+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Todd Oldham the Next Tim Gunn?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by alphacat;2229110;
    I have moments of maturity ... balanced by impatience!

Maybe Tim is too high a standard. Really, who can match him?
    I agree, Tim is one of those charismatic people who come along once in a great while and capture hearts.

Tim Gunn will be on Ugly Betty tomorrow (Thur.) night!
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -Albert Einstein

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by alphacat;2228812;
    I'm going to cut him some slack and see if he gets better before making a decision.

I hope some of the problem was that, since it was the first show, he had a lot of "speeches" to make. If they can get him down to a sentence or two, it would be helpful.

His voice has an odd quality, but I think what bugged me was the tone. Tim Gunn speaks like a grown-up talking to other grown-ups. His tone and his vocabulary are both professional and engaging. Todd sounded like he was trying to calm a rambunctious group of kindergartners! I kept expecting to hear him say, "Now boys and girls, it's storytime ...." I find this to be rather off-putting.

I haven't seen the other shows he's done--was it the same?
    I was thinking something similar! He speaks with too much of a lilt in his voice and it's too breathy. Kinda sounds like Johnny-Depp as Willy Wonka or slightly Ed Wood. He's just missing the plastic, yet creepy smile.

I said the same thing after the first show. He's too sing-songy. But I did notice that it's not nearly as bad now. I'm guessing maybe it was just nerves.

I'm still annoyed by the scripted portions, but I really like his interaction with the designers in the one-on-one chats. He seems constructive and positive, even when he's pointing out problems.

I'm coming around to liking him more and more ... but the judges bug the hell out of me.

Fortunately for Todd, his money is definitely *not* where his mouth! He'd be one poor bloke after listening to his sing-songing the (pathetic) scripts.

I wish he would bring his talents to the judges' table. He would rock a couple of them right out of their hot dog/hamburger stands.

FORT Fogey
    The furniture he designed for Lazy Boy was not attractive, too narrow, too high and uncomfortable. What else has he done?

Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan55;2244277;
    I wish he would bring his talents to the judges' table. He would rock a couple of them right out of their hot dog/hamburger stands.
    This is a great idea! When I heard about the show, I assumed he'd be on the judging panel, kind of like Heidi Klum.

I watched the first three episodes this morning and after reading this post, I realize that the part I cannot stand about this show is the judging process. The panel of four could not possibly be more snooty, entitled and irritating. Blech. The choices they make seem incredibly... capricious, too, from week to week. The pirate ship room won?!? HUH?

Back to the topic - there is no comparison between Tim Gunn and anything related to this show. Well, except that TD and PR air on the same network..

FORT Fogey
    The title of this thread continues to offend and stun me. <shudder>

At least he is better than Coliccio in Top Chef

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast