+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Top Chef 1/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: Top Chef 1/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Sarah was always in my list of disliked chefs, so I know I'm not going to be sympathetic towards her, but I've had her pegged as a bully since the incident with Keith, albeit one who bullies through passive-aggressive behavior, rather than being loud and obnoxious.

That said, Ed really has no excuse for his behavior either; being hostile to a teammate in a team competition is counterproductive.

Glad Lindsay, Paul and Grayson won; been pulling for Paul from the word go, and Grayson's growing on me.
    TripleGemini and sparklete like this.
    Revenge is ice cream.

I always thought of Sarah, Heather, and the blond as "the mean girls", probably after the same incident that HaikenEdge referred to. And while Ed is weird, I thought it was classy to *not* say anything about Heather using his cake recipe twice. I couldn't quite figure out why Sarah was so bent out of shape about him talking about it now...it's not like it will affect anything...although I was hoping that she was getting the "loser" edit...no such luck ;-).

I think he felt safe to say something as she is gone, gone, gone and they were talking about being on their own and no more sharing...that is when he brought up his sharing with Heather.

I would have like to have sampled the Asian influenced barbeque as that was the winner. Being safe with normal 'que didn't work like some thought it would.
    sparklete likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I'm going to give everyone a pass on their attitudes/heatstroke/whatever for this episode. They were outside, over fires, during one of the hottest, driest summers Texas has ever had. Heck, I'm one state over and if I had to stay up all night in the somewhat wetter, not quite as hot (didn't crack 100 after dark, had more humidity) outside, I wouldn't be nice to a little old lady offering me ice water, air conditioning, a cold compress for my head and $30K in cash. Sleep-deprived, over-heated me is not a good person. For that reason, I thought the crabbiness was rather low-key by my personal hate of protracted times in heat.

My problem with this episode, and frankly this season, is that the chefs seem to "go big" in the QFs but play it relatively safe (and thus boring) in the ECs. Six of the nine remaining chefs went fairly traditional BBQ, down to the damn white bread (corn syrup filled nonsense!), undercooked beans, sad cole slaw...yipes, that's uncreative. Just on the cole slaw, there's this one we do that's not mayo-heavy at all, and has a bit of brightness with a slightly more vinegar flavor, a bit of fresh jalepeno, and fresh cilantro. That'd totally work in Texas but wouldn't be so "obvious".

And as for Texas itself, I've only really spent time in IAH and San Antonio proper, and the best meals I had in San Antonio were at a traditional Flamenco restaurant and an Italian hole in the wall that I'm convinced, to this day, was run by the mafia. But they had proper ravioli and manicotti (crepes, not tubes). I wish they'd get away from the grilling, hunting, and stereotypical stuff and get into the real Texas. There's a bit of Texas that has a Czech influence and advertizes kolache (the meat kind, not the sweet kind my Slovak relations endorse) along side I-10. I wish they'd amp the season up with some of the more interesting flavors of Texas, which, according to the ads of the 90s, was like visiting a 'whole other country'.

FORT Fan

Agree PhoneGrrrl....I know down in Gruene, there's a lot of Germanic influence. And obviously Sara works in an Italian kitchen, so there are a lot of different cuisines in Texas. I do LIKE seeing the regional challenges, but I wonder if that's part of the reason why the chefs are 'playing it safe' in the elimination challenges. The Quickfires seem to allow them more creativity than a challenge that mandates they do barbeque or chilli.

I actually like Sara...felt horrible for her that Ed kind of shut her out when she came back. I understand that he and Ty had nailed down a system, but he could have made more of an effort to find something for her to do. I'm kinda liking her-I was dying to taste her QF dish. And I don't blame her for going and sitting down right after serving the judges. I've suffered from heat exhaustion and it took me several DAYS to get back to normal. I got the feeling she had fought the medics to come back for even that short period of time so she didn't look so bad. It definitely didn't play to me like when Jamie left during all stars.

Side note, I'm a huge Stoney LaRue fan, and I loved the quick shot of him playing during the EC. He's an amazing Texas artist, and I highly recommend his music to everyone here.

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

I felt sorry for Ed when the judges went after him for slicing his meat too soon. As was pointed out in a voice-over while they were serving, there was a lot of stuff to put on those plates, and if one person had been tied down to cutting meat to order for each customer, it would have been nearly impossible for the other person to do all of the rest of the plating. However one feels about Sara, Ed and/or Ty-Lor, that team WAS down one person for most of the challenge, and I think they should have been given a little slack on trying to simplify serving.
    ness and sparklete like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I felt sorry for Ed when the judges went after him for slicing his meat too soon. As was pointed out in a voice-over while they were serving, there was a lot of stuff to put on those plates, and if one person had been tied down to cutting meat to order for each customer, it would have been nearly impossible for the other person to do all of the rest of the plating. However one feels about Sara, Ed and/or Ty-Lor, that team WAS down one person for most of the challenge, and I think they should have been given a little slack on trying to simplify serving.
    I agree.

The judges were full of it.

Personally, I would've liked to have seen two of THEM pull off that challenge (being one person down) WITHOUT pre-slicing the meat.

And if they HADN'T pre-sliced the meat, E & T would've hosed themselves by trying to keep up slicing meat, loading plates and serving 300 people in a timely fashion. They wouldn't've been able to pull that off well, and the judges would've been pitching a bitch about people not being served before the Second Coming.

On this particular challenge, the guys were screwed no matter WHAT they did or would've tried, methinks.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    I agree.

The judges were full of it.

Personally, I would've liked to have seen two of THEM pull off that challenge (being one person down) WITHOUT pre-slicing the meat.

And if they HADN'T pre-sliced the meat, E & T would've hosed themselves by trying to keep up slicing meat, loading plates and serving 300 people in a timely fashion. They wouldn't've been able to pull that off well, and the judges would've been pitching a bitch about people not being served before the Second Coming.

On this particular challenge, the guys were screwed no matter WHAT they did or would've tried, methinks.
    Probably why they were chewed out, but not eliminated.
    ness likes this.
    Revenge is ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by HaikenEdge View Post
    Probably why they were chewed out, but not eliminated.
    Yep.

Most likely, that IS why they weren't eliminated.

Bottom line, I think the judges just only ripped them new ones because, according to where they were coming from, for all intents and purposes, pre-slicing the meat ruined it (or at least that's the way I interpreted what they said). IIRC, pretty much most any other time a cheftestant has ruined the centerpoint of a meal, they've usually secured themselves a one-way ticket out the front door by doing so.

I, too, really don't think there would've been any logical way --- being one pair of hands down, and, of course, THAT not being their fault or anything they could've controlled --- the judges could've sent EITHER of the guys out of there (Ed, not Ty-lor, I think, anyway; didn't Ty have immunity?). But they SURE wanted to scare the hell out of them FFR (i.e., For Future Reference) and let THEM know that THEY were aware of where the big breakdown in the meal was, and WHY it was.

The judges figured they had to come across as tough a-holes no matter WHAT the circumstances were, I suppose.

And shame on them for that.
    AZChristian and sparklete like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

But it's not like Ty-lor and Ed weren't aware that pre-slicing the meat was a mistake; Ed made it abundantly clear that he knew that, by slicing the meat and putting it into catering trays, the meat was going to be steamed, which, according to him, is the opposite of barbecuing. Generally, when a chef gets elimmed for cocking up the meat, it's because of some technical error that had to do with the way they cooked the meat, ie, the game meat challenge, that they were generally unaware of, rather than something that the chef themselves were aware of.
    Revenge is ice cream.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast