+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Todd Oldham - Host

FORT Fogey
    He may be loved in the industry but that does not translate to successful TV host. It is an entirely different skill and one he does not possess.

I've read elsewhere that he makes Katie Lee Joel from Top Chef 1 look animated and natural in front of the camera. Maybe he'll loosen up a bit as the show gets rolling.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno;2226964;
    Holy boring and unexciting host Batman!

Sorry to all of those who like him, but in our house, he's been voted the worse host, in the history of reality hosting. Yes, worse than Mrs. Joel.

Bland and blah. You're Fired!
    No one can be worse than Mrs. Joel. I thought it was just weird...his voice had weird inflections and didn't really match his expressions.

I rewatched the premiere and noticed that Todd (like many people who had bad teeth growing up) doesn't show his top teeth when he speaks.
    Once in awhile he will smile, but when speaking he usually pulls his top lip over his teeth. This means when he speaks it looks like he is scowling.
    Try doing this, try talking without showing your top teeth. It forces you to speak more slowly and in a more monotone voice.
    Someone needs to tell him to smile when he speaks- especially when doing voice-overs (which they do a lot on this show). He will sound more cheerful and lively.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -Albert Einstein

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Runway victim;2228054;
    I rewatched the premiere and noticed that Todd (like many people who had bad teeth growing up) doesn't show his top teeth when he speaks.
    Once in awhile he will smile, but when speaking he usually pulls his top lip over his teeth. This means when he speaks it looks like he is scowling.
    Try doing this, try talking without showing your top teeth. It forces you to speak more slowly and in a more monotone voice.
    Someone needs to tell him to smile when he speaks- especially when doing voice-overs (which they do a lot on this show). He will sound more cheerful and lively.
    I will watch for this. Sadly it is way too late for warnings but perhaps production noticed this after the first show wrapped and he was able to get some coaching.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    I too was kind of surprised that Todd came across like the "Mr. Rodgers of Interior Design". I don't recall him sounding like that in his Todd Time segments on House of Style, but then again, during those he was just narrating his projects, and that kind of speaking style would fit better. I can only hope that he loosens up over the course of the show.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

FORT Fogey
    I rewatched and his lips look natural. My top teeth don't show when I talk either, unless I am smiling.

Todds problem is that he is speaking rehearsed lines and he has not been trained as an actor. He cannot do this off the cuff because it is unfamiliar, unlike Tim Gunn who is just doing his job and the only difference is a camera is catching it. I hate to draw that comparison because it is like comparing cheese and chalk but one can only speak believably when comfortable with the situation.

Maybe Todd will seem more natural when mentoring the contestants as this is familiar territory and no script is required.

As much as I like Todd's designs - he is just not cut out to be a host. Something about the way he speaks just makes me want to hit the mute button!

Silent Lover To All TymeMarteen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Runway victim;2228054;
    his diction and delivery improved on the second episode i thought. but about your "kids who grew up with bad teeth.." thing, and it really is something you just learn to do, i have awful teeth thanks to poor insurance when i was younger, and you teach yourself to do everything concerning your mouth while trying to hide your teeth. haha, i spend a lot of time in the mirror perfecting my smile lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TymeMarteen;2233920;
    his diction and delivery improved on the second episode i thought. but about your "kids who grew up with bad teeth.." thing, and it really is something you just learn to do, i have awful teeth thanks to poor insurance when i was younger, and you teach yourself to do everything concerning your mouth while trying to hide your teeth. haha, i spend a lot of time in the mirror perfecting my smile lol.
    I agree, I don't think it's something he does consciously, it's just how he speaks now. Like the model on ANTM who had her teeth fixed but had to get used to smiling and showing her teeth.

And he has definately improved. He seems more relaxed and looks like he is really enjoying himself.
    Last edited by Runway victim; 02-08-2007 at 05:13 PM.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -Albert Einstein

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast