+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The "twist" - the moms decide how the money will be spent

The "twist" - the moms decide how the money will be spent

"TRADING SPOUSES: MEET YOUR NEW MOMMY" HAS A TWIST: FAMILIES EACH RECEIVE A $50,000 PRIZE, BUT THE SURROGATE MOMS AND DADS DECIDE HOW TO SPEND THE CASH

First Episode of Two-Part Premiere Airs Tuesday, July 20, on FOX

Families on TRADING SPOUSES: MEET YOUR NEW MOMMY each receive a $50,000 prize for participating in the show but, unbeknownst to the participants, how the cash is spent will be up to the surrogate parent. The twist is one of many in the unscripted FOX series that ups the ante on the classic fish-out-of-water story by having spouses switch families to take over a clan from another walk of life.

The participating families knew about the $50,000 prize before the series began filming. However, in part 1 of the series premiere, airing Tuesday, July 20 (8:00-9:00 ET/PT) on FOX, the moms learn that they will decide which members of their surrogate family get the cash – and how they'll spend it. And their families won't find out until part 2 of this adventure airs Tuesday, July 27 (8:00-9:00 ET/PT) on FOX.

TRADING SPOUSES: MEET YOUR NEW MOMMY is from Rocket Science Laboratories, the producers of "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiancé" and "Joe Millionaire." Jean-Michel Michenaud and Chris Cowan serve as executive producers. Sean Alvarez is producer. Charles Duncombe serves as executive in charge of production.

I didn't watch this episode (I just checked and there are a couple of repeats in my neck of the woods) but I did read Sher's recap. If I was Mela I would spend the $50,000 buying Nana maid service for a year -- or put down a retainer on a good divorce attorney for Yuki.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Bunny
    I didn't watch this episode (I just checked and there are a couple of repeats in my neck of the woods) but I did read Sher's recap. If I was Mela I would spend the $50,000 buying Nana maid service for a year -- or put down a retainer on a good divorce attorney for Yuki.
    I think those are two of the greatest ideas I've ever heard, DB! I LOVE Nana! I hope she gets some major pampering thrown her way with the $50,000 prize. (Although, common sense is screaming at me that Tammy will never allow this to happen .... she'll put Nana to work watching the kids and the house and go to a resort by herself for a week, most likely .... {gag!})
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I didn't think I'd like this show at first, but it's become one of my favorites.

One question re "the twist," does each family really have to spend the money the way the visiting mother/father designates?

I'm guessing that this is thrown in for shock value to the families and therefore entertainment value to the viewers, but in the end, Fox just hands them each a check for $50,000. I mean, it could cost Fox $50,000 just to monitor the spending. Then you could have legal issues over what someone meant. Like on the trading fathers show last night, Jay designated $10,000 (I think that was the amount) on "personal training" for Beverly and Justin to "come closer as a family" or something to that effect. Beverly and Justin both assumed that meant personal training as in working out at the gym. I think Jay meant counseling with a therapist and just didn't describe it very well. I just can't see Fox bothering with this. I used to work with trusts, and would see similar situations all the time. Someone leaves $50,000 to their grandson for "education," then you spend a year in court trying to determine what "education" is because the grandson wants the money but doesn't want to actually have to go to college.

+ Reply to Thread