+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: All-Stars 1/19 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: All-Stars 1/19 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Just starting to watch this. Still disappointed that Jen was eliminated so early in the season, but did not realize until this opening sequence that she was a victim of "the Hammer," lol.

Quick fire: once again Marcel is a mirror. Mike I. calls Marcel a "dick," and "a rude, inconsiderate person." Just like I said about Dale last week, I have never liked Mike I., and I think his descriptions apply to himself, not Marcel.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;4155317;
    Just starting to watch this. Still disappointed that Jen was eliminated so early in the season, but did not realize until this opening sequence that she was a victim of "the Hammer," lol.

Quick fire: once again Marcel is a mirror. Mike I. calls Marcel a "dick," and "a rude, inconsiderate person." Just like I said about Dale last week, I have never liked Mike I., and I think his descriptions apply to himself, not Marcel.
    But in this same episode Mike I also said that Marcel needs to grow up. That being aid, it was offensive of Marcel to snipe at Angelo when he is probably the only chef on his team willing to support him. Marcel sank his own "battleship".
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4155151;
    Edited to highlight your point

Smartest thing Dale did was to make Marcel the other team captain . . . . . it made sure he wouldn't get stuck working with him

The best thing was that he did it in such a subtle way and he didn't really gloat about it. Crafty!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;4155561;
    The best thing was that he did it in such a subtle way and he didn't really gloat about it. Crafty!
    Plus, Marcel being Marcel, thought it was a "compliment." What a schmuck.

As for Mike saying Marcel is an okay guy, he just needs to grow up and figure out how to talk to people, I immediately thought, "How much longer do we need to wait for him to grow up?" Then Marcel justified my annoyance by saying he wouldn't have done anything differently. Unlike a number of other chefs, he seems to have taken nothing away from his first experience (or this one) in terms of what he does well and what he could do better.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;4155196;
    i was most worried for Tiffany this episode. Yes, she is good at chatting up pepople, but as we've seen in the past yes she has a big ol' laugh, and it seemed to offend the judges. Probably more than it offended the patrons, which is likely what saved her. Most average people don't mind a pleasant conversation when their presence is welcomed, even if it comes with a big ol' laugh attached. Next, I was worried about Antonia. So happy that Marcel went home. Not only do I dislike his attitude, in the end it was his antics that slowed down the progress in the kitchen. It's not that he had a weak team, it's that he made his team look weak. He had some good chefs to work with, but the chaos diminished them.

I think the problem was more than Tiffany's big ol' laugh. By her own admission, while she was willing to do front of the house, she's more comfortable cooking. So, perhaps the judges weren't too far off when they thought her jollity seemed a bit forced at times--if someone's not entirely comfortable doing something, their efforts, however sincere, may come off as somewhat awkward. More importantly, though, was the fact that, as Tom pointed out, she was in charge of the front of the house and the waitstaff was disorganized and looked lost--at one point, there wasn't a single server on the floor, and that was seen as a big no-no. While Tiffany was chatting up some tables of customers, others weren't getting adequate attention from anyone. I think while they mentioned the laugh--which did seem disproportionately loud, considering how quiet the restaurant was--the other problems were stressed too, and they contributed to why Tiffany could have been in trouble as well (in addition to the fact that her egg dish didn't work out terribly well either). Marcel, however, screwed up both his dishes and clearly never had control of his kitchen/restaurant, which wouldn't have been brought up in the way it was, had he not also behaved like a jerk at judging. As soon as that fight broke out, and it became apparent how badly Marcel had handled things as executive chef, I figured he was justifiably doomed.

Tiffany's problems with service also likely were particularly noted, because she had to follow Fabio, who has tons of front of the house service, and whom Tom praised as running service as well, if not better, than he'd seen anyone do it before--and he didn't even see how quickly Fabio put out a potential fire between Dale and the wait staff without offending anyone (and he was right--it would be far more efficient for Dale to go through Fabio if he had a problem with the wait staff, plus it set up a clear chain of command for the wait staff with Fabio as their boss and their go-between in terms of front of the house and kitchen).

I agree with what you posted, and the example you gave between Dale and Fabio highlighted even more why Marcel went home and not Tiffany. For someone to be able to put out that fire, both parties have to be willing to listen. Marcel wasn't going to listen to much that anyone had to say. I kind of feel bad for anyone who goes home during these team type challenges, it never really ever seems to be fully the fault of the person who goes home, but I think the judges made the right choice, and I'm not just saying that because Macel is a putz.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4155585;
    Tiffany's problems with service also likely were particularly noted, because she had to follow Fabio, who has tons of front of the house service, and whom Tom praised as running service as well, if not better, than he'd seen anyone do it before--and he didn't even see how quickly Fabio put out a potential fire between Dale and the wait staff without offending anyone (and he was right--it would be far more efficient for Dale to go through Fabio if he had a problem with the wait staff, plus it set up a clear chain of command for the wait staff with Fabio as their boss and their go-between in terms of front of the house and kitchen).
    That little exchange between Dale and Fabio epitomizes what I have loved about Fabio this season.

Like MFWalkoff I initially wasn't feeling the Fabio love this season. But what made him great the first time around was his humorous one-liners and the weird bromance he had going on with Stefan. These past few episodes I just see him as someone who just seems like a genuinely nice guy, and possibly even a good leader. His front of the house, for all he jokes about it, was not all about being "mayor fabio" and kissing everyone; he provided communication between front and kitchen, he checked to make sure people were enjoying their food (without lingering to schmooze), he directed the wait staff, he calmed people in the kitchen down without pissing them off, he sort of protected the wait staff (when Dale got angry), and he still managed to create a wonderful dish. If two people could have been awarded the win, he deserved the other one. I saw the same calmness last week when Richard was on him constantly while prepping - I think everyone else would have snapped, but Fabio sort of just took it (aside from his snarky remarks to the camera). I also noticed that although he went into the first ep with some lingering annoyance with Marcel, he had no altercations with him and consistently complimented his food.

I'll stop gushing now.

FORT Fogey

I think Fabio was brilliant in every aspect of this challenge. He did a great job in front of the house and pulled off a great dish. And it was really smart to do a dessert, because it gave him a little bit more time. It was also smart because it appeared as though little needed to actually be cooked on site, it just needed to be assembled, making it very easy for the others to help him out without truly affecting the flavors of the dish.

So glad Marcel is gone. Of all the competing chefs, he was the one I liked the least.
    Revenge is ice cream.

FORT Fogey

Good for the judges for axing Marcel. I often read complaints about this show keeping contestants for drama and I have continually defended the integrity of the judging. They know he is a better chef than some who remain but his performance deserved the boot.

Antonia being "The Hammer" is hysterical. The mind is a powerful thing so they better stop thinking this. If you are going to clutch on a dish you better guard against that if on her team! We are capable of talking ourselves into anything!

Dale's choice of making Marcel the other team captain was an excellent choice but not a surprise.

I don't think Fabio has experience being in the front of the house; just comes to him naturally. I love this guy. He handled Dale and Richard on the previous challenge brilliantly.

This is the first restaurant wars episode that I have enjoyed. We didn't see them at Pier I scrambling to find decor or doing anything more than setting tables. And this is as it should be, focus on food.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast