+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Top Chef 1/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: Top Chef 1/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Also, why does Padma eat from her knife?? Is that some kind of continental way of using silverware that I'm not familiar with?
    Eating with the fork in the left hand and knife in the right without switching the fork from left hand to right (like those in the United States do) is common just about everywhere. Except the US ;-) I've seen people eat this way in England, Europe, New Zealand, and Australia.

FORT Regular

Was Dragonlady saying she saw Padma eating FROM her knife? I am familiar with concept of eating with the fork in the left hand and the knife in the right, but I didn't think it included actually eating from the knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Neecy44 View Post
    Was Dragonlady saying she saw Padma eating FROM her knife? I am familiar with concept of eating with the fork in the left hand and the knife in the right, but I didn't think it included actually eating from the knife.
    I haven't watched last night's show yet, but it's customary in many countries to eat from the knife. (It's also customary to not switch the fork from the left to right hands after cutting portions.)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs View Post
    I think it is part of the challenge!

Feeling Lindsey will get the axe. But wish Sara would go, tired of her attitude.

But also seeing that Bev is soooooooooo not a team player. She does the least amount in each challenge and is passive aggressive. She didn't deserve Heather's berating, but I will be disappointed if she makes it to the end.

Last challenge she didn't do a meat course and this challenge she did one dish to the two the others were doing.

I was pretty distracted while watching, so maybe I missed something, but I thought Bev basically did two dishes--she did her own short rib dish and she did Lindsey's fish entree. I know she didn't come up with the concept for the fish dish, but I thought she cooked it, as Lindsey was blaming her for it being unpopular and improperly cooked (though Grayson contended Bev did as Lindsey told her and that the way Lindsey wanted it cooked resulted in it being overcooked).

I don't particularly care one way or another whether Bev makes it to the final, but I really hope Sara doesn't. There was no point in her telling Bev, once out of earshot of the guys and the judges, that she only won because of everyone else's input into her dish. Even if she felt that way, she could still have kept her mouth shut about it--and next time, be less forthcoming with help if she thinks that's why Bev won, unless Bev's success in the next challenge somehow hinges on Sara sticking around. I don't think anyone's required to help anyone else unless it's a team challenge--it is a competition, after all--but they don't have to be poor sports when they don't win either. I'm not even expecting them to be gracious, but I don't think it's too much to expect them to keep the nasty comments to themselves.

I guess Sara didn't feel she needed to be loud as long as Heather was around but since Heather left Sara has picked up where Heather left off. It does appear Bev's a bit of a mess but Grayson defended her. I get that Bev was only doing one dish but why was she expected to cook the halibut when that was the course her own dish was on? Seems like that should have been passed to someone else. Also how rude do you have to be to tell Lindsey in front of the winner (who the judges obviously thought had the best dish) that if it weren't for her they wouldn't have won. Looked like the opposite was true to me. Clearly the food was what won the challenge and NOT the service.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Eating with the fork in the left hand and knife in the right without switching the fork from left hand to right (like those in the United States do) is common just about everywhere. Except the US ;-) I've seen people eat this way in England, Europe, New Zealand, and Australia.
    My family and I recently went to dinner with some friends and during the main course one of our friend's was watching my son cut his food (he's 8) and she then said, "there must be someone European in your family". I couldn't understand how she knew that by watching us eat, but then she pointed at my son and me holding our knives in our right hand and our forks in our left hand, cutting our food, and eating from the fork without switching hands. I laughed and told her my Mom is British and I must've passed that on to my children (they both cut the same way and my husband does not). I guess in the back of my mind I knew it was different, but it's normal to us so I never think about it. It seems weird to me to cut your meat, put your knife down, switch hands with your fork, take a bite and then start all over again.

ETA: If Padma was eating off her knife I missed it too!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    I guess Sara didn't feel she needed to be loud as long as Heather was around but since Heather left Sara has picked up where Heather left off. It does appear Bev's a bit of a mess but Grayson defended her. I get that Bev was only doing one dish but why was she expected to cook the halibut when that was the course her own dish was on? Seems like that should have been passed to someone else. Also how rude do you have to be to tell Lindsey in front of the winner (who the judges obviously thought had the best dish) that if it weren't for her they wouldn't have won. Looked like the opposite was true to me. Clearly the food was what won the challenge and NOT the service.
    I meant to mention that Bev was doing both entrees--thanks for doing it when I forgot. That just seemed like really bad planning, because it would mean both her dishes would have to be done at the same time, making it much harder to concentrate on doing both well. As we've seen before, whenever someone is trying to do two dishes simultaneously, the one that's his/her own generally turns out better. I don't think that's because the chef is necessarily ignoring the other person's dish or giving extra attention to his/her own, however. Perhaps it's just because you're likely to understand how your own dish should be cooked and served better than someone else's. And really, if Bev was viewed as such an incompetent, why let her do both entrees? That seems like a huge gamble right there. What if neither of the entrees had turned out well? I don't think appetizers and desserts, no matter how good, would have helped save them then.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I'm well aware of this use of knife and fork, particularly in Europe...in fact, I think it makes a lot more sense than we who switch.
    But I saw Padma eat food OFF her knife...I was surprised and backed up the recording to be sure of what I saw....and that's what she did. I Googled it and found it was a practice around the 1860's in dirty cheap restaurants. I really doubt that's why Padma was doing it but I was just wondering if this was a practice that I was unaware of. Looked very odd to me.
    Like I said, I think the continental way of not switching fork and knife seems a lot more practical than our method but eating off a knife just seemed weird to me.
    Shoepie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I'm well aware of this use of knife and fork, particularly in Europe...in fact, I think it makes a lot more sense than we who switch.
    But I saw Padma eat food OFF her knife...I was surprised and backed up the recording to be sure of what I saw....and that's what she did. I Googled it and found it was a practice around the 1860's in dirty cheap restaurants. I really doubt that's why Padma was doing it but I was just wondering if this was a practice that I was unaware of. Looked very odd to me.
    Like I said, I think the continental way of not switching fork and knife seems a lot more practical than our method but eating off a knife just seemed weird to me.
    I believe I have seen Padma eat off her knife in the past as well.

I never realized about this European style of cutting and not switching utensil hands. Now I feel like I should try it the next time I eat a meal which includes meat!

I've also seen Padma eat from her knife in the past and just assumed that whatever she was eating was so tasty, she didn't want to leave any behind.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast