+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Episode 1 Recap - What In The Hell Is Positivism?

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    This is a genius recap of what I eventually realized was a genius show (at least this one episode of it).

Tammy really IS evil, and I'm still trying to figure out how her kids seem so normal. Mela and Nana may be right to be concerned that the kids have never known what it's like to be poor and needy, but it's mainly the ex-truck-driver (which I think would argue she was poor) who is dealing with money in the worst way. The kids I think wouldn't deal well with poverty, but it would be confusion, not snottyness like their mom has that would be the problem. Dad Nakamura is, I think, normally something of a non-entity around his house and LETS Tammy run everything and he's probably even set the tone for his mother being treated like a servant.

The Biggins are a bit harder to analyze I think. There are some problems there, but they are more subtle.
    Tammy's kids seem so normal, in fact, have such normal lives is because they AREN'T raised by their so call "mother". She doesn't seem to be there for her kids, which they are probably better off without. The kids are raised by their grandparent, Nana who seems to instill alot of good values to them. I don't think their dad is much better than his wife in that regard. The mere fact you raised about the dad being a non-entity means he's NOT doing his job and therefore has as much to blame for their kid's dysfunction as their mother. Of course thank god that dysfunction is always corrected probably by Nana's love and care. She saved the day. Way to go Grandma!

Come to think of it now, what bothered me was when Tammy said "Nana knows her place". What a friggin beotch!!! I just don't understand that...how could ANYONE allow their wife to treat his mother that way??

Shame on Yuki.
    "I only run if I'm being chased" (Dominique- Making the Band 3)

Great recap Sher. Thanks
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by sher
    Upon finding out that Nana is 72 and does 600 crunches a day
    ----------
    Tammy gets even madder and says, “I do NOT feel like cooking!” I kept waiting for Anthony to say, “Yeah? Well… do you feel like my boot up your ass?!”
    ----------
    Later, Mela heads to the game room and sits with Niko to put a puzzle together. After a few minutes, Niko says, “My mom would never do this with me.” Mela says, “Really? Well, she’s probably got a lot to do.” Niko says, as if trying to convince himself, “Yeah, she’s got a lot of other things to do.”
    ----------
    Omar has to wake up Tammy. She says that she will get up but this morning she is getting her coffee – and it won’t be any of that instant crap, either.
    ----------
    Apparently, her hairdryer is so high wattage that it throws the breaker. Over and over again. So what does she do? She forces poor Omar to stand in the closet next to the breaker box and flip the switch each time it goes dark… about 40 times. Omar is mad. Not only does this poor kid have to wake her every morning, make his own breakfast and get up to nuke her coffee in the microwave, but now he has to stand guard over the breaker box so Ms. Vain can fix her hair properly before heading to the water park. Yes, you heard me. She is going somewhere that her hair does not need to be fixed, yet she cannot leave the house unless she is fully decked out with full makeup and hair.
    Wow, 72 and 600 crunches a day? Go Nana.

Tammy really sounds like a beyotch. I didn't watch the first episode but will definately watch the second episode to see Anthony lose the polite on her blonde head.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Missed the episode at first,but just saw it on my friends Tivo. I can't believe that grandmother could bust out that many crunches. I mean I don't think she's lying it's just I am astounded. Man, after I saw the show I went home and tried to do some crunches and passed out.

pos-i-tiv-ism

Not that i care one arse's hair about this lady but this is the meaning of the word positivism!

pos·i·tiv·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pz-t-vzm)
    n.
    Philosophy.
    A doctrine contending that sense perceptions are the only admissible basis of human knowledge and precise thought.
    The application of this doctrine in logic, epistemology, and ethics.
    The system of Auguste Comte designed to supersede theology and metaphysics and depending on a hierarchy of the sciences, beginning with mathematics and culminating in sociology.
    Any of several doctrines or viewpoints, often similar to Comte's, that stress attention to actual practice over consideration of what is ideal: “Positivism became the ‘scientific’ base for authoritarian politics, especially in Mexico and Brazil” (Raymond Carr).
    The state or quality of being positive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    posi·tiv·ist or posi·tiv·istic adj.
    posi·tiv·ist n.

positivism

\Pos"i*tiv*ism\, n. A system of philosophy originated by M. Auguste Comte, which deals only with positives. It excludes from philosophy everything but the natural phenomena or properties of knowable things, together with their invariable relations of coexistence and succession, as occurring in time and space. Such relations are denominated laws, which are to be discovered by observation, experiment, and comparison. This philosophy holds all inquiry into causes, both efficient and final, to be useless and unprofitable.

positivism

n 1: the form of empiricism that bases all knowledge on perceptual experience (not on intuition or revelation) [syn: logical positivism] 2: a quality or state characterized by certainty or acceptance or affirmation [syn: positivity] [ant: negativism]
    I'm NOT Touching YOU! :phhht

Quote Originally Posted by did_it_again
    Missed the episode at first,but just saw it on my friends Tivo. I can't believe that grandmother could bust out that many crunches. I mean I don't think she's lying it's just I am astounded. Man, after I saw the show I went home and tried to do some crunches and passed out.
    She is cleaning a 5100 sq ft house as well, do you think she counts all the work she does in the house as well ? The house they live in is over 5100 sq ft and it cost somewhere around 850,000.00. and Nana is the EVERYTHING, she cooks cleans does it all, while tammy sits on her BUM and orders Nana around and fetches her coffe refills!

Yeah ,I thought that was pathetic. How can you sit back and watch a older lady do all that work. I think that rich lady needs to show some respect for Nana. I know that Nana is an old school kind of lady and she doesn't want to sit around while people wait on her, but some one needs to step up to the plate here.

seriously, how hard would it have been for her to say, "i think the most important thing i bring to this family is my positive attitude."

you gotta have a possitive attitude first before you can bring one with you. Like her demanding for the hubby to GO FETCH ME SOME FOOD NOW! and I NEED REAL COFFEE NOW! and the worst one yet, YOU STAND THERE IN THE CLOSET LITTLE BOY AND FLIP THE SWITCH WHEN I SAY YOUR NAME! Ohhhhhhhhhhh, she is a piece of work that Tammy is! I bet she was wishing for Nana to go with her! Nothing like being independant and taking care of your self, but again it makes me wonder if her Hubby sent for Nana when the children were small because he saw she wasn't and couldn't do a good job at it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast