+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 4/11/07 show discussion *possible spoilers*

Re: 4/11/07 show discussion *possible spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2327075;
    If he really was gay he would say aubergine instead of eggplant.
    You're right!

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

I thought they said Sting and Trudy had 8 houses. Five or 8, how eco-friendly is that? Didn't they also say they are environmental activists? How many trees gave their lives to clear the land and build those houses?

Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky;2327843;
    I thought they said Sting and Trudy had 8 houses. Five or 8, how eco-friendly is that? Didn't they also say they are environmental activists? How many trees gave their lives to clear the land and build those houses?
    I usually find celebritis to be real phonies when it come to their causes. Especially something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky;2327843;
    I thought they said Sting and Trudy had 8 houses. Five or 8, how eco-friendly is that?
    I think you are right. I think they said 8. I couldn't remember the exact number when I posted. 8 is just crazy. And it still doesn't make the multi-house owner a design expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2327123;
    I personally liked Carissa's design better. She divided up the space better and had achitectural details which Matt lacked. It was more fun and I could see myself using the space. Yes, Matt had more expensive items in his space but were they practical for day to day living. Curtains only for a master bedroom. I don't think so. Use the master bedroom for extra seating during a party. Again I don't think so. Either there is absolutely no sex in this marriage, and from comments from Matt, that he and his wife perfer a sterile space, I am surprised there were no double beds or another bedroom for the other spouse. It is obivious that the bed is only used for sleeping. Makes me wonder how the child was created. Sterile does imply invitro fertilization. I am glad Carissa had a chance to go to the finale, I have been sorta rooting for her as all her rooms have been fun, colorful and livable unlike some other designers. It seemed a shame to have a finale as the judges seem predisposed to giving the title to Matt.

I was certain they would hand the title to Matt. It reminded me of the first season of Last Comic Standing where all the veteran comics who had "paid their dues" felt they deserved to win over a newbie.

However, I did like Carisa's room better. As hubby said, it had better flow. Matt's master bedroom with the curtains that did not close all the way and were not totally opaque offered no privacy, and as the guest judge said, there was no "sexiness" in the bedroom. There also seemed to be little or no storage space. I also felt he did not live up to the promise of a "Versailles" princess room. He used that sad grape color that got the other guy kicked off, but the judges did not criticize his loft very much as they had already decided he would be the winner, imo.

Carisa's loft had storage, architecture vs. curtains, and also a work space. Based on the final project, I think she deserved to win. It was so funny when the first judge said he could imagine all kinds of freaky things going on in that bed/party pit. I would have cast Matt as a guest at their party (he has that great freaky 60s look), but not as the winner of competition. Don't you just wonder what his wife is like?

I will say that I did a 180 and liked Carl a lot in the finale. When Carisa came back from shopping and her team was busting it out trying to figure out the logistics of how to move all the heavy material up to the loft, she just stalked off in a snit, and I could really see how Carl had to "handle" her. I am not too proud to admit when I change my mind, and I ended up really liking Carl and his team. I have great respect for a strong work ethic.

Quote Originally Posted by NoBody;2326832;
    I wish Goyle and Andrea had a chance at that, I would've love to see what they could do. ESPECIALLY GOYLE.
    I would have liked to have seen that too, although since Goil was his own worst enemy, he probably would have had a meltdown from the stress of doing the final challenge. Of course as has been pointed out, Carisa did use Andrea's dining set (why didn't the judges comment on that?) - ha! - but overall I think that Andrea and Goil would have given us completely different spaces from the two that we saw in the finale.
    Last edited by Harvest; 04-15-2007 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;2331707;
    the judges did not criticize his loft very much as they had already decided he would be the winner, imo.
    You thought so?

See, since I'm used to the type of editing from Project Runway and from Top Chef, I thought they'd kept all of their negative comments regarding Matt's design IN...so that the audience might think that they were going to select Carisa's work--but really, it's just a red herring to swerve the audience.

I thought that what the editor left in was much more critical about Matt's space--especially Trudie as the guest judge.

[FA edit]

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;2331707;
    Of course as has been pointed out, Carisa did use Andrea's dining set (why didn't the judges comment on that?).
    It was mentioned in the blogs on bravotv.com, I think...but I read a review over on Salon that said that "Top Design" should really have been called "Top Consumer"--because so much of each challenge was simply buying stuff at the overpriced/limited selection stores at PDC.

So, picking the same dining chairs as another challenge may not be as egregious as it may at first seem, if there really weren't that many other options.

And certainly, it's better that someone ELSE had used those before...isn't it? Although, why wouldn't Carisa pick the same elements out from the same store that she'd liked and utilized in previous challenges for a space whose determinant was that SHE should pick what SHE liked?

Since neither Matt nor Carisa did pick something they'd already used, maybe as a judge I'd think "Oh, did you hate everything about everything else you've done?"

Just a thought...
    pg--seattle
    Last edited by rt1ky; 04-16-2007 at 10:00 PM.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Personally, I'm glad that Matt won, but I must say that I was a little disappointed in BOTH of the lofts.
    I was surprised that they both chose a black & white theme... and both had black floors.
    Neither of the kitchens impressed me.
    I was also surprised at how little advance legwork they had done. If it was me, I would have had my plan ready and I would have already been "shopping" at the PDC, picking out some key pieces. They could also have picked out a lot of other things in advance, so all they had to do in the final 5 days was put it together and do some final touches. Both of them seemed to have left too much until the last minute.
    I wish they had put more effort into their kitchens and bathrooms... those are usually the showplace of a house, but their rooms were just pedestrian.

Congrats to Matt on his win!

Quote Originally Posted by pg13;2332513;
    I thought that what the editor left in was much more critical about Matt's space--especially Trudie as the guest judge.
    Now that I'm told that his wife isn't a man, I have clue what she might be like...
    Sure they had "red herrings," but they didn't even begin to criticize all the things that were wrong with Matt's loft, because if they had (other than the "lame duck" guest judge), they might have actually had to give the prize to Carisa instead. The curtains! The bad flow! The concrete floors! The lack of storage space! The lack of added architecture! The bad colors! Need I go on?

As for your other comment, I'm surprised they are letting you get away with that, because once I dared to mention the ambiguity of Sanjaya's orientation on the Idol forum and had my post censored and was threatened with temporary banishment from the boards. Which is why I hadn't said anything about Matt, but believe me, the same thoughts did occur to us. We were not surprised by that "sterile" bedroom!

OK, I don't like Carissa. I don't even like this show, but thanks to my hubby, I watched it anyway. So, Where was I? Oh yeah, I don't like Carissa, but judging from the last two episodes, she should have won. Especially the last episode. She did great! Matt's loft was very boring. His floors were painted?!? What was that all about? And his kid's room? Since when a 4-year-old needs a desk that big in her bedroom? There was no play area, no toys... And the colors? I would have chosen some bright pink and purple (or whatever that color was). I don't even talk about his bedroom, and the kitchen, what a boring personality...

Anyway, I'm glad this show is over. I hope it never comes back. If it does, I think I will delete Bravo tv from our channel listing, and hope that hubby won't notice it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234