+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 1/29 Show Discussion

Top Chef New Orleans - 1/29 Show Discussion

"Maui Wowie" It's the first leg of the finale in Hawaii -- NO MO' PO' BOYS! Also, the return of SPAM!

The winner of LCK is revealed, and rejoins the competition (pretty much already spoiled in the BravoTV.com preview, but whatever)

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 1/29 Show Discussion

I haven't seen the Hawaii episode yet, but can easily guess who was killing it in those LCK clips and looked like a shoe in to win. What has amazed me this season is the persistence and longevity of Nick. He has been circling the drain in the bottom three for half the competition, didn't take the judge's suggestion to be a bigger man and step down despite immunity, and has lost most of those on screen audience polls Bravo displays for those playing along at home. The guy is who he is, flaws and all, which has made him a complex multifaceted chef with good points and bad points. It's like one of the characters from AMERICAN HUSTLE wandered into New Orleans and showed up at the townhouse. He's quick to anger and blames mistakes on competitors moving his pots off burners or is suspicious they turned the oven to 500, burning the quinoa. He over thinks dishes and complicates them into a ton of components near impossible to complete on the clock. Under the gun, he pours on the drama and seems closest to eminent meltdown. On the other hand, he is super meticulous, creative, and cares about this like his life depended on it. That's good TV. I've been rooting for him from the gate and reading your posts, know several of you think Padma should have sent him knife packing weeks ago. I don't think he has a prayer to take this away from Nina but I'm glad this particular underdog beat the odds to go the distance.
    dzigner and Tmull2013 like this.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Well, apparently, the Ns are the finalists. I really hope Nina wins. Don't want Nick to.
    PhoneGrrrl and Jezebella like this.

FORT Newbie

Very well put AWFielder! I too see Nina winning but, hope for the best with Nick. If all else fails maybe he has gained
    enough exposure on TC to further his career.
    I very much enjoyed your thoughts and views on this post.

Nick pretty much turned me off of this season. His poor attitude & hissy fits were over the top. Oh I am sure parts were edited to make him look worse that it really was but he still was the one who was actually banging the pots & pans around.
    I gave up after that. Sorry to see hr made the final 2. I was hoping for Shirley & Louie.
    Go Nina.
    tinderbox likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

FORT Fan

I'm sorry to see Louis go. I've really grown to like him. I enjoyed pulling for him in LCK and loved seeing him make his way back into the competition. I figured his chances were slim, however, that they'd let another LCK returnee win this thing….thought his food would have to totally blow the judges away in order to make it to the end. Seems like tough competition between the four who were left. I'm pulling for Nina at this point. Nick turned me off long ago (at least his edit did.) And I agree PA Snow Bunny, he was the one banging the pots and pans around. An edit only goes so far.
    Kip, dzigner, wannasee and 1 others like this.

I expected to see Nina vs. Louis in the second leg of the finale. That pair off didn't happen and despite all the drama, Nick did earn his place.

Very much looking forward to next week!
    Florimel and AWfielder like this.

As a sidebar, I love the beagle in ryansmommy's avatar. I definitely feel Nina will win the title and fully deserves to. She has been a class act week after week and an excellent chef who displays consistent grace under pressure. If meetings were held for the Nicholas Elmi Fan Club, I might find myself alone in a room full of empty desks. On the other hand, I think his inclusion in this year's underwhelming season is why reality TV works when it does. As opposed to those producer planned blow ups at nail salons on REAL HOUSEWIVES, this Emmy winning show belongs in that upper echelon of competition based reality TV with PROJECT RUNWAY and THE AMAZING RACE because it's a meritocracy. Nick was my reason to show up week after week, my dog in the fight, my flawed football player who surprises even me when he lands in the playoffs. I know he behaved like a petulant teenager banging his own pots around while blaming his colleagues but there was something in his narrative I found likable. I feel the presence of his family miles from New Orleans, I appreciate his resilience after weekly thrashings from the panel, and his love of his craft. I applaud Nina as loudly as all of you, but I'm glad Bravo gave me a few weeks to hang out with Nick.
    Last edited by AWfielder; 01-31-2014 at 12:59 AM. Reason: punctuation

I felt bad for Shirley. Nina has been my pick from the beginning, but I liked Shirley's passion and drive. She really took a lot away from her experience and that was admirable.

I was glad to see Louis stuck it out. I just wanted to look at him more. What a cutie! Too bad he didn't make it to the second part of the finale.

No Nick fan here. I hope Nina takes the win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tinderbox and sparklete like this.

I like Nick,too, and I"m rooting for him to win. I'd rather have seen Nick vs Shirley, but I knew she was gone as soon as they described her dish as sweet. I like sweet flavors much better than overly hot pepper ones, but the judges never seem to like anything sweet. Even with desserts they always seem to say, "It's too sweet."

Nina was among my favorites for the first several episodes, but her personality began to grate on my as time went on. She is good at what she does, however, and earned her place on the show.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast