+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Andrea - Season 1

I'm really happy that she's back, she was great. And, she's made a pretty strong comeback. On last episode's winning team, and this week's top three. Good for her!

FORT Fan
    Actually went to Andrea's web site. I ordered her books. I have actually been reading them tonight instead of watching the show.(I don't even bother to tape it. I'll just catch one of the millions of reruns!) The books are good. Pretty easy reads and actually quite humerous! Can't wait to try some of the recipes. They sound good ( and fairly straight forward and easy,too). I easily get "recipe block". If it goes past a certain number of ingredients I "can" it.

She has books? I was just coming here to say "Andrea, you should write a book!"

Not a cookbook either necessarily but something educating people about healthy foods and how to put together a tasty healthy meal. Often the 'tasty' part is missing in vegetarian fare or healthy dining. I know cos I had to eat that way for a while... really I still do. It's hard to find things that are really good.

Putting different types of fruits/veggies together to make flavors pop is a start. A lot of places, without butter or salt, don't know what to do. Healthy eating - nothing wrong with it... once again, current culinary thinking could use a kick up the backside. I've had tasty vegan meals before, and it IS possible.

Andrea has cooked fish and sausage so I doubt she's vegan. Or at least, doesn't insist on cooking so. ALSO I think she should open a restaurant. Come on out here to the San Fernando Valley, Andrea. People here would - pun intended - eat that up!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    She has books? I was just coming here to say "Andrea, you should write a book!"

Not a cookbook either necessarily but something educating people about healthy foods and how to put together a tasty healthy meal. Often the 'tasty' part is missing in vegetarian fare or healthy dining. I know cos I had to eat that way for a while... really I still do. It's hard to find things that are really good.

Putting different types of fruits/veggies together to make flavors pop is a start. A lot of places, without butter or salt, don't know what to do. Healthy eating - nothing wrong with it... once again, current culinary thinking could use a kick up the backside. I've had tasty vegan meals before, and it IS possible.

Andrea has cooked fish and sausage so I doubt she's vegan. Or at least, doesn't insist on cooking so. ALSO I think she should open a restaurant. Come on out here to the San Fernando Valley, Andrea. People here would - pun intended - eat that up!
    Sooo true, Brandy. The three big flavor crutches are salt, sugar, and fat. They are easy, they taste good, and some people are content with that being the range of their flavor (i.e. Miguel obviously has a problem on the salt part.) But I can't tell you how many times I've had horrendous "healthy" food. Some times a hit of (organic) butter makes all the difference.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

As much as I love healthy and freshly prepared food (it's what I try to cook at home, leaving the decadent splurges for eating out), I don't think I could ever read a book of Andrea's or eat anything prepared by her without thinking of fecal matter, after all her talk of bowel movements on the show.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Lol SnowflakeGirl... she really does need to (no pun, sorry, gag Lol) can it on the poo talk - can we not all figure that out? Who hasn't heard of roughage and fiber ever since Bran cereal hit the market for pity sake. And that was what, in the 1970s?

So - we know, Andrea. We know.

I'm guessing she once had problems in that way. Well she's said she was/is hypothyroid, which means her metabolism is wayyy slow. ANYway.

corprip said:
    But I can't tell you how many times I've had horrendous "healthy" food. Some times a hit of (organic) butter makes all the difference.
    So true! Making super-healthy food taste great without sugar, salt or butter is difficult. I think it's why most chefs and cooks do not attempt it. I love butter, myself, but we use just one brand. Anything else and I feel kind of queasy. I'm getting 'old', I guess.

Still the best food I EVER had was at a Whole Life Expo out here in L.A. about 15 yrs ago probably. A food booth there - the people said they were planning to open a restaurant and I assumed I'd hear about it since I was a vegetarian then, and kept up on all that type of news.

I never heard about them again but man I wish I'd kept their info - to encourage them if nothing else. They somehow put all types of healthy food together and the combination of flavors was perfect. And I felt GREAT after I ate at their booth too, and I was already pretty healthy back then. And I'm not talking in that Andrea way either... but like I could bounce up to the moon.

Barring that, though... I'll take some butter on my food and I even love salt and sugar. I just pine for something more.

I've eaten at Real Food Daily and some of their stuff is good (I love that agar based dessert) but they tend to either bland out or overdo it on the strong flavors like fennel. I made such a face one time the busboys cracked up.

FORT Fan
    As I mentioned, I really like her books. She is really in to the organic and she is not a vegitarian. I was surprised. She doesn't go off on a long "constipation/fiber" rant, either. I have a feeling that she may have made a few comments and they edited the show to make it seem like she was obsessed. (They wouldn't do that on a reality show would they ? ! ) Her web site is www.andreabeaman.com. Her books are "The Whole Truth" and "The Whole Truth Eating and Recipe Guide".

FORT Newbie
    Andrea suffered from one MAJOR flow throughout the show, and it is something the producers should have corrected from the outset. The show is Top Chef, not Top Organic Healthy Chef. Too much is made about maintaining one's identity and integrity. That's all fine and good, but not in the midst of a competition such as this.

Having ssid this, Andrea deserves a lot of credit, especially after the episode with Miguel. I believe, through no fault of his own, his coarseness did him in. Andrea pegged it, he really wanted to shine, but did Tom have to point out his problems with diction. This speaks to Andrea's class, she never stooped to that level

david (and everyone): True, she was a very fair competitor. Although to be fair, she did say she doesn't like competition at all (I feel much the same way. To each their own to shine).

She also could've tried to sell-out Miguel in front of the judges about not letting her cook her own dish (that time they had to cook each other's planned dishes). She only made the latkes, but I think they were cold in part because she was waiting to time the dish to when Miguel could do his part. She should've just cooked it, Tiffani was right about that. You can't stand around and wait until someone can join in, just cos they feel protective about their dish. Andrea always took the high road but unfortunately that does not always win a competition for you. Sometimes you have to be assertive and a little self preserving. Even if that means technically climbing atop (treading over) one of the other contestants. Andrea almost went too far the other way once or twice, (accomodating others when it wasn't strictly necessary), but it was good to see someone thinking about the high road.

Harold also made a judgment error, in the dish-switch episode: thinking Stephen was a team player "Let's open a restaurant together Stephen", and would help him with the dessert like Harold had virtually made the soup FOR Stephen. Stephen left him high and dry to go lecture about wine, of course; and did not tell the judges Harold made the soup.

Harold was left to deal with Stephen's odd ingredients without any clues from the guy who wrote it up. I chalk that bad judgment call up to Harold's infatuation with PeeWee and his necktie for whatever strange reason. Some people are fooled by poses.

Andrea - in her case I think she was never there to 'win' from the start, but to espouse her healthy eating philosophy/agenda (depends how one sees it) to as many people as possible. She should have never mentioned BMs to anyone about to eat her food though... (maybe to the judges; NOT to any clients). Yuck. The show likely did edit to make the most of that but she gave them the ammunition, too.
    Last edited by Brandy; 04-29-2006 at 05:43 PM.

FORT Fogey
    What makes me crazy about her is that her focus is on healthy food. Well, you say, what is the matter with that? You think Le Anne does not make healthy food? Good chefs make healthy food.

One can easily eat fruit for breakfast, high water content clean food for lunch and indulge in a dinner made from high quality ingredients for dinner if you are trying to lose weight. If that is not your issue what in the chefs recipes on the web site can be faulted for not being healthy?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast