+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 1/1 Show Discussion

Top Chef New Orleans - 1/1 Show Discussion

"Mississippi Mud Bugs" - Another New Orleans dish plays a central role -- this time it's etouffe.

(At this point, I'm counting the hours until they take the season on the road.)

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 1/1 Show Discussion

Wait...there was a new show tonight? Drat.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    (At this point, I'm counting the hours until they take the season on the road.)
    I've lived with the LA food for 35 of my 40 years and I'm OVER IT!!! Let them cook what they know. And, at any rate, 45 minutes isn't enough time for a proper etouffe.
    MFWalkoff likes this.

I wish they'd include the judges' discussion and debate after they've interviewed the bottom chefs. Instead, they do a Trump-like rationale after they've eliminated a chef. I thought the elimination call was wrong this week. In each case, the chef didn't highlight at least one of the seafood, but one of them had a fruit dish with a piece of seafood and that's the one that should have been eliminated. Also, the edit was so "meh" about the chef who won, and the edit was "I could eat this all day" about the chef who landed neither top nor bottom. And, of course, the drama edit between Nicholas and Carlos (plus Carlos seems to have come to New Orleans without looking at much more than his airline ticket - time and again he's never heard of elements of New Orleans cuisine) is leading the audience to expect Carlos to be out at any minute yet he's still there.

The only food I'd like to taste is Nina's and Shirley's and sometimes Brian's.
    Arielflies and MFWalkoff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rebotco View Post
    I wish they'd include the judges' discussion and debate after they've interviewed the bottom chefs. Instead, they do a Trump-like rationale after they've eliminated a chef. I thought the elimination call was wrong this week. In each case, the chef didn't highlight at least one of the seafood, but one of them had a fruit dish with a piece of seafood and that's the one that should have been eliminated. Also, the edit was so "meh" about the chef who won, and the edit was "I could eat this all day" about the chef who landed neither top nor bottom. And, of course, the drama edit between Nicholas and Carlos (plus Carlos seems to have come to New Orleans without looking at much more than his airline ticket - time and again he's never heard of elements of New Orleans cuisine) is leading the audience to expect Carlos to be out at any minute yet he's still there.

The only food I'd like to taste is Nina's and Shirley's and sometimes Brian's.
    I was so ready for Carlos to go last night -- not just because of his ongoing drama with Nick, but because Carlos doesn't have the knowledge base or the agility to be a Top Chef. I figured it would be "anyone but Carrie" going home. This was just wrong.
    Uncle David likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I was so ready for Carlos to go last night -- not just because of his ongoing drama with Nick, but because Carlos doesn't have the knowledge base or the agility to be a Top Chef. I figured it would be "anyone but Carrie" going home. This was just wrong.
    I was ready for Carlos to go both because of the drama and because of his lacking knowledge base. I was a little annoyed during the quickfire tasting when Padma asked him what part of his dish was "smothered" and he was acting like he didn't know what the word meant. His English is darn good, and smother is not an uncommon word. However, even if I give him the benefit of the doubt and he doesn't know the word, why the heck wouldn't he ASK when the challenge was being introduced!? On a show like this it seems like understanding the challenge is pretty key to doing well!
    Florimel and TripleGemini like this.

I couldn't believe Carlos saying that Nick only thinking about himself. (And then, after Nick finally let Carlos borrow a knife, Carlos left it in the sink dirty.)

Imagine that...thinking only about yourself in a competition where only one person wins.

FORT Fogey

I thought the same thing Triple Gemini! Not only is it silly to get upset at a person thinking of himself in a competition, but Carlos has been on the other side of that in past episodes, and had no problem with thinking of HIMSELF when asked to help someone else. Carlos not going home last night shows that they keep certain chefs around for drama. I'm sure they'll cut him lose before he wins, but he's clearly over his head and not deserving to be there anymore. He's shown he lacks basic knowledge that any chef should have - such as what etouffe is. It seems like he's more of a guy who likes to eat and tries to recreate what enjoys eating. He'd be a great home cook, but is far from truly being a chef. Tom has said he really pushed the show to get away from the way it was done in early seasons where they'd have chefs compete with home cooks, caterers, etc. With Carlos, they let one slip in who was not quite the chef calibre of everyone else.
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I thought the same thing Triple Gemini! Not only is it silly to get upset at a person thinking of himself in a competition, but Carlos has been on the other side of that in past episodes, and had no problem with thinking of HIMSELF when asked to help someone else. Carlos not going home last night shows that they keep certain chefs around for drama. I'm sure they'll cut him lose before he wins, but he's clearly over his head and not deserving to be there anymore. He's shown he lacks basic knowledge that any chef should have - such as what etouffe is. It seems like he's more of a guy who likes to eat and tries to recreate what enjoys eating. He'd be a great home cook, but is far from truly being a chef. Tom has said he really pushed the show to get away from the way it was done in early seasons where they'd have chefs compete with home cooks, caterers, etc. With Carlos, they let one slip in who was not quite the chef calibre of everyone else.
    I think they had a good reason for sending Carrie home, but Carlos wasn't that much better with his non-fish. But I also don't think that the judges know what's going on in the kitchen, and I think they were still a bit cranky about Carrie's broccoli the week before (opinion reinforced after watching LCK).

I can't stand Nina and it looks like she might win. I have not been able to really get into this season at all. I didn't really like many of the contestants and the one I did like, the blonde from australia went home way too early. I liked Carlos until he started acting silly. I even liked Justin until RW....he acted like a total p**ck.

Since I can't stand Nina and could care less about the others and know absolutely nothing about LA food, I guess it wouldn't be odd that I stop watching completely since I rarely sit thru an episode. But i have a question: what is it that Nina keeps saying to people which sounds suspiciously like "s**k my c**k"? I swear I kept hearing her say that to people but I couldn't believe she would actually be allowed to say it. Anybody know what i am referring to?
    Florimel and KathyinMaine like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast