+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1/31 Show Discussion Thread - **Spoilers**

FORT Regular
    No one has mentioned how hideous and UN-sanctuary-like the winning room was. Seriously folks-how do a swing, a sandbox a chalkboard and a giant pepper add up to the challenge as Todd told them.
    Relaxing? NO!
    Aesthetically matching the interesting objects? NOT ONE IOTA.

I would give their assignment a failing grade in every way.

It was puerile, tacky and unlivable.
    Visually-boring and off-kilter.

Bllech!

Can a show jump the shark in its maiden episode?

Also, not ojne room looked like it was worth over $50 G's.
    My new tannish/gold brocade couch cost $1100 (Domain) and my drapes Peach and golden shiny floral (Target) cost $80. With a coupla gallons of light lavender or light aqua paint, my place is going to look feminine, cozy, light and airy. A lot more like a sanctuary than any of theirs and also able to contain objects that have a strong point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliana;2225642;
    No one has mentioned how hideous and UN-sanctuary-like the winning room was.
    I would give their assignment a failing grade in every way.

It was puerile, tacky and unlivable.
    Visually-boring and off-kilter.
    I agree, the room was not functional. I'm afraid the judges (much like the judges on PR) will vote for "avant-garde" designs over "boring". Anything rather than to be thought of as uncool.

But I don't think any of the teams really rose to the occassion and created a visually stunning room that met the given criteria.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -Albert Einstein

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

The premiere episode was nicely edited and paced. What Top Chef 2 should have been but was not. What did we learn this episode. Theme rooms are not a good idea. Still one challenge will probably end up being a theme room. No, wait that was Design Star. Still I enjoyed the personalities. Goil and Carisa stand out. I was surprised John and Michael did not go. Michael better learn some painting skills and basic carpentry. He did not look like he worked very hard at all except to bitch.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

It's interesting that the Project Runway production team has yet to recreate the successful chemistry of Heidi, Tim, Michael and Nina, mixed with creative and interesting contestants that have served them well on PR for three seasons.

After such a disappointing season of Top Chef, Top Design's first episode doesn't appear to hold much promise for any improvement. Todd, Jonathan, et. al., don't seem to be very happy to be there and look uncomfortable being on camera.

Also, seems we have another predictable cast of contestants complete with the obligatory ratio of heroes to villians.

I sure hope things get better in the next couple episodes.

FORT Fogey
    This show was more than a disappointment, it was a disaster.

Trading Spaces does a better job.

Selecting high end furniture from a show room with an outrageously high budget was ill concieved. I thought that every room was going to look like a furniture store diorama and hopelessly boring. I was right on several counts. Ikea does a better job with much less money.

The winning room was hideous. If you wanted to incorporate a zen sand garden why put it where you have to step to mount the uncomfortable and unattractive swing? No place to lie down and read with a cup of tea. Wasn't relaxation the point?

Todd Oldham is better than wet cardboard but not by much. The judges did not strike me as compelling in any way. The editor for Elle Decor shows some promise, however.

As the show concluded I fondly remembered the episode from Design Star where a trip to the pet store produced a fabulous and memorable room showing tons of talent for pennies in comparison. Though not practical to inhabit, it was far more entertaining to watch.

I fear that in order to keep the production costs down, the time alloted for each challenge will be too short to yield interesting creations.

I will certainly keep watching, because decorating is my passion, but I have lowered my expectations.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by TymeMarteen;2223723;
    that's the funny thing because i remember when i was really little, like 6 or 7, Todd Oldham used to like do segments on House of Fashion with Cindy Crawford, and I used to think he was so cool. But it honestly sounded like a lot of his dialogue was really scripted and maybe re-dubbed in some parts, you know? Hopefully he improves.
    I totally remember feeling the same way (although at a slightly older age). What the heck happened? It also seems to me that he looks very different in the face, like he's had some work done. I remember him being pretty cute, but now he looks creepy and waxy to me.

And, not to be catty, why bother whitening your teeth so much if you're not even going to bother straightening them?

Am I the only person that liked the premiere? I had just finished watching the top Chef finale and started watching TD and it came across as a breath of fresh air.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Regular
    "why put it where you have to step to mount the uncomfortable and unattractive swing? No place to lie down and read with a cup of tea. Wasn't relaxation the point?"-Dogbat

Very true. I'd also be afraid of falling off that thing once I finally managed to get on it. God forbid I close my eyes and fall asleep. I could end up in a sand dune.

Bearcata-I did enjoy this more that Top Chef because I could at least see the room and didn't have to taste it! I will watch. I was just hoping for more.

I also thought that the two teams who both picked that mind-jarring acid lime green should have been called on their color choice. I am a colorist by training (MFA Painting) and professionally. Did they forget dove gray, pale blue, aqua, sand, etc.?
    All traditionally soothing colors not like lime green.

So, next week is an individual challenge! Yaaay!!! 10 different clients (picked at random)- design a bedroom with an $8,000 budget (plus $600 for paint and supplies).
    Oh yeah and design & build the bed yourself!!!
    Winner gets immunity!
    Last edited by Runway victim; 02-03-2007 at 10:10 PM.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Short article/interview with Todd & Jonathan about Top Design

http://www.afterelton.com/TV/2007/1/topdesign.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast