Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 60

Thread: The Biggins Family.

  1. #31
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1
    I kinda think the Biggins family, besides Mela, is a little rude. It could just be the guest they were having, though. No matter how rude Tammy was, they were JUST as bad when they were chewing and burping when she was reading her story to them. The end part got me mad too. When Mela was reading off how the money was spent. I would have at least SEEMED more grateful or happy if I learned that my debts were paid off. The Dad was just like "Yeah, great. That B%^(@H is awful though. And I'm not saying Thank you"


    And as nice and kind as Mela is, I bet her kids know even less of Asian culture than she does. Even if kids don't learn about it in school, they should know and learn about other cultures, rather than thinking that they only need to know about the U.S of Atm, which the whole world revolves around.

    I'm not saying that the Biggins think that, but some people do.....Anyway, I hope I didn't sound condensending.

  2. #32
    God Bless America! Rumpshaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    48
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by ObservM
    ....rather than thinking that they only need to know about the U.S of Atm, which the whole world revolves around.
    Hmmm, I don't really know how to take that comment ....

    I kinda wonder if Mela was just nervous when she made that comment about the languages, etc. I know when I get nervous like that, my brain takes a dump on me. She had just jumped in the car with Mr. N and was probably nervous and excited and tried to make small-talk and just misspoke, then feigned interest in languages to get Mr. N to talk. I dunno. Just a thought. I really loved Mela! She's a neat lady. I thought her kids were great, too. Having two teens myself, and being around their teen friends, in comparison, Mela's kids were really well-mannered and respectful. I think considering the company (Tammy) by the end of the week they had just emotionally tuned out from her BS. I don't blame them at all ... woulda done it myself!
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

  3. #33
    FORT Fan decan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    I LIVE HERE
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by ObservM
    I kinda think the Biggins family, besides Mela, is a little rude. It could just be the guest they were having, though. No matter how rude Tammy was, they were JUST as bad when they were chewing and burping when she was reading her story to them. The end part got me mad too. When Mela was reading off how the money was spent. I would have at least SEEMED more grateful or happy if I learned that my debts were paid off. The Dad was just like "Yeah, great. That B%^(@H is awful though. And I'm not saying Thank you"


    And as nice and kind as Mela is, I bet her kids know even less of Asian culture than she does. Even if kids don't learn about it in school, they should know and learn about other cultures, rather than thinking that they only need to know about the U.S of Atm, which the whole world revolves around.

    I'm not saying that the Biggins think that, but some people do.....Anyway, I hope I didn't sound condensending.
    well don't get your hopes up too high imo..... you're slandering a family that doesn't deserve it.

    What's the point for making quick baseless judgements on the kids? You don't know what the kids know or not know, the show simply did not say they are 1- ignorant of Asian cultures 2- more ignorant of Asian cultures than their mom

    You sound like you have an axe to grind or something.... what did Mela ever do to you to say such horrible things about her and her family?

    The chewing and burping was NECESSARY! Anybody who took what Tammy was mumbling at the dinner table seriously is stupid! She doesn't deserve respect.... certainly not after you boss around the house, telling (not even asking or say please) people to clean this or fetch that or impose some stupid rules only when nobody's watching, you break the same rules you imposed on others.....

    Rude they're not, being fair (to the situation/ to Tammy) is what it is.

    The dad WAS pleased! What are you talking about? 'Thank you' was probably the first words coming out of Mela and her husband mouths when they had their first reunion with the two families after the show. And anyway, what it comes down to is that the money was given by FOX not the Nakamura family.... the thanks should be given to FOX more than anything if you really think about.

  4. #34
    FORT Fan decan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    I LIVE HERE
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    I think Mrs Biggins should have shown a bit more respect for herself by joining the party, instead of acting the part of servant.
    She was nervous more than anything imo. I mean what do you do when you're basically in a room completely full of strangers and yes, the Nakamuras are, to a certain degree, strangers to her as well!

    The thing that should've been done is for the Doc to introduce Mela to everyone and make her as comfortable as possible his first piority.... or for the kids to do that.... where was HE in the party anyway?

    And don't forget the "guests" probably thought she WAS a servant from their first impression of her because of the color of her skin.... I'm not saying that because the guests are bigots, I'm just saying that because the party is one big "snow" party and Mela does seem out of place (initially).

  5. #35
    Peppermint Patterson EVOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    La La Land
    Age
    36
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by decan
    well don't get your hopes up too high imo..... you're slandering a family that doesn't deserve it.

    What's the point for making quick baseless judgements on the kids? You don't know what the kids know or not know, the show simply did not say they are 1- ignorant of Asian cultures 2- more ignorant of Asian cultures than their mom

    You sound like you have an axe to grind or something.... what did Mela ever do to you to say such horrible things about her and her family?

    The chewing and burping was NECESSARY! Anybody who took what Tammy was mumbling at the dinner table seriously is stupid! She doesn't deserve respect.... certainly not after you boss around the house, telling (not even asking or say please) people to clean this or fetch that or impose some stupid rules only when nobody's watching, you break the same rules you imposed on others.....

    Rude they're not, being fair (to the situation/ to Tammy) is what it is.

    The dad WAS pleased! What are you talking about? 'Thank you' was probably the first words coming out of Mela and her husband mouths when they had their first reunion with the two families after the show. And anyway, what it comes down to is that the money was given by FOX not the Nakamura family.... the thanks should be given to FOX more than anything if you really think about.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!
    "I only run if I'm being chased" (Dominique- Making the Band 3)

  6. #36
    Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    735
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpshaker
    Hmmm, I don't really know how to take that comment ....
    Me either Rumpshaker... me either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpshaker
    I kinda wonder if Mela was just nervous when she made that comment about the languages, etc. I know when I get nervous like that, my brain takes a dump on me. She had just jumped in the car with Mr. N and was probably nervous and excited and tried to make small-talk and just misspoke, then feigned interest in languages to get Mr. N to talk. I dunno. Just a thought.
    I kind of thought that too. When I first heard her ask that, I'll admit I cringed too. But then I thought how many times have you stuck your foot in your mouth when trying to get a conversation started? It happens to the best of us. Maybe she just didn't know how to word the question? Assumptions about her *lack of* knowledge could go on forever.
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

  7. #37
    FORT Fan fit_chick5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    254
    Wow !!that's all I could say regarding Mela's question. I think I can buy into her nervousness having something to do with the question. Brain farts happen to the best of us,but I get the feeling she really had no clue.

    I know she lives in Texas and Texas may not be the most racially diverse place,but she did attend school and she at least has to watch the tube right?
    That was embarrassing for me to watch.

    Tammy oh my ,my,my. I'll save her for later.

  8. #38
    *** Bill747's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada.
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostelized
    I'm just assuming this, but she probably knows that France, Germany, etc. are all in Europe and that they speak their respective languages. It just confused me as to why she would think Asia was any different. (The best guess I can think is because supposedly all asians look the same, and she thought Taiwan, Korea, etc. were states just like the USA ) But another point I want to make w/ that question was it proved she's never heard of the Japanese language, the Korean language, etc. And it's just a bit shocking.
    In defense of Mela, I'm sure she did not intentionally mean any disrespect to Asians by her question. She may be confused because people in Taiwan and China do speak the same language (Chinese). And people in North Korea and South Korea speak the same language (Korean).

    Moreover, Chinese/Japanese/Korean are related languages. Although totally different verbally, but in written form the 3 languages are similiar. Chinese & Japanese share 40% of root words. Chinese & Korean share 60 % of root words. So an educated Korean can easily communicate with an educated Chinese by writing. So Mela was more insightful than she realized.
    "The greatest myth in the world is that beauty equals goodness." Leo Tolstoy

  9. #39
    Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    7,969
    That should end the debate.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

  10. #40
    Fool... but no pity. Krom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    21,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill747
    In defense of Mela, I'm sure she did not intentionally mean any disrespect to Asians by her question. She may be confused because people in Taiwan and China do speak the same language (Chinese). And people in North Korea and South Korea speak the same language (Korean).

    Moreover, Chinese/Japanese/Korean are related languages. Although totally different verbally, but in written form the 3 languages are similiar. Chinese & Japanese share 40% of root words. Chinese & Korean share 60 % of root words. So an educated Korean can easily communicate with an educated Chinese by writing. So Mela was more insightful than she realized.
    I think it's more than that. I don't think it's inherently disrepsectful to Mela herself to point out that she doesn't appear to be very educated--at least in matters outside her own sub-culture. It's not her fault, and has little to do with her actual level of intelligence, but she's just been dealt bad cards in her life. She's seen stuff about Asians on TV. That may be it.

    It may be hard to comprehend if you are someone who reads the NY Times, watches the Discovery Channel and PBS, and read "The Good Earth" when you were in middle school and "Shogun" a few years later. Some people grow up in a cross-cultural/educational vacuum, even still. If you don't live near 'em, read about them, or see 'em except on sitcoms and the occasionally movie... what are you going know?

    As for school... heck, I'm about 5 years older than Mela, although from a much different cultural background, and even in an honors program recall getting very little useful information about Asian cultures. I got it all through my own interests, as well as the fact that after my childhood I lived in more racially diverse communities. In school, it's entirely possible that all Mela got about Asia was that we fought someone over there in WWII and Vietnam, and some generic interchangable seeming stuff about various historical things (as opposed to cultural ones--which rarely get taught).
    Last edited by Krom; 07-30-2004 at 04:09 PM.

    "You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.