+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Top Chef in the Media

Re: Top Chef in the Media

Paul was shown cooking in a booth at the Harbor Fest on the non-reality show, Royal Pains. He was chopping away and smiling. Quite cute, actually.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Here's an interesting (if random) bit of Top Chef-inspired election analysis:

Obama Did Better In States Where Lots of People Search for 'Top Chef'
    By Philip Cohen

Nov 10 2012, 9:36 AM ET 14

If you don't collect data on individual web users, and don't have a big-data budget, you can still learn a lot about how people voted in this presidential election from some creative probing of the Google Correlate database. The power of the tool is in uploading your own data (such as vote tallies) to see what searches mirror your target pattern.

For example, the map on the left is what I uploaded: the ratio of Obama votes to Romney votes in each state, as of Thursday morning. The map on the right, from Google, is the relative frequency of searches for "top chef." The two patterns have a correlation of .88 on a scale of 0 to 1.

Maybe it's a complete coincidence that Michelle Obama appeared on a Top Chef program earlier this year. But out of the 100 Google searches that most closely match that vote pattern, eight are about Top Chef. Others on the list include "spliff" (never heard of it), "mos def" and various reggae artists, as well as "itchiness."

On the other hand, searches for "founding fathers quotes" follow the Romney/Obama ratio just as closely:

Most of the searches on the top-100 Romney-state list (all correlated about the same .84) are about simple, non-obscene pleasures, such as "clean jokes," "clean funny jokes," "funny commercials"; and home-schooling materials, like "flag clipart," "in god we still trust," and "printable scrapbook." After the kids are in bed, though, someone is Googling "hot cheerleader," before quickly toggling back over to "sean hannity" when he hears mom coming up the stairs.
    Shoepie and Allie like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

Someone just came back from the Top Chef Cruise, and wrote about the expereince:

‘Top Chef’ The Cruise | Allie is Wired
    Arielflies likes this.

Another review of the Cruise, more detailed (and funnier), with photos:

I Packed My Knives & Went: Aboard the Top Chef Cruise - Eater Features - Eater National
    Shoepie likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Another review of the Cruise, more detailed (and funnier), with photos:

I Packed My Knives & Went: Aboard the Top Chef Cruise - Eater Features - Eater National
    Thanks.

I'm enjoying the all-day Top Chef marathons every Monday on Esquire Channel (formerly the Style Channel).

Today is season 6/Las Vegas -- currently running the Natalie Portman vegetarian episode.

FORT Newbie

Re: Top Chef - Last Chance Kitchen: New Orleans (BravoTV.com & On-Demand)

Talk is Stephanie may get some kind of TV gig, so she may have the last laugh and come out the real winner of TC NO.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by penne View Post
    Talk is Stephanie may get some kind of TV gig, so she may have the last laugh and come out the real winner of TC NO.
    Has anyone else received this kind of attention after being axed?

Top Chef's Stephanie Cmar On Immunity, Future Plans | 30 under 30 - Zagat

FORT Fogey

Fabio made a pretty strong career for himself after being axed. Carla Hall too.

I wish Bravo was doing a Fan Favorite this season. I'd vote for Stephanie, for her personality. I think the best chef is Shirley with Nina a very, very close second, but my favorite cheftestant to watch has been Stephanie with her very dry humor and deadpan delivery.

Has anyone else received this kind of attention after being axed?

Top Chef's Stephanie Cmar On Immunity, Future Plans | 30 under 30 - Zagat
    Other cheftestants have had TV gigs - obviously Carla, and also Marcel and Blais have had TV shows (on some g-dforsaken networks). Candice Kumai from Season 1 has been a judge on Iron Chef. Antonia from Season Chicago has been a judge on Cutthroat Kitchen (I promise you, it was the first and only episode of that horrific show I've ever watched). I just saw Edward Lee from Season Texas as a judge or mentor or whatever you call it on The Taste.

Fabio is all over media - TV, internet, etc.

So many of the cheftestants move on to other media/TV roles.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 01-18-2014 at 10:59 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast