+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 7/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Snoozin' on the beach

Re: 7/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Lia was the right one to send home this episode. She's had more problems (throughout the whole competition) that had to do with her cooking skills than actual mistakes than the others -though Casey just barely eeked by her on that score. She's had too many dished that were bland or didn't marry ingredients and flavors etc. I think the bigger sin for this challenge was that time was not a problem for her when making her meal and she still put out a dish that was worse than anyone elses. Added to all the other problems the judges have had with her past performance and she was the worst of the 4 in the bottom.
    Last edited by Shady64; 07-19-2007 at 11:52 AM.

Okay, I see that Lia hasn't been as strong as my impression of her has been. But for some reason, I thought (still think to some extent) that both Lia and Casey are very competent chefs. They both had failures but also success too.

Sarah, on the other hand, has never impressed me. She has one win, but it seemed accidental. Her dishes lack any trace of creativity. I don't see how Sarah's guacamole was better than Lia's dish last night.

It's getting interesting, that's for sure. Predictions...look for Casey to stay the course, the two Saras are skating on thin ice, Dale, Brian and CJ are interchangeable, but one of them will be there towards the end and Joey and Howie will run off and exchange vows
    What about Hung & Tre? Maybe Tre trips Hung as he runs around with a butcher knife, and then Hung falls on it?

And CJ can't be interchangeable with anyone. There's no mistaking him.

FORT Fan

Hung sure loves himself, doesn't he? It's painful to watch that he can't take any kind of criticism.
    I don't have a favorite yet, but I do predict a Howie/Joey final two.
    One thing that I wish is that they would quit letting the contestants do mulitple dishes. If one bombs, they at least have two other chances to get it right. I think during the quickfire, they should only be allowed to do one dish and one dish only.

FORT Fogey

I think there will be one week where Howie's time management problems will finally catch up to him and he ends up going home.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2481446;
    I think that reflects a reality of the industry. I read an article a few months ago (which featured an old classmate of mine) about the challenges that women have in the cullinary industry. It is one of the toughest fields for women to break the glass ceiling. A lot of that is blamed on bias and prejudice in the industry. Some of it is blamed on the challenges that the typical size of a woman can bring in the kitchen -- when you've got to lug around a side of beef or a huge bag of vegetables, a petite woman can physically have trouble getting the job done. So the lack of respect for women in a professional kitchen can be, unfortanately, quite prevelant.
    Interesting... I remember a Tom Colicchio blog post after Season 1, when he mentioned that he thought a lot of the vitreolic criticism directed at Tiff stemmed from her being a woman. He seemed to feel that the audience wasn't comfortable seeing a woman assert power, demonstrate ambition, and give directions to men. Personally, I love powerful women; I didn't like her at the time b/c I thought she was obnoxious. (I do like her a bit more now, after seeing her in the All-Stars.)

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2481437;
    During this ep Joey said that since their big blow up he and Howie have become friends. Neither has the temperament to fake this. Their personalities seem similar enough and so different from the others that it would make sense for them to form a bond.
    I loved these guys on this episode! They were so cute. I haven't really liked them thus far, but it was so funny to me how Howie kept eating Joey's dish and talking about how great it was. Plus they weren't trying to one-up each other at the judge's table; both were really humble. It was really nice to see... this is kind of a rarity on this show.

I'm a little disappointed in Hung, who was one of my favorites on the first episode. Hopefully now that he's been brought down a peg, he'll step it up and produce some better results (and learn to take criticisim without sounding like an arrogant a$$).

This season is very unpredictable. Someone in the top one week is in the bottom the next. I still really like Tre the most. I'm not crazy about any of the women remaining. BTW - who has not been in the bottom three/four yet?

Snoozin' on the beach

To bad Hung isn't near as good as he thinks he is. I thought he'd be good after that first episode but he has gone downhill ever since. he lacks a certain creativity among other things. He was the only one to take this challenge so literally and make a pie. And how creative is it to make a chocolate mousse, peanut butter and nut pie? It looked really crappy running all over and very unappetizing. He did the same with his latin dish-picking a "classic" latin dish. Where was the creativity in that or even in changing anything of that recipe to make it stand out from the original recipe? For both the quickfire and elimination challenge, Hung, as he's fond of saying, did something his pet monkey could do-and he didn't do a very good job of it either as it landed him in the bottom both times.

He will never learn from his mistakes because he doesn't believe he's making mistakes despite everything to the contrary.

Hung reminds me of a 6-year-old kid in my neighborhood. He's very good at a lot of things. Things come very easy for him, especially for his age. People give praises to him all day long. When someone rightfully gives him critique, he decides that they're wrong, it was someone/thing else's fault, or the person doesn't exist. He keeps hanging out with those who admire him, but never with ones whose views crush with his.

I think Hung is talented in some ways. But his personal growth is in serious need of attention.

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;2481913;
    BTW - who has not been in the bottom three/four yet?
    I think everyone has at this point.

I don't believe Casey, CJ or one of the Sara's have been in the top 2/3. One of the Sara's was in the top 2/3 for the bar-b-que. Can't remember which one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast