+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Top Chef Finale Discussion Thread **spoilers**

Re: Top Chef Finale Discussion Thread **spoilers**

My thoughts on the finale:

Initially, I'd said I was happy with anyone winning but Hosea. But after watching the ep, I think Hosea deserved the win. I was also happy that it was an indirect win for Richard, since he had screwed up in his finale after such a strong showing all season. In addition, Hosea served one great course after another. 3 EC wins and 1 QF wins over the season - he's done a good job.

As soon as I saw Casey, I remarked, "That's not a fair balance of soux chefs." Marcel and Richard are classically trained and would make great soux chefs. Casey is not and would not. She's an ideas person and takes risks with flavor profiles, hence she couldn't just help Carla out - she had to open her big mouth. I was happy when Hung beat her during Season 3, and I'm pissed at her now.

That being said, I agree with those who said it's Carla's fault for listening - especially with the sous-vide-icide. The person who's all about soul food is going to do something fancy-shmancy for the finale?!

I still love Stefan, but he also legitimately lost this one... even his buddy Fabio had to concede it. It was heartwarming to see him comfort Carla. I was heartbroken watching her poor judgment; it must have been even harder for them to watch.

Carla has won the car; I still want Fabio for fan favorite.

One final note: it had been driving me nuts wondering how Jeff did that trick with the crumpled up pieces of paper on the floor in the stew room. Watching the reruns tonight, I saw his trick - someone (I think Jamie) was sipping a soda, and would put the can down on a piece of paper on the floor to indicate which one was touched. Very sneaky!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;3349026;
    One final note: it had been driving me nuts wondering how Jeff did that trick with the crumpled up pieces of paper on the floor in the stew room. Watching the reruns tonight, I saw his trick - someone (I think Jamie) was sipping a soda, and would put the can down on a piece of paper on the floor to indicate which one was touched. Very sneaky!!!!
    Good catch texasgal
    CYA

FORT Newbie

Meh, Hosea was so blah throughout the season.
    I was rooting for Carla and am sad that she didnt win but I think she'll be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;3348868;
    Technically it's all Carla's fault. You don't turn over so much power to anyone when you're cooking the most important meal of your life. Her head wasn't in that meal. The best meals she's cooked on this show was when she took her time and wasn't sweating it. She had a meal in mind, and should have went with it. IMO, CAsey rebuffed too many of Carla's ideas. It's not what she was there to do.Carla, however, gave up the power, and she will suffer with the consequences of doing so.
    As dumb as it sounds I feel betrayed by Carla for caving like that. I thought she was a joke in the beginning, because she let herself be pushed around by the other chefs, but gained respect for her in the non-team competitions. After doing a 180 on her like that, I'm just disgusted that she went back to the loser behavior she started the competition with. I'm also disappointed and mad at Casey for overstepping her sous chef bounds. She clearly is NOT a Top Chef, because she will always give way to the stronger personalities and never be in control of her kitchen.

I'm not thrilled with Hosea winning, because I think he consistently UNDER performed throughout the competition, but he did deliver the best meal in the finale.

I am thrilled that Stefan didn't win. His overconfidence was very annoying. WinkyD, Didn't Marcel tell us that he would NEVER freeze the fish like Stefan did, but likely never shared that tidbit with Stefan?

TVDude, As soon as I read your comment about Gail's dress, I knew without looking that only a man would say that. A woman would say that it takes more than big boobs to carry off a low cut dress. Unless of course she was going to be surrounded by only hound dogs men.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;3349054;
    As dumb as it sounds I feel betrayed by Carla for caving like that... I'm also disappointed and mad at Casey for overstepping her sous chef bounds...

I am thrilled that Stefan didn't win. His overconfidence was very annoying. WinkyD, Didn't Marcel tell us that he would NEVER freeze the fish like Stefan did, but likely never shared that tidbit with Stefan?
    It does seem likely that Marcel might not have told him, but if Marcel did tell him then Stephan's overconfidence in not listening was his downfall, just as Carla's underconfidence in her own decisions was her downfall. The sous chefs can say something, but the chefs have to know when to listen vs. when to stand firm.

I thought when they arrived at the finals, Hosea and Tom seemed to have been hanging out and become friends, and that plus Hosea's more flexible situation (it will probably be easier to draw on him to do appearances for the show, etc.) were strong factors in giving him the win.

I did not think it was fair to judge only on the last meal, when Stephan outperformed for most of the season. And I do think his "Finnishness" was misunderstood by viewers. He was obviously a caring person, as he showed with Carla, and his sense of humor just did not translate, as someone pointed out in a previous week's post. I think the comments about "no soul" were unfair; we Americans are just not able to "get" it. Stephan always struck me as more vulnerable than he seems to have been given credit for on this forum. But he and Carla are both grown ups, with their own businesses, so they will survive!

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3348929;
    Stefan just couldn't pull it out in the last few challenges. He's already saying "Eh, who cares" in his interviews. Typical.
    Self-sabotage or acting like you don't care are coping mechanisms meant to provide an excuse if you don't achieve your heart's desire. I got the impression he cared very deeply and was trying to protect himself if things didn't work out.
    Last edited by Harvest; 02-26-2009 at 03:05 AM.

FORT Regular

I was hoping Carla would win, but she should have stuck to her cooking.
    Hosea and Stefan didn't seem to act like she was a factor at all, even prior to cooking.

I like that they are gettiing more talented chefs each year. (As a group, not as in Hosea is better than Stephanie.) Was that a shorter finale than usual?

FORT Fogey

What a shame. Carla would have won this had she been faithful to her plan. I really think the judges were ready to hand it to her had she continued with her style that they loved and nailed it. Damn. I knew she was a goner when she agreed to sous vide that beef. My heart sank. And the soufle? Never attempt a soufle on this show, we already know this. sigh

Hosea will not go down in Top Chef history as one to remember though. Richard Blase and others who came in second will be remembered more strongly.

No point in watching this then. I wanted Carla to win, would have been fine with Stefan winning since he was consistently on top. But Hosea and his smug whiny overly obsessed with Stefan mug? Not interested in seeing him win.

Oh well.. onto the next season!

The finale sucked. Hosea's a real dbag! His bitterness towards and jealousy of Stefan the whole season was so annoying! Not to mention the cheating on his girlfriend on national television. He just disgusts me. I wish they would have considered performances all season long and not just the one meal. I usually love reunion shows but I don't think I'm going to be able to bear this one. Hosea's gloating will anger me too much.
    "You better shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!"

FORT Newbie

Everyone disliked Hosea because of Leah that is wrong. Think of the food he did in all the challenges. I kept pretty quiet about the whole Top Chef but as far as being bitter he was just wanting to beat Stephan because Stephan thought his S*** didn't stink. lol I really thought Hosea did fabulous in the finally and really liked him through the season. Yes the Leah thing was so dumb I said he blew it but seemed to keep pretty much his head on. Stephan didn't like Hosea at all it wasn't all Hosea lol. I am happy with the outcome OH and I loved he picked Richard because I was routing for him to win when he was on. He is a great chef also.
    Last edited by ladylisa; 02-26-2009 at 07:54 AM. Reason: forgot to add

+ Reply to Thread