+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2/7 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Runway victim;2233577;
    Seems like the designer/client relationship is the most important aspect as far as judging this show. Especially knowing the client's taste and giving them what they want.

Last week Lisa & Heather were "later'd" (is that a word?- I ask retorically) for creating a theme room.

And this week Erik is applauded for an extreme version of a theme room.
    I think when you're designing for kids, theme rooms are expected and accepted. I notice on Extreme Makeover Home Edition that the designers run with one thing a kid will say (I like ice cream, becomes pastel colors, sprinkles and life-sized cut outs of Ben and Jerry) to build a whole concept room out of that one idea. Plus, in the Heather/? room, the theme was their own creation, it didn't come from any input by their client (kitsch does not equal asian).

That line "See you later decorator." is so lame. Couldn't they have thought of something better than that?

I think John did deserve to go home--they called for a finished room. He gives nothing but excuses. I was a little offended that he thought HIV gave him the right to be an ass****. I know plenty of men who have HIV and are on testosterone who do not act like that.

I hope Michael is the next to go. He is annoying and his room did look like a nursing home.

I also noticed that the judges didn't take into account the client's opinion so much. They may not have liked how the room turned out and I didn't like some of the rooms, but a lot of the rooms they criticized the kids liked. If that kid likes black, then what is really the problem? Or if the girl really liked having a room designed with her cat in mind what is the problem?
    Last edited by hepcat; 02-08-2007 at 04:58 PM. Reason: language

I thought Michael was going and that the judges would give John a pass. You sorta got that feeling. Also I knew that the judges were also going to take into account the clients comments and from what I saw Michael had absolutely no connection with his client. Take away the little dress, shoes and wings and that room could be anyone's room. More adult than kid. Rather boring. Very simply. I think any of us could have put that room together. Micheal thinks he is hot s*** as a designer but I have yet to see that. He does have an ego and attitude but that does not make a good designer. He does not play well with others and in a business were you have to please your clients he will have a lot of trouble. All the designers I have seen on TLC, A&E, HGTV can paint, sew, do carpentry, they are not afraid of getting their hands dirty. Michael needs to grow up. He is not amusing.

I thought Carisa would win but she was in the top three, I liked her bed, endtables and desk idea.

Tod Oldum (sp) also had a much better, smoother presentation than last week. He was very stiff for the cameras, but I can see that he will get better as the show unfurls.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by BurnThis;2233813;
    I think when you're designing for kids, theme rooms are expected and accepted. I notice on Extreme Makeover Home Edition that the designers run with one thing a kid will say (I like ice cream, becomes pastel colors, sprinkles and life-sized cut outs of Ben and Jerry) to build a whole concept room out of that one idea. Plus, in the Heather/? room, the theme was their own creation, it didn't come from any input by their client (kitsch does not equal asian).
    From Margaret Russel's blog:

I sniped that I’m not keen on themed rooms last week, but rules are meant to be broken. Erik won this challenge because he performed amazingly well. Who knows what his original concept was, but as soon as he found out that his client was a child he adeptly altered his plans to suit a pirate freak instead of a fly-fisherman. The results were clever, inventive, playful, and packed with good ideas (like the under-bed storage/hiding space). It was a bit over-the-top (Kelly likened it to a theme park), and would probably grow tiresome after a while, but the bones were strong and the client is just ten years old. Why not let children be surrounded by magic and creativity and have fun as long as they possibly can?
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -Albert Einstein

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

BTW, did anyone else notice the lack of a dresser/bureau in the rooms. Not even an armoire. No closets. No coat rack. What these kids don't have any clothes?

Even if this was a room for an adult, are we to assume they have a separate walk-in closet or dressing room?

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2233512;
    I hate that "see ya later, decorator" crap. But whoo boy am I glad that John dude is off my tv screen.
    I know... that line strikes me as so offensive because this is a design show. So it's a little insult on the way out to be called a "designer" as if "you suck, therefore you don't qualify as a designer."

I wish they'd show us more of the design process. We get 25 minutes of concept and design (less, really) and then the final 35 minutes of the show are looking at the rooms and booting off the sucky decorator.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2234167;
    I know... that line strikes me as so offensive because this is a design show. So it's a little insult on the way out to be called a "designer" as if "you suck, therefore you don't qualify as a designer."

From Jonathan Adler's blog:

Let me start with moi's tres controversial “See you later, decorator” catchphrase. One night, as my bloke and I were playing ping pong (a nightly ritual which always devolves into us just smacking the ball at each other), we concocted some options for my signature kissoff:

"Swatch off." "You’re banned from the D&D building forever." "You’re an Elsie de Wolfe in sheep’s clothing." "You suck. Good luck."

Then, I blurted out “See ya later, decorator.” Memorable, silly, fun -- done!

It seems that some people aren’t feeling my catchphrase and the blogosphere is on fire with suggested alternatives. Oh well. At the end of the day, it’s got to be something, so to everyone who thinks it’s the worst thing since Foam destroyed the restaurant world -- y'all can kiss my swatch. For reals.

The word "Decorator" is quite controversial. My brethren are funny about being called decorators—they’re worried about being characterized as fluffy dilettantes with bags of swatches. They prefer the term “Designer” which, in their minds, connotes professionalism and gravitas. Decorator/designer, manicurist/beauty consultant, sex-worker/prostitute, whatever.

The whole euphemism thing is especially comical chez nous. My bloke, Simon Doonan, is a window dresser and I am a potter. Two more reviled professions are hard to imagine. The word potter conjures an image of a crunchy Vermonter, years out of date, sequestered in a garret listening to Joni Mitchell and never shaving anything.

Window dresser is even worse. Be honest -- the window dresser in your mind's eye makes Rip Taylor look like Tom Selleck. But Simon and I don’t insist on being called a “ceramicist” and a “visual display merchandiser”. We embrace everything about our professions including people’s tendencies to mock them. We don’t care what anybody calls us and neither should you!

Now, back to "See ya Later, Decorator." Once you accept the majesty of the See ya later, blank-blank-ator lifestyle, you'll find squillions of opportunities to use it. “See ya later, attitudinal waiter”. For your Valentine, there’s always “See Ya later, sweet potater” or it could go a bit blue with “See ya later, stimulator”. If I run into my pal Lady Bunny I can always say “See ya later, female impersonator.” “See ya later, Christian Slater” would work if you should happen to encounter the oft-arrested celeb. The possibilities are endless. Lately I’ve been using one particular iteration more and more -- for some reason I keep finding myself saying “See ya later, catchphrase hater”.

FORT Fogey
    The editing is choppy, the set stark and uncomfortable to watch. Project Runway has the contestants standing on the runway with judges on stools facing them and it makes sense for a fashion competition.

The designers standing in a firing squad line up in a vacuous room with no warmth or relationship to the context of this show is uncomfortable to watch. Why not have the judging take place in a well styled room that gives the viewers some visual interest and relates to the subject matter?

Todd, oh my. A host has to anchor the show and have a strong presence. He is not the man for this job.

It is curious to note that the winning pirate room was full. A lot of work went into it in the same time frame that one room did not get finished and most of the others looked quite bare. The girls room with the black curtain, especially. What was everyone one doing?

I will continue to watch but this show is a dissapointment. A larger budget is probably needed to give the designers more time.

I like "see you later decorator." It is lighthearted and silly. Perfect for a game show.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2234167;

I wish they'd show us more of the design process. We get 25 minutes of concept and design (less, really) and then the final 35 minutes of the show are looking at the rooms and booting off the sucky decorator.
    I agree on both statements. I think a lot of the comments Jonathan Adler dishes out are insults. For example, "(Insert people's names here) you did not have the top design but you can stay." It's like he has to have them think they are second rate or something. Or the ones in the bottom 3 that don't get chosen to leave. "(Insert name) you can stay...for now."

FORT Fogey
    I view these shows as games and don't see the catch phrases as carrying enough weight to be an insult or offensive. Maybe these aren't the most clever but they were intended to bring a smile.

As with any of these reality shows, the contestants are in it for exposure and anyway to get your name out there is the goal. I doubt they really care if called a decorator or are invited to stay. They just want to stay long enough to get some media attention.

I wouldnt be surprised to hear that some are angling for their own show or a host position on HGTV, god knows that station needs some new blood.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast