+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top Chef Masters 6/9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Top Chef Masters 6/9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Who will win the season and be named Top Chef Master? Susur, Rick, or Marcus?

Please keep all discussion in here until 2AM ET / 11PM PT.

Enjoy the finale!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Re: Top Chef Masters 6/9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

WOW, nobody seems to care who won. LOL.

So who did win? I think I'd be fine with any of those three winning.

Marcus won. It was really close. I think he had 17 1/2 stars and Susser and Rick both had 17 stars. They all got rave reviews for their final meal.

Marcus? LMAO....there are teeth gnashing across the internet over that one! He was not a favorite on many forums, neither was Susar. I am highly amused by this.

I liked all three of them enough to be happy with any of them winning. I think I liked Susar a tiny bit more than the other two but they are all great chefs and each had earned the win in their own ways.

Good season, can't wait for the next. I enjoy this show so much more than Top Chef.

I was rooting for Susur. Something about him is very intriging. And besides I liked his charity. Was a good finale, they all did well.
    Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

I had to wait to post, as I had to calm down. This is a ridiculous ending to a great show. They hated Marcus' last dish, and all his dishes looked ugly and very monochromatic. The British judge made such a ridiculous face when he gave him 5 stars, as if to show how sympathetic he was about the Ethiopians. I wish I could think of a pithier and more astute way to say that. It was all so unacceptable and objectionable on so many levels. I would like to pinpoint exactly what was wrong with the judges' behavior, but words just fail me. Their decision has rendered me nonplussed. Rick Bayless said he didn't like that dish, but immediately backpedaled with the rationalization that maybe it was because he didn't understand the culture. Someone else said something similar, praising Marcus for sticking to authentic (in other words, awful) cuisine rather than "compromising" by making something edible (I interpolated that last bit, but really, that was the unspoken dichotomy). Why couldn't they trust their palates? Btw, Susur also comes from a completely different culture (to the point he made a lot of social faux pas), and yet he was able to marry eastern and western cuisine in an appealing way. So why not applaud that skill?

It is as if they forgot what kind of competition they were judging and just wanted to show how PC and "culturally sensitive" they all are. Give me a break! Hypothetical: if an aborigine were on the show and asked you to eat a fat, juicy grub, which let's say you hated, then would you make a bunch of convoluted rationalizations to show how PC you are and then you award him first prize over the 5-star cuisine of true masters? It was a case of the emperor's new clothes. In falling all over themselves to look good to each other in their PC-ness, they tossed out all of their culinary -and cultural - standards. Their turnabout undermined the whole premise of the show.

Not to say Marcus isn't talented; he just wasn't the best one up there. Mastery comes with age, for one thing. Remember when Waxman said Marcus and Moonen were his apprentices, but he, Waxman, was learning from Susur? That tells you who the true master is, in case there was any doubt. Also, both Susur and Moonen put out beautiful plates - I'm guessing Moonen's had a lot of help from his executive chef. We were just in Vegas, and I regret not having time to go to RM Seafood. I hope when we go back in October they will still have the 33% off at the Tix4Tonight locations for RM Seafood, or at least the $25 Restaurant.com certificates. I was afraid all this fame would make the discounts go away before we could try it!

I was impressed by Susur throughout the season, such as his food processor speed knife skills, but he did seem to have stunted social skills. I wondered if he rubbed the judges or producers the wrong way and got "punished" with that third place rating, which he totally did not deserve.
    Last edited by Harvest; 06-13-2010 at 03:51 AM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I totally disagree that Marcus should have finished 3rd. He was an extremely strong competitor throughout the entire competition.

Well Deserved, Sir!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I would have liked to see Susar win, as I thought his dishes looked and sounded amazing. But I'm ok with Marcus winning. He really put himself out there and cooked from his heart and his culture (both of them). I don't think the judges thought that 'authentic' = 'awful' - they obviously weren't used to the style of cooking, but they didn't hate it. He defended his choices well and he really gave them the 'story' they were asking for with regards to the three dishes (first memory, what made you decide to become a chef, who you are now). Where Rick failed, frankly, is in the last dish. He bills himself as the "fish guy" and all about sustainability, but then when asked to give them a dish that shows them who he is NOW as a chef, he cooks meat brought in from halfway around the world. It's like he confused them at the end, rather than giving them a clear idea of who he is as a chef. The time to go out on a limb and try something like that was in a different challenge, IMO. His defence was also flippant, IMO. "I'm not a tree-hugger" I think was in response to the apparent tirade that Jay went on about the sustainability and fish issue. I guess Jay was really irritated by Rick's seemingly sudden switcheroo from what he is supposed to be passionate about. He writes about how ticked off he was in his Bravo blog.

For overall talent, I think Susar should have won hands down. I hated that they made it seem like he got "3rd place" when he and Rick actually tied for 2nd. They could have done that the opposite way, which leaves me wondering why they did it the way they did.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Very good points, sweetpea.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Rick's and Susur's food made my mouth water. Marcus' food didn't but to be fair, I had eaten at Aquavit once a lifetime ago and I wasn't blown away - I remember thinking at the time the food was bland. I'm certain Marcus himself didn't prepare the food, but I've never again looked at his food as flavorful.

+ Reply to Thread