Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Biggins Family.

Quote Originally Posted by EVOO
    Well, if they truly are hurting for money then maybe they shoujldn't have bought that summer home...just sayin'.

Like I said, $50k is chump change to people like this. With that said, I'm glad it's going to Nana and not them.

Tammy's comment on the tax bracket at the end?? UGH.
    EX-ACTLY! If the kids don't have enough for college wouldn't you think the parents (errrr I mean the dad) will sacrifice one of their many riches to help pay the bill?

The tax bracket was ugh :rolleyes to me too! I think she wants all the winnings for her-greedy-self! For a weekend at some expensive trip getaway or something, you know for reliving herself from the "pain" and "suffering" she endured the previous week

Quote Originally Posted by decan
    I don't think Mela's approach to the question about Asia was any indication to her character or her intelligence. She doesn't understand Asia. Period. Now the way she approached that question might seem to be a bit "uneducated" but that doesn't mean anything in my book. Everyone of us cannot possibly know everthing there is to know about this world and some people are not as well versed in world geography (for example) as others but that doesn't indicate any lapse of intelligence per say instead that is just what being who we are, as human beings, who are imperfect and flawed.
    Intelligence aside for a moment, it was shocking display of ignorance. Every school kid learns about the bombing of Pearl Harbor in WWII, or the wars in Korea and Vietnam. Even if you never went to geography class, you would have had to play hooky from history and political science to avoid learning about Asia. How can you get to Mela's age thinking that all countries in Asia are the same and all speak the same language? That's a lot of years spent avoiding newspapers or speaking to anyone outside of her circle of friends and family.

Imagine if Yuki had turned around and asked her if everyone spoke the same language in Africa? We would find that incredibly ignorant.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Intelligence aside for a moment, it was shocking display of ignorance. Every school kid learns about the bombing of Pearl Harbor in WWII, or the wars in Korea and Vietnam. Even if you never went to geography class, you would have had to play hooky from history and political science to avoid learning about Asia. How can you get to Mela's age thinking that all countries in Asia are the same and all speak the same language? That's a lot of years spent avoiding newspapers or speaking to anyone outside of her circle of friends and family.

Imagine if Yuki had turned around and asked her if everyone spoke the same language in Africa? We would find that incredibly ignorant.
    Yes you got a point about the Yuki part. But the thing is and I'm only going to defend Mela this last time... Mela is not really ignorant per say but just confused more than anything...... look, at the very least she does recognize the different countries in Asia.... she can name Japan, Vietnam, Korea can't she? The question she rasied was merely what languages they speak.... and if you aren't familiar with that part of world, it's a legit. question to ask..... I think it's "bad editing" on FOX's part more than anything imho

As for your point about why her age and social experience do not match her "geography" smarts, I think that's a bit unfair comparision. Look, do YOU know what languages they speak in every African country (without looking it up on the internet)? Mela has the same difficulty in her knowledge of Asian culture, yet I'm sure in the very near future she will learn alot more about Asia, particularly Japan from her new best-friend, Nana. So I wouldn't worry about it. Mela is just fine the way she is. In fact I say she is incredibly smart for finding such a wonderful, sincere and caring friend as Nana.

Intelligence aside for a moment, it was shocking display of ignorance. Imagine if Yuki had turned around and asked her if everyone spoke the same language in Africa? We would find that incredibly ignorant.

When she asked Yuki that question I cringed. Sweet person ,but come on!

Even a person who watches TV twelve hours a day and never reads a book should know that. A friend of mine told me one of her co workers asked her "what language they speak in Europe,is it European?" So of course I asked my friend if she works with Jessica Simpson.
    That was a classic case of "Shoulda kept your mouth shut"

As for your point about why her age and social experience do not match her "geography" smarts, I think that's a bit unfair comparision. Look, do YOU know what languages they speak in every African country (without looking it up on the internet)?
    I know better than to expect the entire continent to be speaking one language. Mela was surprised to learn that different languages are spoken in different parts of Asia. I don't expect much of graduates of our public school system, but there are some basics Americans should know about the world.

We're talking about a TV contestant, not me, so I won't go there, but you'd be surprised what I know without looking it up on the internet. But I do have an unfair advantage on this subject. I studied languages for many years and ended up married to a linguist, so this kind of stuff is daily conversation for me.

Mela does a fantastic job of managing her family while being the breadwinner, and I think it showed most in how respectful her kids were in face of someone who bossed them around while sitting around breaking her own rules. They cooked and cleaned for themselves without complaining - Mela has obviously done something right to have such great kids.

I don't think Mela's approach to the question about Asia was any indication to her character or her intelligence. She doesn't understand Asia. Period. Now the way she approached that question might seem to be a bit "uneducated" but that doesn't mean anything in my book. Everyone of us cannot possibly know everthing there is to know about this world and some people are not as well versed in world geography (for example) as others but that doesn't indicate any lapse of intelligence per say instead that is just what being who we are, as human beings, who are imperfect and flawed.
    I agree, but in my opinion, it seems as though some things should be common knowledge. Do you know what I mean? Just like 2+2. People who are the appropriate age would be able to instantly say 2+2=4 (if they had the proper education, etc. etc.). I'm just assuming this, but she probably knows that France, Germany, etc. are all in Europe and that they speak their respective languages. It just confused me as to why she would think Asia was any different. (The best guess I can think is because supposedly all asians look the same, and she thought Taiwan, Korea, etc. were states just like the USA ) But another point I want to make w/ that question was it proved she's never heard of the Japanese language, the Korean language, etc. And it's just a bit shocking.
    Last edited by Frostelized; 07-28-2004 at 05:32 PM.

I know better than to expect the entire continent to be speaking one language. Mela was surprised to learn that different languages are spoken in different parts of Asia. I don't expect much of graduates of our public school system, but there are some basics Americans should know about the world.

We're talking about a TV contestant, not me, so I won't go there, but you'd be surprised what I know without looking it up on the internet. But I do have an unfair advantage on this subject. I studied languages for many years and ended up married to a linguist, so this kind of stuff is daily conversation for me.

Mela does a fantastic job of managing her family while being the breadwinner, and I think it showed most in how respectful her kids were in face of someone who bossed them around while sitting around breaking her own rules. They cooked and cleaned for themselves without complaining - Mela has obviously done something right to have such great kids.
    The only African language I can name right now is Tagalong I know at least 2 more, but their names escape me.

Frosty, that's spoken in the Philippines. Tagalog.

Off the top of my head: Afrikaans, Swahili, Luganda (which I only remember because of a punchline to a linguists' joke) but there are dozens. Somali is a language not just a country. I'm betting on Arabic and French, too.

Name 5 different languages spoken on the African continent. I mean, I think of Africa, and Egypt comes to mind, then South Africa... how much do I really know about this gigantic, diverse continent?

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    (slapping forehead with hand)
    Hmm.. all this crappy language, knowledge, country, goeography crap made me forget what I was going to say.

::sigh:: Is it REALLY that important whether she should know or not!?!??!?!

Here..try THIS topic;

I think Mrs Biggins should have shown a bit more respect for herself by joining the party, instead of acting the part of servant.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast