+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4/11/07 show discussion *possible spoilers*

Re: 4/11/07 show discussion *possible spoilers*

Matt won.

Ok... that was kind of bull****.

Normally, I can't stand the Carisa the Puppy Dropper, but her loft was awesome. Her architectural details were beautiful, her kitchen was perfect (the black and white wasn't really my thing, but still a much better kitchen than Matt's, which seemed to be missing entire spaces), and THAT BED. Jonathan was right, it was fierce. I wish she had finished it a little better, but overall it was a hot space and looked chic.

But when Jonathan said Matt's loft looked expensive, I knew those were the magic words for the nouveau riche bourgoisie epitomized by the likes of Jonathan Adler, Kelly Wearstler and Elle Decor. They seem to place more value on how expensive a room looks than the overall creativity and impact. Matt's loft looked cliched, claustrophobic and cluttered. It was almost passionless, except for the daughter's bedroom (which of course he couldn't let us forget for a moment). How unsurprising that his master bedroom lacked all sex appeal. I doubt sex with his wife is Matt's top priority.

Carisa had a great attitude about it, unlike Matt who showed his (very ugly) true colors more during this challenge. His egotism was downright grotesque. I was prepared to cheer him on for the win, but his attitude sucked and frankly his design sucked too. That should have been Carisa's win, but I'm happy she for once showed some grace acted magnanimously about her loss.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Carisa did show a lot of grace about losing. I was prepared to dislike her design but it really was better than Matt's.

I also think spending 8,000 for the floor was outrageous considering the fact that it was painted on. It should have been sanded, stained and sealed for that price. I wish Carisa's carpenter would've won something.

One thing about Matt's loft that I kept reminding myself of, that he was designing it for 3 people, unlike Carisa who just had herself to make happy.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;2326794;
    Carisa did show a lot of grace about losing. I was prepared to dislike her design but it really was better than Matt's.

I also think spending 8,000 for the floor was outrageous considering the fact that it was painted on. It should have been sanded, stained and sealed for that price. I wish Carisa's carpenter would've won something.

One thing about Matt's loft that I kept reminding myself of, that he was designing it for 3 people, unlike Carisa who just had herself to make happy.
    I believe that was what won it for him. They were super impressed with his daughter's room which he doted on. Also, he personalized it with family pictures which made it feel like a lived in home. The only criticism was for his bedroom which was a little sparce. He made the loft feel livable.

Carisa's loft was more of a architectual display than a home. I couldn't really see anyone living there, even her. I did however like the fun and innovation of the bed but I would not want to come home to that every night.

Carisa took more chances, used more color but it still ended up looking rather sterile. Matt stuck with what he does best and also took into consideration his family as well as himself so he did more and addressed more than Carisa. After all, he could have jsut designed the loft for just himself.

As for Matt's rant, he basically stated that he has been in the industry for a while and just did not want to lose to a graduated student. This had really nothing to do with Carisa personally but that he would have to question his expertise in the industry if he lost to someone who has not had the experience in the real world. I don't believe he was being malicious in any way.
    Last edited by madeboxer; 04-12-2007 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kocky_Kamikaze;2326300;
    No way Matt is straight... he just said "eggplant" instead of "dark purple". :p
    Actually, he is married with a daughter

Quote Originally Posted by Quemoni;2326301;
    isn't the dining set the same one that *what's her name* used?

hmmmmmm....not original

I wondered if anyone noticed that!!! It was Andrea's dining room

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2326464;
    How unsurprising that his master bedroom lacked all sex appeal. I doubt sex with his wife is Matt's top priority.
    HAHAHAHAHA!!! I know!!! I thought the same thing. They probably only had sex once, that's how his daughter (and he has a daughter everyone, just so we're clear on this, lol) came about.

I actually wasn't that impressed with either of the two, but if I had to choose, I think I would've gone with Carissa's. It felt more open and more fun to me for sure. I did not however like her bad. It would've been fun for a hotel room maybe, where you only stay there a night or two. But seriously can you imagine sleeping in that basket ALL YOUR LIFE? No way.

I knew Matt would win and I don't mind that he won he was a better designer throughout the competition. But I liked Carissa so much more in this episode. I wish Goyle and Andrea had a chance at that, I would've love to see what they could do. ESPECIALLY GOYLE.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

I'm glad Matt won. I didn't like Carissa. She needs to work on her interpersonal skills with carpenters. Carissa bed looked fun, but only for a short while. I kept thinking about having to climb down and up to get in and out of bed when you're really tired or having to change the sheets.

A $7000 desk for a child, a bit much Matt. I couldn't tell is Matt was being sarcastic or serious when he spoke of his winning. I never thought of him as having a big ego.

Carissa was a very gracious loser.

While not surprised by the win I actually liked Carisa's loft better. And so did the assistant according to his blog. I thought Matt's space beautiful, but sterile and old-fashioned. Oooo, a wall of black and white family photos, how original--blech.

Carisa may have been snarky with Carl the whole time but after two months of being away and they first saw each other you could feel the genuine affection. And when she found out that Carl would win money it made her want to win more. I believe that was actually true. She seemed to know a great deal about him, and his family. She may be a bit of a diva, but she took the time to learn the details about him, and that says more to me than any diva-esque attitude. Carl seemed to want to help her as well; even before he knew about his prize money.

Matt showed his own snotty personality last night. Did you all see the sections they played during Shear Genius? Wow, not good things to say about the guest judge. Apparently she liked Carisa's space better because he was not nice.

And did they show Carisa's spot during Shear Genius. I saw Matt's, Goil's and Andrea's but not Carisa's. Just wondering if I missed it, or if they never showed it.

I'll probably have more thoughts on this later. I liked this show. It needs some improvement, but overall fun, and I hope there is another season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kocky_Kamikaze;2326300;
    No way Matt is straight... he just said "eggplant" instead of "dark purple". :p
    If he really was gay he would say aubergine instead of eggplant.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast