+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Episode 2 Recap - Whatchoo Talkin' About, Tammy?

Quote Originally Posted by sher
    ...Tammy and Anthony leave to get the food for the party. They head downtown to “Eatzies,” an expensive little eatery where you can get fancy food to go.
    Thanks Sher for the excellent recap.

That is an interesting bit of information on the food store I did not know from watching the show. It's good to have a local Dallas writer doing the recap.

I happen to think Tammy is an attractive woman, although her personality is not so great. Nevertheless, I was rather amused by the ascorbic humour throughout the recap making fun of her.
    "The greatest myth in the world is that beauty equals goodness." Leo Tolstoy

GREAT recap sher!!!!!!!!!!

Keep 'em comin'!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Awesome awesome grinding of Tammy down into the delusional dust which builds her personality.

As for HER family? Here's how I see it.
    -Tammy is probably pretty nice to her daughter, because Tammy sees her as her eventual successor. Luckily for the world, Natalia seems to have a very different disposition than her mother. In other words, she takes the attention Mom no doubt gives her, and just kind of overlooks the bad lessons in deportment. Mela's analysis of her was dead on. She's just a sweet girl, and maybe takes after her Nana without her Mom really even realizing it.
    -The son is probably mostly ignored by both parents, although Dad may occasionally try and impose some structure on him.
    -Yuki, the husband, is probably never around. He wants, and likes, his wife to be an "organizer" and a pseudo-socialite, because he's trying to fit into the status-oriented society of that region.
    -Nana we've talked about endlessly. She's so used to how she's treated, it probably only bothers her subconsciously. Tammy probably scorns her secretly, but is smart enough to not show it in front of her husband.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Newbie
    Tammy seemed to have an insult on the tip of her tongue from the very beginning "Niko, you better learn. Nana may not be around" to "I mean, we may have more plates, more forks...yadda yadda" all the way to "Its better for us..tax bracket." Almost everything she said offended me. Especially, the girl chat at the nail salon. I am sure Mela could has dispensed some advise as well about what NOT to do to be perceived as a total donkey by the American public.

Answer me this:
    Why did Tammy think she was good with kids? Why did Tammy think she is positive? Why did she think anybody enjoyed her party? Why did she think she could save the Biggins family? (As if they need to be saved-they look perfectly happy to me!)
    Why was she so surprised that she did not get a big send off? Didn't she realize that nobody cared for her company and they were all ready for her to leave, even Shugar????

I'm in Dallas and the newspaper did a follow up. Tammy said, with editing, they made her seem like the villian. So no, folks, she did not learn her lesson.

I think the Biggins family are the ones who are turly rich!

BTW, Who is counting Niko's carbs?

Missed Episode One --- and it sounds like Tammy was an even worse beeyotch on that segment. I almost crapped myself laughing at the fact that she had Omar flipping the breaker switch while she dried her hair to go to the waterpark -- and really? She really had to be dragged out of bed by the kids every morning, AND they had had to make their own breakfast? Damn, that's harsh. Don't get me started on her demands to eat out, even after Anthony told her the family was on a budget.

Favorite quotes (as I remember them) on Episode Two:

"Fifty thousand dollars may not be a lot to me or you (us, the viewers) but it means a lot to this family." Yeah, I know 50 grand won't settle me for life, but that is indeed a big chunk of change for about 70% of America.

"The parties I throw at my house are just the same. I may have more plates, spoons, and forks . . ." C'mon -- that's a downright insult. Better to just say, I may have a bigger house, a different crowd, and catering . . .those are true facts. To dig at someone's lack of dishes? Please.

When is reading a Chicken Soup for the Soul story ever appropriate to read to kids and hubby? Maybe on church day, or maybe on a holiday, or even after dinner when you're having a family moment -- I wouldn't think to try to get people to weep at this oh-so-sugary-it's-not-really-true over a casual dinner of barbeque chicken.

Tammy's kids were sweet -- Natalia shushed her dad when he wanted to discuss ways around being bound to spend the money as dictated by Mela. Unlike the Biggins kids, who seemed very disappointed over their $500 each, Natalia and Niko didn't seem to mind that Nana got it all. Of course, money is not so scarce to them . . . I was kinda hoping that Tammy would put the money for college education for the kids -- but immediate financial relief is probably more appreciated by the Biggins at this time. I was actually a little surprised that Tammy made good judgements about the money -- I really thought she would be more materialistic -- like making them get the house fixed up with new furniture, or hiring a nutrionist to cook for them, with excercise equipment spread throughout the house.

And the grand prize goes to Nana -- oh, the horror, the utter look of amzement as Tammy realized who the money went to. Seemed to cheer up a bit later, when thinking of Nana's new tax bracket --- because it's not like Nana earns her friggin' keep around the house or anything. Wonder what kind of guilt trip Nana was taken on after the cameras were gone -- you just know Tammy had to make all sorts of snide comments.
    Kudos to Mela -- couldn't have spent it any better! Bet the cameramen and producers were just dying to have that letter read (I would assume that they would know beforehand, so as to make sure Nana would be at the meeting.)

Not even bad editing could make someone look that bad all the time.

I hope this is a wake-up call for Tammy -- hope she is able to realize that she needs to work on her personality -- and do a friggin' puzzle with her son every once in a while.
    I got chills; they're multiplying . . .and I'm losing control, 'cuz the power you're supplying -- it's electrifying!

Quote Originally Posted by GorlNextDoor
    Tammy seemed to have an insult on the tip of her tongue from the very beginning...
    The best (or worst) example was "Nana really knows her place." The statement alone was classist or racist. The facts makes it even worse; as it turns out, Nana's place/role was a domestic servant instead of mother-in-law or grandmother.

My other favourite quotes:
    "(Tammy) would fit right along with any family that you put her with. I wouldn't doubt it if within 2 or 3 days she was bossing them around." Yuki's prediction in the introduction turns out to be quite accurate.

"I'm Anthony's new wife. He threw her out and picked me up." Tammy's attempt at humour did not amuse the party guests, mostly Mela's friends and family.
    "The greatest myth in the world is that beauty equals goodness." Leo Tolstoy

I totally agree with you, Bill! I really like how you think, friend.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill747
    The best (or worst) example was "Nana really knows her place." The statement alone was classist or racist. The facts makes it even worse; as it turns out, Nana's place/role was a domestic servant instead of mother-in-law or grandmother.
    Classist ,maybe, but I doubt racist.

Your recap is fantastic.

Still trying to figure out where Nana place is. How about on the beach in Hawaii or maybe in Tahiti while Tammy gets to do all the house work.
    Last edited by fit_chick5; 08-02-2004 at 01:07 PM.

I would never say Tammy is a racist. She's just self centered.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast