+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Chef Masters 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Top Chef Masters 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Please keep all discussion in here until 2AM ET / 11PM PT.

Enjoy the Masters!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

Re: Top Chef Masters 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

The quick fire was interesting, for the first time, because we got to see the food and hear it discussed.

The elimination challenge was a disaster for chefs and viewers alike. The food critic judge questions them as to why the service was so slow. Really? Really? You cannot guess? We got 40 minutes of pure chaos.

I know quinoa fritters won but what else was in them? I have no clue what the other two of the top three made, what any of the side dishes were beyond the cauliflower and watermellon. The cauliflower was good, he said, but that was it. Why was it good; how was it prepared? So the minimal focus on the food continues.

It would be helpful to show a picture, with discription, of the food in the corner of the screen as they show the chef or talk about a particular dish.

FORT Newbie

This show is becoming painful to watch. It seems like they are focusing less on innovative, delicious food and more on devising challenges that will trip up the chefs. I guess I'm just tired on the constant curveballs!

It doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of the critics this season. For some reason all except Curtis come off as rather arrogant....at least in my view.

I pretty much have lost interest and didn't even watch last night. (It seems I'm not alone!) I agree, I don't like the the lack of focus on the food and the challeges are over the top. I really just want to see them make wonderful dishes with great ingredients; not dishes of crap from ingredients that don't go together yet their forced to use just to see if they can "handle the stress" of it all. Sheesh.

FORT Fogey

I understand the need to challenge them because their brains are full of fabulous food they could churn out in a heartbeat having owned at least one restaurant for years. They don't want a challenge full of award winning menu items from their repetoire.

However, there is a gray area that would be good! Bugs? A drive up window? Give them an assortment of ingredients for one challenge like Chopped. Perpare a meal for kids. Street push cart. You could challenge them by allowing a very short time in the super market and limited pantry supplies. But keep in mind viewing pleasure since this is a TV show, afterall. Last night was a mess. It was a blur of chef coats and little food.

We have not gotten an opportunity to get to know them much either. The slower moments allow this to happen.

FORT Fogey

This show feel like Top Chef light to me. These are supposed to be masters, but they are being treated like the regular contestants trying to break into becoming a master. I cannot stand any of the judges, and Curtis is too stiff to host for my taste. I liked the old format of Top Chef Masters a lot better, and feel that it showcased them without making a mockery out of them. Last night made everyone look foolish, and really was nothing about the food. Sitting in the car screaming that it was taking too long when clearly they knew when they did this challenge it would, than screaming the food was nasty when they were under those conditions made the judges look so ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    Give them an assortment of ingredients for one challenge like Chopped. Perpare a meal for kids. Street push cart. You could challenge them by allowing a very short time in the super market and limited pantry supplies.
    You have some great ideas. I would like to see them challenged to create a healthy, gourmet meal that the average child would eat. Or have them do a food truck, I love those! I can't stand the limited time/limited supplies challenges because these are masters. They should be above that sort of nonsense. Give them challenges that push their creativity and ability to sell their award winning dishes.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    You have some great ideas. I would like to see them challenged to create a healthy, gourmet meal that the average child would eat. Or have them do a food truck, I love those! I can't stand the limited time/limited supplies challenges because these are masters. They should be above that sort of nonsense. Give them challenges that push their creativity and ability to sell their award winning dishes.
    I don't like to see them with healthy restrictions either because this has meant calorie restrictions, whole grains only etc, in the past. They take that too far. Let them roll with what they know and if we, at home, want to take an idea from them and put a healthier spin on it, we can.

A picnic, camping menu, creative pizza, a sandwich buffet or brunch. There are so many things better than that fast food disaster. Creating good fast food would have been interesting but to throw them in that restaurant without trained staff to work the register and window was just not entertaining. I would have liked to have seen what they created without the stress of running the place.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    I don't like to see them with healthy restrictions either because this has meant calorie restrictions, whole grains only etc, in the past. They take that too far. Let them roll with what they know and if we, at home, want to take an idea from them and put a healthier spin on it, we can.

A picnic, camping menu, creative pizza, a sandwich buffet or brunch. There are so many things better than that fast food disaster. Creating good fast food would have been interesting but to throw them in that restaurant without trained staff to work the register and window was just not entertaining. I would have liked to have seen what they created without the stress of running the place.
    Well I didn't mean healthy restrictions. I was just saying if they can get most children to eat something beyond chicken nuggets and fries. My son is different though because he's a foodie in the making, however, he eats things that the majority of his friends run away from!

Oooo pizza! That could be fun, have them do everything from scratch including the dough and sauce. I'd love to see them make sandwiches too so I can steal some ideas. What about the wine pairing challenges? Those are fun or they could do a microbrewery challenge. Have them draw knives and whatever is on that knife they have to create a dish that is not only paired with it but incorporates the brew into it.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I'm in agreement that this season of TCM is not as good as the previous two. I also agree that it's too similar to the regular TC and that's not a good thing IMO. I liked the way they were able to build friendships better and it wasn't as cut-throat. They are already masters as their craft and it's for charity. I liked better seeing what great things they could make rather than the crazy stuff they're coming up with now. Why didn't they at least tell them it was a fast food challenge. It's ruining the show. I hope they go back closer to the other formula. They've altered it slightly each time, but this season they are not good changes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast