pilek kids, but I thought they were polite and mature for their ages. They were very calm in comparison to Lisa's kids - who I also thought were good kids, just a little more excitable and full of nervous energy. The Pilek kids definitely strike me as having more confidence.
    I also didn't see Jurek as a jerk so much as someone who was trying to keep his temper under control living with someone who he wouldn't otherwise choose to spend time with. Instead of blowing up at Lisa, he let's his frustration out in more subtle ways. His reactions were quite funny to me.
    It is fun to see everyone else's take on the show.

+ Reply to Thread