+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Top Chef Seattle 1/16 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: Top Chef Seattle 1/16 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I wonder if the other two didn't speak up because they knew Kristen was tougher competition and a chance for her to be eliminated would help them.
    I did think of that. That's why I was hoping they'd have been asked a direct question or two about what happened. I don't know that either of them would have had it in them to lie outright, and if the judges doubted their veracity, they could always have asked Kristen if what they'd said was true. Then, standards or no standards, she'd have had to agree or disagree, and I don't think she would have lied to protect them, as she didn't lie to protect Josie either. She simply felt that as executive chef, it was ultimately her responsibility to see that the concept and the food were good. She didn't say Josie did a good job. She just didn't use Josie's mistakes to promote her own cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Looks like one more "reality" show I can drop from my watch list. Kristen has been at the top for so long and Josie at the bottom, but they send Kristen home? I wish Kristen had been willing to sink to Josie's level this once and raked her over the coals. This is not good, dramatic tv as the misguided judges seem to think. Watching Josie isn't even close to be mildly entertaining. Bye bye, Top Chef.
    I agree. They can handle the show anyway they wish, but to see a great chef be ousted and leave this other pathetic chef, is too much. That was my last episode. Too stupid and depressing.
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Looks like one more "reality" show I can drop from my watch list. Kristen has been at the top for so long and Josie at the bottom, but they send Kristen home? I wish Kristen had been willing to sink to Josie's level this once and raked her over the coals. This is not good, dramatic tv as the misguided judges seem to think. Watching Josie isn't even close to be mildly entertaining. Bye bye, Top Chef.
    I can't find it in myself to blame the judges or the production for this. Kristen fell on her sword and did so as absolutely as one could. Sure, "if" the judges had thought to ask other questions the truth might have come out, but in the end Kristen is the only one to blame for her ouster. I wish her the best in LCK, and I feel badly for her, but it shouldn't be up to the judges or the crew to stand up for someone who is bound by some sense of duty to take the blame for something.

Quote Originally Posted by jsciv View Post
    I can't find it in myself to blame the judges or the production for this. Kristen fell on her sword and did so as absolutely as one could. Sure, "if" the judges had thought to ask other questions the truth might have come out, but in the end Kristen is the only one to blame for her ouster. I wish her the best in LCK, and I feel badly for her, but it shouldn't be up to the judges or the crew to stand up for someone who is bound by some sense of duty to take the blame for something.
    I see your point, but it's their show and if the show is a turnoff, then they may lose viewers. I think that's fair.
    Florimel and cubsfan55 like this.

All the posts here really made me think deeper about the outcome of this episode....I think Kristen's choice to "bite her tongue" and not speak about Josie's actions was her only mistake.
    I know a lot of people feel that in a competition, nothing should get in the way of winning but I think it's rather admirable and not seen very much anymore that someone has pride and takes responsibility for what they feel is their obligation. That's rare today.
    So why she did that, I understand....why she didn't speak about the pros and cons of each of her team, I don't understand. Kristen had to make choices that she wouldn't have had to do if Josie had done her part correctly and according to what Kristen told her to do.
    So I admire Kristen greatly but think she could have handled it differently without compromising her pride and her sense of duty.

I can't stand Josie for all the reason everyone has mentioned but tonight, she really got me. In the Stew room, before the judging, she remarked: "
    Well, let's face it, I'm an easy target."
    what the heck did she mean by that? That they would eliminate her because of who she was, rather how she performed??? I hate when people do that. It's that victim thingy again.
    NFL1, NCLurker, Florimel and 1 others like this.

I think Top Chef and its judges need to really re-consider a few things moving forward if they want to keep their audience (especially as new networks are really rolling out a lot of competition):
    First, they can start with the immunity prize awarded during quickfires. So far, Ive loved the fact that the credibility has not been called into question...meaning someone with immunity can make an awful tasting dish and still not pack their knives and go. The problem, however, is when someone with immunity actually serves a dish that could potentially kill someone (see Josie serving raw turkey during the Thanksgiving episode when she had immunity). With all the food borne illnesses and the need to observe and practice food safety NO ONE SHOULD BE SAFE serving raw poultry, period. If it can potentially kill a diner then youve just forfeited your chance at becoming Top Chef and should go, no questions asked.
    Second, this is Top CHEF, not top server, top scallop, top whatever. I get that they need drama and need to make it sound like both teams are tight going into elimination but do it with editing instead of saying absurd things at the table. My husband and I were dumbstruck at how ridiculous they sounded when talking about the service and how it potentially made the other restaurant better overall...oh, and how they kept harking on how they wouldn't return based one "bad" server whose main flaw was not explaining a dish or hovering over their table when they certainly aren't food novices needing a guided tour. First of all, once in a while you get a crap server. Second, if the service is all-around awful but the food is out of this world then you order take-out...this isn't brain surgery. I understand that a great restaurant encompasses many things but the comments falling out of the judges mouths were just too ridiculous.
    Third, get the judging panel in order with the comments and expectations. Earlier this season when CJ was eliminated based on his pickle I thought he could easily win...his comments in the interview about what Tom C. could say were SPOT ON....I think many longterm fans have heard Tom say and lean towards being simple but delicious so many times it's become a bit annoying. And then, whoops, nope, not this time? Also, does the team leader always have to take the blame and why are they so dang hard on desserts when it's common knowledge that there are folks who specialize in that realm known as PASTRY CHEFS? In fact, didn't they try to do a spinoff for this little niche?

Top Chef is a household favorite but when the judges are constantly hammering on about how credible the show is I feel like we may need to begin considering taking that with a grain of salt...
    TripleGemini and Dragonlady like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post
    Top Chef is a household favorite but when the judges are constantly hammering on about how credible the show is I feel like we may need to begin considering taking that with a grain of salt...
    That ship sailed long ago I believe, LOL.

I just can't wrap my brain around their rationalization for this particular decision: Send home someone who has been surprising us and probably will keep doing go, send someone who has been doing poorly and will continue to do so. Which restaurant are you going to visit in the future!?
    Florimel likes this.

Exactly. When the entire panel (save for Padma, who was really flogging the rules at them) looks like they want to crawl under the table as they render their verdict, they should have the courage to stop and say, "C'MON..."

There is no way Josie wins this season. If she did, the show will have officially jumped the shark. But Kristen's performance has already earned her a place in the next All-Stars for sure.

Now, if Stefan doesn't manage to school everyone else and win it all, it will seem like a further letdown, because I don't know who is left who is at his level.
    cubsfan55 likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

When talking about the credibility of the show, does the future of a winning chef matter? If so, maybe Kristen leaving was appropriate for the credibility. Being a chef is not just about making great dishes. It's also about being able to consistently produce those dishes in a timely manner in a busy kitchen. It's also about being an effective manager. While Kristen was tested at these skills more because she was the executive chef, she failed at them. It doesn't mean she's worse than Josie. But it could mean that after the show she will have some limitations in her career that the eventual winner hopefully won't have.

First of all, mindy384, brilliant post...you said everything I've been thinking.
    And thank you for this that brought a smile to my face, remembering Fabio saying this:
    Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post
    Second, this is Top CHEF, not top server, top scallop, top whatever.
    And you are so right...this is Top Chef and I think Stefan said it best last episode. Why were the judges harping on the service so much? They shouldn't forget that not only did they have to do all that's entailed with starting a restaurant, they had to build their own kitchen!

It's unfortunate that TPTB on so many reality shows now think that the viewers need DRAMA to keep us watching. Their scripting of the DRAMA is what is turning us off. It was good enough in the beginning to just watch the competition.....but the direction these shows are given not only bother us greatly (mostly because we can see thru it and how they are manipulating us) will probably just hasten their demise. And I think most "reality" shows are going that way...Project Runway, Top Chef, The Bachelor and many others.
    We want to see a contest where the one with the most talent wins. Period.

I don't want/need to see loud, obnoxious, mean, cheating (pureed peas) etc for entertainment. I want to see talent discovered.
    I would think that the people set up as judges would not want their reputation tarnished by using such faulty transparent methods for judging....but I guess money speaks louder than principal.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast