+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 11/05 Show Discussion (Season Finale)

FORT Fogey

Re: 11/05 Show Discussion (Season Finale)

Eddie and Nathan were not the only cast members who did not embrace Preston. Perhaps it was Preston who distanced himself. I am making no judgements here, just observing.

Preston said he required a lot of alone time and did not appear to make an effort to get to know anyone and this happened straight out of the gate. It was not in reaction to what became a hostile environment. I am not condoning any nasty comments thrown his way but rather saying Preston was an active participant in his relationships on this show. This did not happen in a vacuum.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

I agree with everyone who said that Preston's design was their favorite. I would definitely let him decorate my home. While I liked Ondine's townhouse, I would not prefer her style for my house. Nathan's style is very quirky, and I'm sure that's why the judges chose him for the win... I wouldn't trust him to do my place though.
    At least Preston can take some solace from the people's vote who chose him for the win (was it 62%?) by a large margin.
    I'll miss seeing these designers each week! Good Luck to all!

I agree Shoepie. While I think Preston is mad talented, I just keep thinking about the fact that Eddie and Nathan were mostly universally liked while Preston was almost universally either disliked or shunned. *shrugs* but for me all that is beside the point.... the point is...... I didn't like any of the finished houses! I thought they were either way too busy or under designed.

Nathan: The winner? Seriously? With all those white walls? It looked like he barely phoned it in. Was he that confident or had he run out of ideas? I really expected some over the top and wacky things from him and he let me down.

Ondine: Her colors didn't make a lot of sense to me. Her walls were so busy and all that black and white with yellow strewn through out? Yuck. I just saw it as busy busy busy. She should have edited a little more.

Preston: VERY masculine design; however, he should have won. For one he has been consistently good. No, his design isn't to my liking. None of them are. However, I can recognize good design and he has it. His town house looked finished and put together. It looked very expensive and like a show piece. The others looked almost sloppy?

Took me a while to finally watch it and I've yet to even see the elimination discussion but since I already know from here who won? Not sure I'd even watch it. I must say that through out the season Eddie amused me and I didn't have the issues others had with him..... till I saw how nasty he was with his comments about Preston and how 180 they were from how Preston was talking. *shakes head*... I still don't HATE Eddie but my tolerance for him took a serious nose dive.

Anyways, that's just my opinion. Like I've said before, personally I prefer a very open and non-cluttered design plan that looks somehow expensive and pulled together. It's why I didn't like what Nathan and Ondine did.... and yet... somehow I still liked Prestons.

FORT Newbie

Hello,

I am a fan of this program, just like project runway. First of all i don't think that interior decorating is really designing, becease you don't invent or create something. It's more like styling! But that doesn't matter tho i still like it and think you have to be creative.

I am very interested in you guys opinions about this tho:
    Alltho i really liked the show i was kinda suprised how bad the "designs" where, i couldn't believe it!! Maybe its becease i am from the Netherlands and there is a difference in culture compared to USA about what is esthetically beautifull.
    But to be honoust none of the competitors would stand a chance in western europe i think. It is almost childish from a western european perspective how Nathan (the winner) designs for example. I was for example surprised how enthousiastic the jury was about the chair he designed.... And the room in episode 8? Oke it was fun to see, but really....
    I think all the designs from the competitors where either grandma'ish or to extreme and over the top. The use of colors, a lot off patterns and the rooms are always kinda full of stuff and little things like the use of (grandma)flowers didn't impress me at all.
    Its almost like they where all inspired by the kitsch europeans styles (renaissance, english tea style....and so on).
    The modern european style is way different tho. Its more about the space and form, the use of color is also less in your face, more sophisticated in my opinion. Its more about the space as a whole then all the little details.
    But then again i am maybe kinda more indoctronated by the modern wester european style of designing.
    What do you guys think? Is there a difference between american and western european design? And if so wich one do you prefer?

(srry for my broken english)
    Last edited by Wakkaman; 11-07-2008 at 08:01 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Wakkaman;3230143;
    Hello,

I am a fan of this program, just like project runway. First of all i don't think that interior decorating is really designing, becease you don't invent or create something. It's more like styling! But that doesn't matter tho i still like it and think you have to be creative.

I am very interested in you guys opinions about this tho:
    Alltho i really liked the show i was kinda suprised how bad the "designs" where, i couldn't believe it!! Maybe its becease i am from the Netherlands and there is a difference in culture compared to USA about what is esthetically beautifull.
    But to be honoust none of the competitors would stand a chance in western europe i think. It is almost childish from a western european perspective how Nathan (the winner) designs for example. I was for example surprised how enthousiastic the jury was about the chair he designed.... And the room in episode 8? Oke it was fun to see, but really....
    I think all the designs from the competitors where either grandma'ish or to extreme and over the top. The use of colors, a lot off patterns and the rooms are always kinda full of stuff and little things like the use of (grandma)flowers didn't impress me at all.
    Its almost like they where all inspired by the kitsch europeans styles (renaissance, english tea style....and so on).
    The modern european style is way different tho. Its more about the space and form, the use of color is also less in your face, more sophisticated in my opinion. Its more about the space as a whole then all the little details.
    But then again i am maybe kinda more indoctronated by the modern wester european style of designing.
    What do you guys think? Is there a difference between american and western european design? And if so wich one do you prefer?

(srry for my broken english)

I am not familiar enough with western European design enough to comment intelligently on this subject. Certainly different cultures vary in decor. In our magazines, homes from Europe are sometimes featured and I do not see them as particularly different.

This show focuses on styling more than the interior design industry's broad range which often includes construction changes and can be very involved. It does take artistic talent to do this. There is no time to allow for this in a TV show. High end interior decorators often design furniture to be built for the spaces they do.

The decorating shows on TV often have a 24 to 48 hour time limit for challenges and the contestants have to purchase what is available in the stores alocated for this. In real life a town house would probably take close to a year to complete, as Ondine mentioned and include structural changes.

It is a subjective medium as is any art and we all have different tastes.
    Last edited by shoepie; 11-07-2008 at 08:23 AM.

Wakkaman welcome.

I completely agree with you and it's sort of what I just posted. I actually didn't love (barely liked) most of the finished designs. While I could appreciate how talented they were, I thought they weren't all that great and too fussy/busy or barely designed.

From your description? Seems like I prefer a more European design since I really can't stand a cluttered look and all those "popping" colors.

I definitely perfered Nathan's and Ondine's townhouse's over Preston's. In fact I had a tiny little hope that perphaps Ondine would win. I really liked her pink sofa family room and the little girls room. Still while the pink sofa family room looked great I wonder how comfortable it would be to actually sit or sleep on one. That being said, I did not like the layout of the townhomes. On the outside they looked rather spacious but I hated how cut up the interior was. I perfer to have at least one big room in the house instead of a little 8x8 cutout that was the dining room and the family room. I would not buy that townhouse the floorpland looked awful.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

I liked Nathan's work and I'm glad he won.

However, I am struck by the difference between him and Preston. They are polar opposites. Preston is neat and controlled while Nathan is free-form and "splattery" (can't think of the right word!). Both do what they do VERY well.

On the one hand, one might think that the decision was a matter of personal taste. However, I think Nathan gets the edge just because his work is more than just aesthetically appealling, it is interesting.

Preston deserved a very, very, very close #2, though.

I too was really glad he won...he was so creative and suprising. I would certainly have him do my apt. I thought Preston was great...but very sterile for me and very 'hotely'. I was so suprized that he got a 62% popular vote so I guess I am in the monority. But Nathan's work was just something new that I hadn't seen before.

I also felt badly for Preston that Eddie was such a spitefull B@tch.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3230944;
    I liked Nathan's work and I'm glad he won.

However, I am struck by the difference between him and Preston. They are polar opposites. Preston is neat and controlled while Nathan is free-form and "splattery" (can't think of the right word!). Both do what they do VERY well.

On the one hand, one might think that the decision was a matter of personal taste. However, I think Nathan gets the edge just because his work is more than just aesthetically appealling, it is interesting.

Preston deserved a very, very, very close #2, though.
    I agree and think the word splattery is perfect! I would have Nathan do my house, as well. I like his design sense and I liked him as a person. A little cattiness is fine with me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast