+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4/11/07 show discussion *possible spoilers*

Re: 4/11/07 show discussion *possible spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;2326794;
    Carisa did show a lot of grace about losing. I was prepared to dislike her design but it really was better than Matt's.

I also think spending 8,000 for the floor was outrageous considering the fact that it was painted on. It should have been sanded, stained and sealed for that price. I wish Carisa's carpenter would've won something.

One thing about Matt's loft that I kept reminding myself of, that he was designing it for 3 people, unlike Carisa who just had herself to make happy.
    Carissa had a mahogony hardwood floor installed. Each piece was handcarved, that is why it had a rippled texture that they showed once or twice. On top of that the floor was painted black all together that is why it was so expensive.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I personally liked Carissa's design better. She divided up the space better and had achitectural details which Matt lacked. It was more fun and I could see myself using the space. Yes, Matt had more expensive items in his space but were they practical for day to day living. Curtains only for a master bedroom. I don't think so. Use the master bedroom for extra seating during a party. Again I don't think so. Either there is absolutely no sex in this marriage, and from comments from Matt, that he and his wife perfer a sterile space, I am surprised there were no double beds or another bedroom for the other spouse. It is obivious that the bed is only used for sleeping. Makes me wonder how the child was created. Sterile does imply invitro fertilization. I am glad Carissa had a chance to go to the finale, I have been sorta rooting for her as all her rooms have been fun, colorful and livable unlike some other designers. It seemed a shame to have a finale as the judges seem predisposed to giving the title to Matt.

What I learned from last night’s finale:

Concrete floors look expensive. Who knew? I could have sidewalks inside my house just like Elle Décor magazine and look chic. Guess I couldn’t walk around barefoot much though, so not really functional, but hey, it looks expensive.

Don’t design your final space young and hip if your panel of judges are a bunch of old fogeys. Especially if the guest judge is an old, brittle, British fogey (no disrespect intended to British folk), who has five houses because of her husband’s success and has nothing better to do then to decorate them over and over again.

Hot water will make tulips open up nicely, right before killing them.

There’s a thin line between love and hate. For one sassy designer and a gruff carpenter that line is money.

One thing I did notice during the finale and the episode leaving up to it, is that Todd Oldham is getting better as the mentor. He seems more at ease with the camera, and he is communicating much better with the designers. His voice sounds better and is projecting better. As far as the rest of the judges, that entire panel needs to be replaced. They had no personality/chemistry at all. I am remembering Michael Kors (Project Runway judge) with a lot of fondness right now, cause on Day 1 of Season 1 of PR he was way better then any of the TD judges.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2327290;
    One thing I did notice during the finale and the episode leaving up to it, is that Todd Oldham is getting better as the mentor. He seems more at ease with the camera, and he is communicating much better with the designers. His voice sounds better and is projecting better. As far as the rest of the judges, that entire panel needs to be replaced. They had no personality/chemistry at all. I am remembering Michael Kors (Project Runway judge) with a lot of fondness right now, cause on Day 1 of Season 1 of PR he was way better then any of the TD judges.
    I agree that the judges come across as no personality/chemistry at all but that's not how they come across to me on their blogs. They are all interesting to read. I think what needs replaced is the editors. How can they take out everyone's personality? Maybe it wasn't enough drama what the judges said, so they left it out, but subtle humor can be good too. And they definitely need to give the assistant some on camera time, because he's hysterical. But personality doesn't always translate well on camera, so perhaps that's the problem. If it were just one judge that had a good blog and came across that way on tv I'd think it was that, but since all of them seem nicer/funnier in their blogs I'm choosing to believe it's bad editing.

Through the last few episodes I really thought Matt should take home the win, but if the winner was to be based solely on this last challenge then I think it should have been Carissa. Her bed was cool (altho I agree that it could get old quickly) and the rest of her loft seemed quite practical and was also very pretty.
    Other than the daughter's room, I thought Matt's was a disappointment. It had an odd layout, his bathroom looked like there was very little room to stand in, and I really disliked the glass end tables and dining table. On top of the fact that I just didn't think they were attractive, the judges were right, they were completely impractical with a child. Matt's arguement about being easy to clean was a load of bs - they would be comstantly covered with fingerprints and would probably quickly end up with scratched surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2327290;
    I totally agree! He was just so bad in that first episode, that I was worried, but it just took time for him to relax a bit and become more personable on camera, thank god! He was on the dvd extras of Grey Gardens, talking about how that movie has been such a big part of his life and designing, and he was so at ease with the camera, like the old Oldham. I was just hoping that he would be able to pull it together on this show!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata
    As far as the rest of the judges, that entire panel needs to be replaced. They had no personality/chemistry at all. I am remembering Michael Kors (Project Runway judge) with a lot of fondness right now, cause on Day 1 of Season 1 of PR he was way better then any of the TD judges.
    Keep Kelly and Margret, but PLEASE get rid of Jonathan. Replace him with someone like Doug from HGTV who has a genuine sense of humor and doesn't rely on fakey French turns of phrases to imitate charm.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

The more I think about it. Carissa borrowed not only the dining set, but also the bed pit idea from Goyle, and the cubes from Andrea (I think it was)...and probably a few other ideas from other challenges.

I could be wrong but...I think she modified the winner ideas from every challenge and incorporated them into her final design.

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2327527;
    Keep Kelly and Margret, but PLEASE get rid of Jonathan. Replace him with someone like Doug from HGTV who has a genuine sense of humor and doesn't rely on fakey French turns of phrases to imitate charm.
    Last night, when he said "Lets Motor" I just about fell of of my couch. I knew that phrase was dead, but now it should be banned from ever being spoke again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast