+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9/15 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 9/15 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

i highly doubt he got bonus points for being black . . . . he put up a better meal. end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;4062155;
    Not to take anything away from Kevin's win, when they make a big deal out of "this is the first (fill in the blank) to win the show" I have to wonder if that didn't lend the person a little weight in the judging.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;4062155;
    Not to take anything away from Kevin's win, when they make a big deal out of "this is the first (fill in the blank) to win the show" I have to wonder if that didn't lend the person a little weight in the judging.
    Didn't even notice it until he mentioned it. Actually I thought he was hispanic. But again what the diff, all I care about is the food.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

While I was rooting for Angelo, he really did need another day to fully recover or at least 80%, it was pretty obvious that it was Kevin, Angelo and Ed. The date bar did Ed in.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I just started watching Top Chef last year so forgive me for this question. Has there ever been a female winner???

I was pulling for Ed but am happy Kevin won as well!

Stephanie

Only Kevin himself mentioned being the first African American TC, and like another poster above I thought he was hispanic as well until I read his bio. He describes himself in the bio as the Obama of cooking, so it was a point that was important to him but I doubt the judges cared. If they did they could have kept Tiffany or Kenny who both appeared to be stronger than Kevin early on.

I liked how Kevin seemed to tone it down on the Angelo hate in the finale and was also far less grumpy at that juncture in the competition. I think he allowed his mind to settle into just cooking the meal of his life and pulled out an honest win. Ed seemed distracted by Angelo and by having Ilan as his sous chef as well. He really didn't seem to have much respect for the guy as a cook. In all fairness he probably is the worst contestant to ever pull out a win.

All in all not a bad season. Glad to have it in the books so we can move on to Top Chef All Stars.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

Ryan ~ Reid ~ Roberto ryanfan4vr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4062195;
    Didn't even notice it until he mentioned it. Actually I thought he was hispanic. But again what the diff, all I care about is the food.
    I was a little shocked too...not sure what I actually thought he was, but it wasn't black.

Am glad he won, mostly because it restored a little faith in the process. I definitely think he was the underdog going in, but was really happy to see that the judges judged the food that night and not their performance throughout.

However, I don't think it is right that they bring in other season winners. I know it's good for ratings, but I feel like it tampers with the integrity of the dishes and the fact that they are solely the contestants concept. For instance, I bet Kevin put a lot of stock into whatever suggestions that Michael proposed, and who knows if he changed his original concept when something was suggested. Like the poster above said, Ed drew the short straw, but I also feel like his dishes were solely his dishes.

I, like many others it seems, had no idea that Kevin was black. So, I doubt it played into his win. His dishes simply looked and tasted great.
    I was happy to see him win. I kind of figured he would.
    I must say all of these chefs, from time to time, seemed be shown in a less than flattering light. So, I was glad for a show that doesn't try to edit out their winner like so many of these reality shows do.
    Since this was my first experience with Top Chef, I'm glad it was a favorable one. I really enjoyed it a lot.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Any update about Top Chef: Just Desserts too? I wish we had a forum for it, don't see why we don't have one. Maybe I'll contact and admin and ask why.

I believe MFWalkoff did already answer that question upthread.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast