+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 2/5 Finale Show Discussion

FORT Fogey

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 2/5 Finale Show Discussion

The chef should care about the diners, as should the servers. That said, when a chef is the leader of the restaurant, he's only as good as the people around him. This is a little more limited in a Top Chef environment where the chef is not hiring the servers. But Nick's tone in every interaction shown with the servers was rude and condescending. He had more skin in the game than anyone else - he won the momey, they just got to be on TV. But when he met with them to explain the menu he talked down to them. When he did the tasting, he got very pissy that some of them were not there, and played the tough guy replacing them on the spot. Yes, he has to make tough decisions to make things work for the service. But the tone he sets is critical. He could have done the same thing with a different tone that didn't send a message to the servers that he was superior to them. If he had, he would have built a team who all had a vested interest in seeing him win. If they cared about presenting him at his very best, then some of the errors during service may not have happened. In general, I don't think most people work at their best if they are in fear of the man in charge throwing a temper tantrum at any moment.
    ClosetRTWatcher and sparklete like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rfromp View Post
    Definitely Nick should've gone home but I liked that he stuck to his guns. The judges need to play by the rules too. It wasn't an easy decision to send Stephanie packing and I think the judges were looking to cop out of the decision but immunity is a double-edged sword, in this case for the judges.
    Not always. There have been seasons when the judges decided to not send anyone home & have a double elimitation the following week.
    Florimel and rfromp like this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by AWfielder View Post
    Not trying to get too political, look at the fascinating race for the Democratic nomination in 2008. Hillary was labeled inevitable, the front runner long before that endless primary season got under way with its backbiting debates every other week. Obama had the benefit of being the new guy and could build momentum. Four years later, Mitt slammed Obama in the first debate because he was the new guy versus the establishment. Like any good drama, Nina needed a character arc to turn her incredible cooking, respect for others, and cool head in the kitchen into a cliffhanger. Since we weren't flown to Maui to do any tasting, the folks at Bravo and us loyally following via DVR can never forget that TOP CHEF is first and foremost, a television show.
    This is good (and humorous) point. Maybe the politicians in 2016 should hire some Hollywood writers as consultants to make sure their "story arcs" are solid!

I ran across a link to this article today. I think it does an excellent job of summing up the issues with how this season ended...
    How Top Chef's Finale Tarnished its Brand
    AcookerTV likes this.

I'm going along with the idea that we don't taste the food. That's it in a nutshell.

I didn't care too much for anybody at the beginning of the show and rarely watched, but I grew fond of Stephanie and her quiet weirdness, lol. I didn't want her to go home, but strangely although at the time I might have been angry at Nick, I did not mind him winning. I liked Shirley for a bit but got tired of her and Nina.

I saw Nina on WWHL after the win and she did not seem bitter or to feel that she was ripped off at all.

My defense of Nick (should I need one) would be simply to say that if Stephanie considered him a friend, he couldn't be all that evil, could he?

But I did like Carlos for a while and hoped he would pull off a win. His and Nick's feud was just silly, like a couple teenagers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456