+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 10/9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 10/9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

i hope somebody can answer this, but if it's too complicated don't bother. what is a roux? i have not had gumbo since i was a child and then it was cooked by a neighbor of mine and all i remember about it was that it was like a soup, had rice and tomatoes and some kind of nasty critters in it i didn't want to eat. but it was just homemade stuff not from a chef. what is supposed to be in gumbo?

A roux is what you start out with when making many sauces. You heat equal amounts of butter and flour, stirring (I use a whisk) until they are completely mixed and the flour is no longer raw. Then you add milk and continue cooking until it thickens. After that you add other ingredients according to what you are making.

As far as Last Chance Kitchen goes, I think I remember that they didn't start the actual competitions until four chefs have been eliminated, but all four were given their chance there. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Lilimax, the roux for Gumbo is 1/2 cup oil to 1 cup flour. Heat oil, slowly add flour and continue to stir, stir, stir, until it becomes a chocolate brown (mine gets milk chocolate colored before I tire of stirring, better cooks get semi-sweet colored roux.) To that add your trinity of onion, celery, green pepper, and chicken broth, maybe a little wine and diced tomatoes. Any kind of meat, fowl or seafood you like is the protein. Lots of people expect okra in it, but I've never cooked okra, not sure how. On-line there are as many recipes as there are cooks, each with their own mix of spices and other ingredients.

Now, a question from me. Is this Last Chance Kitchen a totally separate show or part of Top Chef, kind of like Redemption Island where people can come back in? How does it work?

I went ahead and started the Last Chance Kitchen thread with all the details and links:

Top Chef - Last Chance Kitchen: New Orleans (BravoTV.com & On-Demand)
    Punkin and momrek06 like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

As far as I remember (and please correct me if I'm wrong), LCK was only on the Bravo site. Once it was started (I think Florimel is right on how it starts), then the eliminated chef goes up against the winner of the last LCK challenge. That goes on until the final three are picked on the main show and the LCK winner gets to compete in the two part finale. I always found it hard to watch LCK right after the main airing, but if I tried a few days later, it would play. I think the Bravo site is not up to snuff on most videos, or maybe I need to update my browser once again.

And in regard to okra in gumbo, it is easy. Either get fresh, wash it, and cut it up, or buy the frozen cut up okra. Toss it all in (even still frozen) with the trinity (tomatoes if that's you're pleasure), and meat and it will cook. Granted, it is an acquired taste. I like it, but loads of people find it slimy and gross.

Punkin, I wasn't meaning to call you out on the spelling of roux, so I apologize if it seemed that way. It's an honest mistake since every street in the Quarter is Rue Something.

Did anyone notice the "POLL" on the TV screen at the bottom?

The % was very high that the WRONG chef was eliminated.

Who would you have eliminated? I agreed with Tom; "don't sacrifice your meal to be a host"!

I agreed that Jason had to go!

Yeah to Carrie! I like her!
    KAREN

Just wanted to add that in addition to being on the Bravo site, I get Last Chance Kitchen on my Cox On Demand.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    <snip> I haven't any idea what a ceviche is, and that's just for starters! I just might learn something.
    Ceviche is raw fish "cooked" in acid (like lemon or lime juice). Other things can be added (typically onions or chili peppers), although it depends on where you're eating it (each region has its own features).
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Now, a question from me. Is this Last Chance Kitchen a totally separate show or part of Top Chef, kind of like Redemption Island where people can come back in? How does it work?
    Others have indicated the basics of LCK. It's worth noting that Kristen, the winner of last season, was eliminated several weeks before the end and won her way back into the finale from LCK. This was a good thing IMO because she went way too early.

I always watch it on the Bravo app on my iPad.

Tom did say to the first guy eliminated that he'd have his chance on LCK so it looks like all four of the eliminated chefs will go head to head in the first episode. Last year it was 1 v 1 (with one exception where they ran a pair after a double elimination), but they haven't said if they'll do 1v1 or some other format this year. I'm guessing that they'll increase the number of chefs competing most weeks because with two chefs only it's usually pretty obvious who's going to win despite the editors' best efforts.
    Punkin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123