+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: About the show

This should be interesting.

I'll tune in for the first episode at the very least to see how it goes.

ahhhh what am I talking about?!?!? I'm very certain that it will likely going to suck me in just as Project Runway did!

Well, I briefly looked at the bios and apparently there are only 3 cities in the entire USA where we have designers - Los Angeles, New York City and 2 in Chicago. It looks like the producers didn't venture too far from their turf and it appears like we won't get much variety. You would think they would make a little effort to find fresh talent outside NY and LA.

One of the things I like about Project Runway and American Idol is the that talent pool is so broad since they take people from all over the country. It just makes the whole thing more interesting. Kind of hard to get interested in an already successful designer established in NY or LA. We will see.

I found that with Project Runway and Top Chef the first seasons were the best. After that, they tend to go more for the drama. So I think the first season of this new show should be pretty good. I'll be watching!

Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed;2187422;
    Kind of hard to get interested in an already successful designer established in NY or LA. We will see.
    Yeah, I understand where you're coming from on that.

It would be nicer if the contestants were novices in the field. When I worked for an interior decorator (on the admin side), I learned that it's difficult for a novice to break into the field, especially in the million dollar and next-to million dollar clientle demographic we were targeting. We relied on mostly word of mouth referrals and aligned with a construction company that builds million dollar mansions. At least it's that way in St. Louis. I couldn't judge for any of the other major cities.

FORT Fogey
    This is going to be good. I would much rather watch designers with some experience under their belts compete. We have seen enough amature stuff on Trading Spaces and most of the shows on HGTV.

Just because these contestants have been doing this for a number of years does not mean they have experienced great success. They are all striving for recognition so they can secure more business.

Same thing with actors. They can have years of experience in small productions but always have their sights set on the next rung on the ladder.

I am looking forwared to this show. I loved "Design Star", and hope this show will be as good or better.

Welcome to Hippo Heaven dogabone's Avatar

Flaw in the Ointment

I think the problem with Top Design—as compared with PR and TC—is the fact that it's impossible to present a whole room, only a showroom display. In PR, one could see a whole garment—front, back, and sides—and how it fit a body and moved with it. In TC, in spite of being unable to taste the food, viewers still got a whole presentation and a good idea of what was being offered. Unfortunately, TD gives us a "room" with three walls and no ceiling. We cannot see what the fourth wall would look like, nor are we able to see ceiling fixtures or how the height restrictions of an enclosed room affect the overall design.

And am I the only one who noticed a complete lack of lighting fixtures and design in all of the first-episode presentations?
    Mother Hubbard
    Queen of the Grammar Hammers

Quote Originally Posted by dogabone;2232703;
    And am I the only one who noticed a complete lack of lighting fixtures and design in all of the first-episode presentations?
    I think they either held back intentionally, not knowing what they could do in a short amount of time, or they were held back by lack of creativity. Hopefully, as the show progresses, they will take more chances (and drop the chartreuse, please!) and show us some more design and not just decorating.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Is this show produced by the same people who did HGTV's Design Star?
    It is so very similar-I like Design Star better though. The hosts on Design Star were more likable then Oldham. (IMO)

FORT Fogey
    I think the lack of lighting is the time constraint and diorama format.

Perhaps when the numbers dwindle we will see them decorate rooms in actual buildings as we did in Design Star. We have a low budget show here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast