+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Top Chef 2/18 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

Re: Top Chef 2/18 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

Oh- returning to Gail--is she back for good? I figured she left in the first place because she was getting hitched and figured she would take time off if not leave the show completely. Then they got the new judge and it was very clear that Tom did NOT like him. I do not know about everyone else, but my husband and I found him annoying and thought he was trying to hard.. I wonder if viewers responded negatively, Tom disliked him, and he got the boot? They go back to Gail, offer more money, and get her back ASAP...

anyone know?

No, Toby will be back next week for the finale with Gail (like Ted Allen did in previous seasons).

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3340655;
    Oh- returning to Gail--is she back for good? I figured she left in the first place because she was getting hitched and figured she would take time off if not leave the show completely. Then they got the new judge and it was very clear that Tom did NOT like him. I do not know about everyone else, but my husband and I found him annoying and thought he was trying to hard.. I wonder if viewers responded negatively, Tom disliked him, and he got the boot? They go back to Gail, offer more money, and get her back ASAP...

anyone know?
    trying too hard.. ERRRR I hate that error

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by kultainen;3339063;
    I would never excuse someone because of their nationality. I don't discriminate that way. I was pointing out that culturally we see behavior thru our own lens, and it may appear different than intended. I lived in his culture for some time, and it was hard for me and believe me they had trouble with my american overuse of love and hate as an example. I am a plain speaker myself, but I found myself a virtual waffler compared to Scandinavians.

But it seems to me we are not speaking about the same thing. I was commenting on his language, word choice, frank answers which were less than diplomatic. You appear to be commenting on his behavior. I don't see that behavior. In fact, I have seen him be more helpful to others, more consoling after elimination to others than, say, Hosea, whose whole existence seems to be set around "not Stefan".

I guess that's why it is called Reality TV, as we see what is real to each of us.
    I agree. My cousin has had business dealings with the Nordic countries and he confirms that this manner is typical. It comes across as strident but it is their way. The Dutch and Germans can exibit this, as well.

Having said that, I do think that his behavior, especially toward Jamie and in a team effort, is less than agreeable. When his team wanted to change a dish on their menu he was sharp and not willing to listen to their logic. He said, the menu is set, that is it, I am not going to change. There is a little of both at play with Stephan.

I hate fake drama, and that's what we have been getting with Stefan faltering a bit in the last couple of challenges (and Tom's look during the last elimination. Pure editing). I would love for Carla to win, but getting the car is her prize, I think. And I love her new haircut. I love natural hair, but her was too long for her face and made her look like Sideshow Bob's wife.

I never thought I would find anyone more annoying than Hung, but Stefan takes it by a mile. And Hung never played those stupid games with people. He was just too secure about his own superiority, which I prefer to Stefan's little mind games. What I love about this show and Project Runway is that it is ultimately about the talent. Oh well, on to Stefan's coronation, unless he completely self-implodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;3337826;
    I don't dislike Stefan, but excusing his rude and arrogant behaviour because of his nationality goes a little too far. The way he puts down other contestants and their food needlessly to try to make himself look better is not just "plain speaking". I know "plain speakers", I am a "plain speaker" and Stefan is more than just a plain speaker, although I actually don't dislike him for it, he's a bit of an arrogant jerk
    Agree. Well put.

I've got a gorgeous hubby simplechef's Avatar

Stefan has significantly faultered during the past two challenges. He also faultered during the superbowl challenge. Stefan is overconfident in his abilities and unwilling to acknowledge when he makes a mistake. The rue is a perfect example. He implied that all rue's are different, but obviously that is not so, because even the guests at the event were commenting on it not being the right color. If Stefan wins, it will be because he admits his "robotness" and talk about his food with passion. That's what happened with Hung.. he gave that insight and ta-daa he was TopChef. Tom talked this last week about Stefan's lack of heart in his food and Stefan didn't give any passion back. The passion for the food is one of the things that has exemplified the top chef in seasons past (with the exeption of Elan, which was a fluke in my opinion-- Sam should have been Top Chef).... So I think Carla does have a chance to win the whole thing because of how she puts herself into her food... as long as she doesn't OVER simplify, she's got a shot at it.. I don't think Hosea has a chance.. he hasn't been edited all that favorably and I just can't see his "character" being the winner after all is said and done.

In the preview it shows Carla chopping up a giant alligator. Looks like she is sticking to the Cajun cuisine, which seems a good choice for her. I'm betting she'll do really well in the finale, but I hope all of them do.

Quote Originally Posted by simplechef;3342918;
    Stefan has significantly faultered during the past two challenges. He also faultered during the superbowl challenge. Stefan is overconfident in his abilities and unwilling to acknowledge when he makes a mistake. The rue is a perfect example. He implied that all rue's are different, but obviously that is not so, because even the guests at the event were commenting on it not being the right color. If Stefan wins, it will be because he admits his "robotness" and talk about his food with passion. That's what happened with Hung.. he gave that insight and ta-daa he was TopChef. Tom talked this last week about Stefan's lack of heart in his food and Stefan didn't give any passion back. The passion for the food is one of the things that has exemplified the top chef in seasons past (with the exeption of Elan, which was a fluke in my opinion-- Sam should have been Top Chef).... So I think Carla does have a chance to win the whole thing because of how she puts herself into her food... as long as she doesn't OVER simplify, she's got a shot at it.. I don't think Hosea has a chance.. he hasn't been edited all that favorably and I just can't see his "character" being the winner after all is said and done.
    YEP.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011