+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Top Chef 1/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Top Chef 1/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

It's a BBQ explosion, with actual casualties in ambulances!

DVR ALERT: Tonight's episode is super-sized (75 minutes).

Please keep all discussion in here until 11:15pm PT / 2:15am ET.

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Re: Top Chef 1/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I couldn't figure out why everyone was so excited about doing barbecue, when they'd already done it earlier this season.

Sucks that Ed and Ty had to wing it without Sara. I have mixed feelings about her coming back last minute.

Sad to see Malibu Chris go. He was fun and had some pretty nice looking dishes. Would rather have dorky Chris go home. He just tries to be too clever and falls short more often than not.

Loved Last Chance Kitchen!
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I couldn't figure out why everyone was so excited about doing barbecue, when they'd already done it earlier this season.
    I know -- they really aren't using much imagination with these Texas challenges -- it's been pretty a pretty stereotypical view of the regional cuisine so far.

Bye-bye Malibu Chris. I'll miss everything about you...except the Miami Vice sculpted 5 0'clock shadow.

FORT Fogey

I'm in the middle of the second showing now (I missed the first) and I don't particularly understand why Sarah was so dismayed about Ed saying that Heather had been using his recipes. I do think Ed is a snake, and untrustworthy. However, I understand what he was saying. Early in the competition, it's worth giving someone a recipe in a group challenge to stay afloat. As the competition continues, that changes.

I adore Paul. I really hope he wins. I also think Grayson is gorgeous, in a big-boned kind of way.

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs View Post
    Sad to see Malibu Chris go. He was fun and had some pretty nice looking dishes.
    Personally, I thought Chris was a pretty nice looking dish himself!!

Sarah bugs the heck out of me...very negative person. Didn't like how she said that Ed had a "dark" side to him, just because he gave Heather his recipe but didn't say anything at the time. That wasn't a dark side, it was a considerate side...maybe just not the right choice in a competition.
    Then she gets upset that things aren't done her way after she returns from the hospital. The other two had to make adjustments to being one person down and she should have just accepted it since they were doing the best they could. Or maybe suggested changes in a more diplomatic way and not turn into a huffy person.
    Jeeze, what attitude!
    I agree...Grayson is gorgeous but she could use a filter before she speaks sometimes. It was cute seeing Tom C. get embarrassed when she said it tasted like sex in the mouth. You could almost see all the comebacks Tom was considering to say...but thought it best to just be quiet.
    FireWoman and sparklete like this.

Although she had no control over her heatstroke, Sarah also rubbed me the wrong, Dragonlady. The fact that she sat down right after talking to the judges was a bit fishy. Health is more important, but her timing was just a little too impeccable.

(I do have to say, however, that the way Ed acted when she arrived was childish. I don't fault him for saying stuff under his breath because he's human and anyone would have been PO'd for a team member to vanish then arrive all of a sudden. But part of these team challenges is to see how you interact with fellow chefs who are just as talented as the next guy. He definitely failed in that part. Ty-Lor had stuff to say also, but he kept it to himself. I thought it was charming when he sounded like he cared when asking Sarah if she was alright upon he arrival, especially compared to Ed who just brushed her off. Although they had a rhythm going with just the two of them, he was still a tad bit rude.)

And as you mentioned, the whole heatstroke situation was preceded by her confessional about Ed not confronting Heather about using his recipe while she was there. It would have been worse if he had done that. We saw how she belittled Bev... I'm not suggesting that people like Heather shouldn't be confronted or dealt with directly. But in a high-stress competition like Top Chef, it would probably better for one's psyche to avoid situations like that.

It's a shame, because aside from the third episode -- in which the tag-teaming job with Lindsay was done on Keith -- Sarah hasn't really bugged me. And it's a shame because I think she's a strong contender for the title... I want to actually like a TC winner this time around. I'm banking on either her, Paul, or Lindsay to take it, with Grayson as the dark horse. But truly, I could also see all the others who weren't named win.

ETA: This was my first post in almost a year... I have to laugh when looking at my current signature and avatar and how outdated they are. Wow, and how much things have changed with the layout of this site!
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 01-05-2012 at 06:59 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I have too much of a crush on Ed to say anything bad about him.

FORT Fogey

Grayson could use a filter.... but I almost appreciated her comments because Tom looking awkward was too darn cute!!!

I've really liked Sarah all season, and then suddenly there's this different side to her this week. I'm almost tempted to use the "editing" cliche about how she was shown this week, but I guess nobody put words in her mouth. Hopefully she'll settle down for the next challenge.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast