+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10/22 Show Discussion Thread

FORT Fogey

Re: 10/22 Show Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PHan;3222180;
    I was disappointed in Ondine's room. I just didn't seem to click and the colors didn't mesh well. As a set designer, you would think she would have a better eye.
    I think her set design background is exactly what is throwing her off. The room had tiny details on the bedside tables that got lost in the long shot. Set design is all about the tight shot. Often sets are partial and one room can have three different sets for other camera angles. She just never stepped back to get the bigger view. Simon asked her that very question. She is not used to looking at things that way.
    Last edited by shoepie; 10-23-2008 at 05:43 PM.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar

So I'm guessing that Eddie decided that since he had to use only Jonathan's products in the Pop Design, that he'd just use only Martha's in his challenge room. He couldn't be eliminated so why not? I'm sure Martha will send him a bonus for doing it. His wall treatment was a horrifically bad tv home design show project.

I actually liked Andrea's room a lot, her chandelier was one of my favorites and it really worked great in the room. I can't believe that with picking decorative objects from the design center, that shell vase was the best she could do.

I loved Nathan's room, even though the paint job on his mural was incredibly sloppy. Was the light fixture THE feature of it, not really, but unlike Ondine's room, it did work with the room.

Preston's room was good, really good even. I kind of agree with Simon Doonan about putting the wall paper in the corners of the room would have let the negative space make a feature of the chandelier, instead of having to fight against the wallpaper, but I think he defended his use of it well. I really don't think that the starburst mirror was even needed, it looked as out of place as Andrea's shell vase, in my opinion.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Quote Originally Posted by azluna;3222192;
    Peach, I'm with you. I really didn't care for any of the rooms either. But I do think Preston's did the best job of highlighting his chandelier. Weren't those chandeliers fabulous? I was appalled by Eddie's room and laughed out loud when Margaret accused him of 'phoning it in'. Touche. (And Martha, if you're reading this: PLEASE reconsider letting him come back. I thought YOU had better taste!)

I think Jeff Lewis is referring to Eddie in the promos for next week. Or maybe just wishful thinking.....
    By Golly, that Jeff Lewis better not be referring to my Pretty Preston, that's all I can say! Harumph!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoferHawke;3222727;
    By Golly, that Jeff Lewis better not be referring to my Pretty Preston, that's all I can say! Harumph!
    I don't think you have to worry. Preston always looks so put together. On the other hand, Eddie is just horrible-looking from the inside out.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3222062;
    Preston. I don't particularly like him. I don't find him all that attractive either (listens for ChristopherHawk's scream). His rooms are well done but very formal and stiff. They all look like rooms off of a hotel lobby.

I love Simon, the guest judge!
    Calm the little head and gather your wits, ChristopherHawk. He is not really all that innovative. You must agree, yes? Good but not, WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3223513;
    Calm the little head and gather your wits, ChristopherHawk. He is not really all that innovative. You must agree, yes? Good but not, WOW.
    Believe me NONE of them are WOW!!. They might get an awww, ain't that cute, but not a WOW. P.S. I didn't realize that Sworoffski could produce such ugly crystal chandeliers. I liked the green one, oh I'm sorry, I meant peridot one best.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Can I say how much I love this show? It is just so far above the quality of Design Star that it is unbelievable.
    Eddie is just so full of himself it is unbelievable. I truly think Nathan is going to win, but it looks like Preston might be a contender too. Eddie's Martha Stewart style is just soooo grandma it's unbelievable. Preston and Nathan's designs come across as younger and more modern. I did love Andrea's chandelier, and thought she did well with it... if she would learn to accessorize better, I think she would be pretty good. AND she really is one of the few designers who has been pushing herself to try new things. We'll miss you Mrs. Ricky Schroeder.
    I thought that Ondine's light fixture was UGLY. It looked like a jelly fish, and I can't even imagine what she could have done with it to make it look good... maybe if she had done an all black and white room??
    Very interesting episode... the idea of designing the whole room around the light fixture was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by peach;3222129;
    I think I heard Andrea say last night that the guest Judge was Jonathon's husband.

BTW, I really didn't like any of the rooms last night. Maybe I just lack that high level taste, but the wild wallpaper and overdone accessories really don't do anything for me. I like simple and tastful. For that amount of money, I would think they could have done a lot better. Maybe it was too much money for the task and they all overbought accessories.
    Me, either! I guess I have no taste, because I hated most of the rooms. I do NOT understand what they're seeing in the stuff they praise in the last few episodes. Or why one room is so much better than another. I think there was far too much clutter and junk in most of them. I wouldn't want to "live" in any of them. And why the guest judge (Mrs. Adler) got so incensed about that stupid shell flower holder--was it really THAT bad, that it threw the entire room off? I just don't get it.

I especially hated last week's futuristic challenge. It made no sense to me. Did they want today's idea of futuristic (which is a design sensibility) or the designer's idea of futuristic? Because the room they liked the best could be found in any high-end bachelor's loft today. I swear they're pulling the winner's names out of a hat. And they don't explain enough about why they hate or like things, for us non-designers (of course, they don't even agree!). I was able to "play along" more with Next Design Star. This one feels more arbitrary.

I also don't think enough weight was given to who designed a room that showcased the light the best. I thought Andrea and Eddie did the best on that score.

Speaking of Eddie's light fixture, I've seen it before on a show like this. Maybe the chandelier itself is nice (it'd better be for that price!) but I think it looks REALLY tacky to have the cord hanging there visible. Seriously, shouldn't it have been designed so the electrical cord was part of the hangers? And the hangers are nothing special, either, so it looks like three cables hanging a the top. That's the first thing I notice, not the light.
    Last edited by snooky; 10-27-2008 at 12:54 PM.

FORT Fogey

And why the guest judge got so incensed about that stupid shell flower holder--was it really THAT bad, that it threw the entire room off? I just don't get it.
    Yes, it was really that bad! Fake flowers are bad enough but put in a huge plastic sea shell really kicked it over the edge to horrific. Plenty of people love silk flowers or buy art to match their decor at TJMax and that is fine for them if that is what they prefer. But not on a show designed to show you cutting edge style and good taste.

If the shell had been on a credenza against a wall, and not in the middle of the coffee table where they were sitting, would they have had such a negative impact? It was just one item among so many. I still don't see why the judges (especially the guest judge) gave it so much weight, when there was so much else to consider. Wall color or furnishings is a much bigger deal to me, because they're less easily fixable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast