Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Biggins Family.

Melas saving grace in asking that question was her attitude. She was respectful and sincere. I think for many of us it seems these are things she should have already have known ,but at least now she hopefully does. I'm sure there are quite a few things that we all should know ,but don't so I'm going to ease up on her a little. Ignorance can be cured .Stupidity can not.
    She really seems like a sweet person .

FORT Newbie
    true, true... she was ignorant... and it doesn't say much about our educational system. people don't need to defend her for that. it may denote too sheltered a cultural existence. she may not be the smartest either, which is a different subject altogether, but that's neither here nor there. but she seemed genuine enough and kind enough.

as for the family's rudeness at the end, there is no excuse for that. two wrongs don't make a right. passive-aggressive methods are almost always rude. aside from that, the family does need a lesson in healthy eating despite tammy's lack of tact. too often poor families are sold plentiful, cheap, unhealthy fare by the processed food corporations that have little concern for the health of citizens. these premade foods are purchased for convenience for working families that have no nana at home or nonworking homemakers, and because they are so cheap like cereal. i'm not advocating atkins like tammy, but i would suggest that the biggin's family pay closer attn to their diets, and on occassion turn the prowrestling off and watch pbs once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by jubamai
    true, true... she was ignorant... and it doesn't say much about our educational system. people don't need to defend her for that. it may denote too sheltered a cultural existence. she may not be the smartest either, which is a different subject altogether, but that's neither here nor there. but she seemed genuine enough and kind enough.

as for the family's rudeness at the end, there is no excuse for that. two wrongs don't make a right. passive-aggressive methods are almost always rude. aside from that, the family does need a lesson in healthy eating despite tammy's lack of tact. too often poor families are sold plentiful, cheap, unhealthy fare by the processed food corporations that have little concern for the health of citizens. these premade foods are purchased for convenience for working families that have no nana at home or nonworking homemakers, and because they are so cheap like cereal. i'm not advocating atkins like tammy, but i would suggest that the biggin's family pay closer attn to their diets, and on occassion turn the prowrestling off and watch pbs once in a while.
    a.) Did we ever hear them say they watch Pro Wrestling? I think that could be an assumption.
    b.) Some people think that PBS is somewhat culturally biased to not appeal equally to all ethnic groups.
    c.) Tammy herself is no good model of culture and sophistication for these people. I think under her airs, Tammy is still the same uneducated rube she started out as, before meeting her husband. This wasn't so much a switch of people with different levels of cultural comprehension, as much as it was a switch of people in different economic brackets.
    d.) As for the comment about pre-made corporate conglomerate foods, etc... poverty is like that, of course. And the Biggins are indeed... Big Uns. But it NEVER works to tell people that the habits of a lifetime are wrong. That kind of change has to happen over time, I think.
    e.) I don't think they were rude at the end. They were ASLEEP and likely there hadn't been any pre-arrangement for them to wake up and say goodbye. The Nakamuras didn't wake up either, except for Nana who felt an obligation on her own (or is habitually up doing slave labor for Tammy that early everyday anyway). Why is it any ruder with one family than the other?

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I get the feeling Tammy doesn't watch a lot of PBS nor do I believe she would know what it stands for. If it wasn't for the fact that she married rich she's be watching pro wrestling if not actually wrestling herself. She's two face lifts away from looking like Jack Nicholas as the Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Frosty, that's spoken in the Philippines. Tagalog.

Off the top of my head: Afrikaans, Swahili, Luganda (which I only remember because of a punchline to a linguists' joke) but there are dozens. Somali is a language not just a country. I'm betting on Arabic and French, too.
    Oh... *curses whoever told her it was spoken in Ghana*

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostelized
    I think this family is absolutely sweet and heartwarming. The kids are a little bit rude, but whatever. Kids are rude. LOL

One thing that annoyed me was Al-Meela's question about Asia. I wasn't sure what to expect when she said "I don't want to sound uneducated..." And the question that popped out made her seem that way indeed. Of course, Fox decided to air it and promote a stereotype (further than the ones they already have.) Blech to Fox.
    That question was pretty silly. I thought EVERYONE knew that every country in Asia, South America, Europe, Africa, etc has its own culture and history? Guess not.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by decan
    Yes you got a point about the Yuki part. But the thing is and I'm only going to defend Mela this last time... Mela is not really ignorant per say but just confused more than anything...... look, at the very least she does recognize the different countries in Asia.... she can name Japan, Vietnam, Korea can't she? The question she rasied was merely what languages they speak.... and if you aren't familiar with that part of world, it's a legit. question to ask..... I think it's "bad editing" on FOX's part more than anything imho

As for your point about why her age and social experience do not match her "geography" smarts, I think that's a bit unfair comparision. Look, do YOU know what languages they speak in every African country (without looking it up on the internet)? Mela has the same difficulty in her knowledge of Asian culture, yet I'm sure in the very near future she will learn alot more about Asia, particularly Japan from her new best-friend, Nana. So I wouldn't worry about it. Mela is just fine the way she is. In fact I say she is incredibly smart for finding such a wonderful, sincere and caring friend as Nana.
    It was a pretty inappropriate question considering that she can always look up information on Asia or any other part of the world.

But Littlemermaid, are you forgetting that she actually stated that she didn't know and didn't want to sound ignorant?? At least she let him know.
    "I only run if I'm being chased" (Dominique- Making the Band 3)

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOO
    But Littlemermaid, are you forgetting that she actually stated that she didn't know and didn't want to sound ignorant?? At least she let him know.
    She did state that at first, but do you think the question was appropriate?

No, I admit I totally cringed when she asked it, but to be fair to her, she did state that she didn't know and apologized beforehand, so that scored a few points (albeit not many) in my book.
    "I only run if I'm being chased" (Dominique- Making the Band 3)

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast