+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 7/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Splitting my time between Washington and Los Angeles

Re: 7/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Misaru;2484170;
    Seems like I'm in the minority, but I really think Sarah N should have gone home. To me, Lia's not-so-flavourful dish is so much better than Sarah's guacamole with chips.

They had 1.5 hours and all Sarah made is guacamole with roasted corn with store-bought chips?!? It was totally chips and dip. Nothing special about it. Maybe it says that Lia's dish was that bad too, but I thought her dish at least required much more effort and thought than Sarah's dish.
    I think it was a combination of things that hurt Lia and caused her to be eliminated. They didn't like her dish and they didn't think it was all that Latin, whereas Sara's was EXTREMELY simple, but they seemed to not mind the flavors that much and think it was Latin enough at least. Also, Lia had been in the bottom before and (if I recall correctly - and I may be wrong) Sara has not been in the bottom four yet.

Also, the judges seem to be more forgiving if someone admits problems in their dish. Sara admitted that it wasn't much of a ceviche and that the flavors may have masked the scallops somewhat. Lia, on the other hand, defended all components of her dish.

I think all those factors caused Lia to go home and Sara to stay, although I wish Sara would have gotten more criticism for doing something so simple.

Snoozin' on the beach

Quote Originally Posted by Misaru;2484170;
    Seems like I'm in the minority, but I really think Sarah N should have gone home. To me, Lia's not-so-flavourful dish is so much better than Sarah's guacamole with chips.

They had 1.5 hours and all Sarah made is guacamole with roasted corn with store-bought chips?!? It was totally chips and dip. Nothing special about it. Maybe it says that Lia's dish was that bad too, but I thought her dish at least required much more effort and thought than Sarah's dish.
    I don't think it was based solely on that dish but everything else up to that point as well as that dish. if Sara's dish was nothing special (and i agree with that) it was the same "nothing special" that Lia put out in the comfort food challenge with her "frank's and Beans". Lia had 2 hours for that challenge and all she did with that was to cook beans- and they were undercooked to boot and she thought she could win with that dish? There seems to be more negatives overall for Lia than for Sara. Sara doesn't impress me but she's been in slightly better shape than Lia has so far in the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Shady64;2484244;
    I don't think it was based solely on that dish but everything else up to that point as well as that dish. if Sara's dish was nothing special (and i agree with that) it was the same "nothing special" that Lia put out in the comfort food challenge with her "frank's and Beans". Lia had 2 hours for that challenge and all she did with that was to cook beans- and they were undercooked to boot and she thought she could win with that dish? There seems to be more negatives overall for Lia than for Sara. Sara doesn't impress me but she's been in slightly better shape than Lia has so far in the competition.
    That's true. I forgot about that dish. It really was nothing special and didn't take that long to make it, just like Sarah's dish in the last episode. I had such high expectation for Lia though. I still think overall, Lia has much more creativity than Sarah ever can squeeze out of her brains. But I do see that Lia did fail in several occasions before.

I hope it wasn't her attitude that got her kicked out of the show. I did think that she could have been more acceptance of her shortcomings too. But I also liked Lia's assertiveness. She held her ground but was not as arrogant as Steven from S1, Marcel from S2, or Hung (well, their cases are a bit extream). If it was the alleged attitude, I completely disagree with the judges.

I'll miss her!!!

FORT Fanatic

Lia's dish was the worst of the bunch. After the first bite, it essentially went uneaten by the Telemondo group. One of the judges implied that even if Lia's dish did follow the Latin theme it would have been in the bottom of the rankings. It was that bad.

Snoozin' on the beach

Quote Originally Posted by Misaru;2484263;
    That's true. I forgot about that dish. It really was nothing special and didn't take that long to make it, just like Sarah's dish in the last episode.
    The same thing that happened to Miccah when Lia's dish was nothing special, happened to Lia when Sara's dish was nothing special.

Tom said something in a recent episode, something like "we can forgive alot of things if the flavor is there". They want to know what went wrong and why. Is it a good idea that went south like CJ's tuna cassarole? Was it time that screwed it up? Other factors? There will always be outside factors you have to deal with when presenting a not so good meal but when you can't give a reason for it to not be good-it does not bode well. I think that's what saved Howie that first challenge when he didn't have time to get the frog's legs on the plate. The sea urchin was really good even without a complete meal. Bayou guy went home (can't remember his name)-he put out his whole meal and it was horrible.

I think the top 2 should open a restaurant or have a TV show called "Two Fat Guys."

They certainly get along well and appreciate each other's cooking.

Lia, Sarah, and the woman eliminated a week before. I have no idea who these people are. I don't remember how they look like. It looks like I could stop watching now and resume it when they are in final 6 or something...

Quote Originally Posted by artfullady;2481289;
    I have not picked a favorite yet, but I think Howie should have some kind of bandana or something around his head. Everytime I see his sweat falling into the food he is preparing I want to throw up! So gross!
    Same here. I told my husband about how much Howie sweats. He didn't fully understand it until he saw for himself. I wonder what Howie's restaurant customers think about it.

I personally loved the frozen pie crust challenge. I immediately thought of crumbling it up and doing a peach or apple cobbler. But alot of the chefs seemed to totally ignore it and focused more on the other foods.

Snoozin' on the beach

Quote Originally Posted by Animal;2484908;
    Same here. I told my husband about how much Howie sweats. He didn't fully understand it until he saw for himself. I wonder what Howie's restaurant customers think about it.
    It is gross. You just know there is no way Howie is unaware of how much he sweats when cooking. He should be wearing a bandana. I find it curious that Bravo has shown quite a few shots of Howie sweating profusely over a pot of food. It reminds me of that scene in "Broadcast News" where Albert Brooks is anchoring the news for the first time and is so nervous, he is sweating buckets and blows sweat from his lips while on the air

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Misaru;2481577;
    I am completely baffled by the judges' decision to send Lia home while keeping Sarah N.

How could that guacamole beat Lia's dish?!?!?!?!?

I mean, maybe Lia's dish tasted that bland, but c'mon, Sarah's dish wasn't even a dish. It wasn't a meal. It was a dip. How? How could the judges send Lia home????? What do they see in Sarah? To me Lia is clearly far better chef than Sarah. So disappointed.

I was outraged at them sending Lia home. She is waaaay better than
    most of the others.

Dang!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456