+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ariane - Top Chef: New York

Re: Ariane - Top Chef: New York

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3247087;
    Another reason I like Ariane....when she did her cooking segment on Today, Kathie Lee, being the same camera hog she's always been, started to go on about Richard's meal and how she spit it out because it was putrid. She offered phony apologies to Ariane, but Ariane cut her off by saying "No, Richard is o.k. with it". She said it a couple of times and in a way that was protective of Richard.

It was like Kathie Lee wanted to stir the pot but Ariane was above it all.
    I didn't watch it, but Richard? Why were they talking about Richard?

Anyways, Ariane is becoming more likable now that she doesn't have a loser's complex about the competition. She definitely had the right idea about the last challenge and she might make it far if she stays on this track.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkOtterPop;3247160;
    I didn't watch it, but Richard? Why were they talking about Richard?
    dur. I meant Jeff.

Ariane's is probably the most bizarre underdog story in recent memory. Two wins? Really? Not saying she didn't deserve them per se, but...

She's kind of like Betty without the mouth, in some ways...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkOtterPop;3249902;
    Ariane's is probably the most bizarre underdog story in recent memory. Two wins? Really? Not saying she didn't deserve them per se, but...
    I think they painted the picture of underdog in the first two episodes but she has clearly emerged as a front runner. I expect to see her make it far.

Her maturity and experience will serve her well. It is contestants like Gene who will probably tank because of their desperation to create something innovative and fail as we saw this week.

Dancing along the border of turbulence and order

In the beginning I was embarrassed with how she cooked since I'm from Jersey. I think she has totally redeemed herself. Maybe she was nervous, but I think she's really done a great job. I might actually eat at her restaurant once the show is over.

I know I posted this somewhere else, but I went to the restaurant's website and she had two bad reviews posted there. That doesn't seem like a very bad business decision.
    Go to www.freerice.com to improve your vocabulary and feed the world!

FORT Fogey

I was stunned that Martha chose her for the QF win. I like Ariane, a lot. She is solid, knows how to make good food and, as she says, simple food is good food. I agree. She has the basics knocked out of the park. When the challenge was for a one pot meal I was sure Hoesa was the winner because Adrines was NOT a one pot meal. But Martha was so blown away by the cauliflower that it trumped the focus. ??? Now I have made this dish 50 times it is a regular thing for me. I use cream. What the hell else did she put in that to overide the rules?! I am off to see if it is on the website.

Okay I just looked. This makes me very curious. Her cauliflower differs very little from the one I make. So this is a winner? That is really odd. It is such a simple dish and very current. Mashed cauliflower is on Ruby Tuesday's menu, for cryin out loud. Granted Ruby's does not use cream but I do. It stuns me that Martha has not made this or found hers to be so much above the norm as to win. ???? Really, shocking.
    Last edited by shoepie; 12-18-2008 at 05:18 PM.

I was more stunned that Ariane made a deviled egg for an elimination challenge. What's next week? Green bean casserole?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkOtterPop;3254507;
    I was more stunned that Ariane made a deviled egg for an elimination challenge. What's next week? Green bean casserole?
    LOL! Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkOtterPop;3254507;
    I think we were meant to see this juxtaposed with her "keep it simple" statement (which face it, she might not have even given "the day before", the way the editing implies she did). It was supposed to come off as ironic that she concluded that keeping it simple was propelling her to the top, whereas the judges weren't seeing that as a good plan for long term success on the show.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread