+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ilan Hall - Season 2

Moi
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith;2216426;
    Maybe he was fired because of his behavior on last week's episode or for his juvenile homophobic insult against Marcel that was quoted in NY Mag. Casa Mono isn't some hole in the wall. It's owned by Mario Batali. He has a reputation to protect.
    Well, they said he quit.....as I said, I don't know what it means....I'm just paraphrasing gawker....(I didn't even see last week's episode -- I think this show has gotten so far away from actually cooking and food skills, it's pretty useless) I just wanted to post what is out there....
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Serial killer killer Winston Smith's Avatar
    Forgot to mention Newsday published an article yesterday that said he still worked at Casa Mono. The article -- a puff piece really -- mentioned that his mother is a Newsday employee.

Ilan was someone I liked earlier in the season, but his culinary inconsistency as well as his escalating nastiness toward Marcel completely soured me on him. The turning point for me was when he trashed Marcel's dish at the Debi Mazar dinner. That was simply unsportsmanlike, foul and spoke volumes about his character.

And it was all downhill from there. He has potential as a chef. He was nowhere near as consistent as Sam, and hasn't been as innovative as Marcel. And I didn't think the mere fact that he used taro in the Hawaiian challenge should've pushed him over the top. That, of course, said without having tasted any of the dishes. I still think Sam should've taken a spot in the final two.

And as a person, well... Color me disappointed.

Top Cook Ilan Hall and his mother, who works for Newsday, respond to the viewer backlash over his dubious TC victory...

Ilan's Newsday article

Ilan's mother's Newsday article

FORT Fanatic
    Continuing to bash Marcel is not going to quell the "backlash".

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo1;2238398;
    Continuing to bash Marcel is not going to quell the "backlash".
    Actually it was more of an explanation of how we don't see the entire picture and how they mold and manipulate what they want us to perceive.

For every single contestant to dislike Marcel the way they did spoke volumns of what must have happened off camera.

You have to admit, Marcel vitually milked the victom angle and as much as stated that he was in it to win and NOT make friends. He may not be very smart but he was the king of maniulation. All you have to do is go back and look at the tapes.

He went after Betty right off the bat and we never saw why she felt the way she did about him.

He purposely annoyed whoevery he thought was both a threat to him (as a contestant) and could easily be irritated by him. He knew pretty much what he could do to anger anyone and make it subtle enough to make him look innocent. Case in point Frank's sundries. He could have put them in the bathroom or on Frank's bed but he chose to put them on the floor. His hogging of the stove in the men's dorm to keep Ilan from fixing his food was signiture move; Something like Mr Bean having a contest with an unaware adversary.

He never admitted to any wrongdoing and was very quick to blame others for his own shortcomings. Yes he helped sometimes but that too was a manipulation. His favorite saying was "I halped you, why can't you help me?"

He never did anything without expecting some payback.

I feel we only saw the very tip of the iceberg of Marcel's behavior and I truly believe he made every attempt to work the cameras to his favor.

[QUOTE=madeboxer;2238514;]Actually it was more of an explanation of how we don't see the entire picture and how they mold and manipulate what they want us to perceive.

For every single contestant to dislike Marcel the way they did spoke volumns of what must have happened off camera.

You have to admit, Marcel vitually milked the victom angle and as much as stated that he was in it to win and NOT make friends. His hogging of the stove in the men's dorm to keep Ilan from fixing his food was signiture move; Something like Mr Bean having a contest with an unaware adversary./QUOTE]

Here is where I disagree with you. I don't believe he did hog the stove. I think Ilan was being petty and impatient. He couldn't wait one minute more? I think Ilan was the one that came out as the worse person in that instance. I know others won't agree, but it is my viewpoint. I don't believe Marcel did anything to instigate anything in that instance, other than Ilan's general dislike of Marcel--which if I remember correctly started almost immediately.

FORT Fogey
    Illan was the one who hogged the stove in one of the challenges where he had all 10 burners on at once, knowing Marcel was up after him. Please. Marcel got under their skin a little and they went bonkers not knowing how to handle it. I think it's funny that the people even top chef awardee were the most insecure about the talent and should not be in the competitition (Frank, Betty, Illan).

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;2238636;
    Here is where I disagree with you. I don't believe he did hog the stove. I think Ilan was being petty and impatient. He couldn't wait one minute more? I think Ilan was the one that came out as the worse person in that instance.
    The editors were Ilan's friend in this instance because they left people with the impression that Marcel was hogging the stove. But in reality Ilan was able to cook his breakfast using another frying and another burner. You can see this in the bonus footage at the Bravo site. Basically, Ilan picked a fight with Marcel for no reason.

FORT Fanatic
    madeboxer,

[mod edit] The stove in the dorms incident was another case of Ilan making an a-hole of himself. My tape of the incident clearly shows that Marcel was using the front left burner and that the right front burner was unused which Ilan ended up using anyways--a lot of hot air from Ilan as usual. As far as the cameras were concerned, did Marcel pay the Magical Elves to show him in a favorable light similar to Ilan's accusation that Marcel paid a hacker to fix the popularity polls? With regards to Frank's toiletries, why didn't Frank get up off his drunken ass and remove them from the kitchen counter himself? [mod edit]
    Last edited by Mariner; 02-13-2007 at 03:21 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast