+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 2/5 Finale Show Discussion

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 2/5 Finale Show Discussion

I've been a Top Chef diehard fan since season one, episode one and there was serious drama even then. The drama has only continued and, in my opinion, Top Chef has only become better.

I loved this season. I love that Nicholas, the hothead, won. I love that it could have also been Nina had she not shot herself in the foot. This was a great season and all I want is more!

I agree that the drama has always been there. I just remember thinking while watching this finale that it felt like they don't spend as much time as they used to focusing on the prep/cooking of each dish, or on the descriptions of them, or the reactions to people while eating it. Also that's it's not guaranteed anymore that the editing will cut a logical path to the result at the end of the episode.

Maybe if they spent a little less time on those silly, pretentious zoom-ins on each contestant in the bottom three before the verdicts, they could free up a few more seconds for the food.

I still love the show dearly and have watched since Day 1 when Ken mouthed off at Hubert Keller after getting the boot for tasting a sauce with his finger , but I still think the show isn't above some criticism at times.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

I was surprised that they had so many diners and judges for the final. Splitting the judges into two groups really did take away from featuring the food like you mentioned.

I didn't want Nick to win, but can certainly understand why he did. I think it was Nina's to lose - and she did just that. (not the first time for that in Top Chef history) She sort of sabatoge herself by the [B]two[B] extra courses. She should have just concentrated on making the ones she had to make, and doing those the very best.

Even Nina herself wasn't surprised. She said that on WWHL. She knew she made some critical errors. If she doesn't disagree with the outcome, why would I?
    AcookerTV likes this.

I'm just curious as to how many, if any, contestants in this or any other show of its type would give up the immunity they had won fairly. My guess, and it's only a guess, would be zero. I do know that I have heard judges say more than once, "If you didn't have immunity, you would be going home."
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I totally agree. But that goes back to the curious editing choices this year -- it seems like Jacques Pepin was the first to bring up the notion of resigning, but Tom ran with it and ran with it, or at least the editing wanted us to think so. In the past, this issue rarely came up in situations where the losing chef had immunity -- it was assumed that nobody was entertaining the idea of resigning. (Maybe the chef would mention it out of guilt, but never really meaning it)

This was just one of many mixed signals that got sent out this year, and Tom needs to get more involved in the production (or if he already is, to think about things more) if he wants to get less pushback on his decisions.
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I totally agree. But that goes back to the curious editing choices this year -- it seems like Jacques Pepin was the first to bring up the notion of resigning, but Tom ran with it and ran with it, or at least the editing wanted us to think so. In the past, this issue rarely came up in situations where the losing chef had immunity -- it was assumed that nobody was entertaining the idea of resigning. (Maybe the chef would mention it out of guilt, but never really meaning it)

This was just one of many mixed signals that got sent out this year, and Tom needs to get more involved in the production (or if he already is, to think about things more) if he wants to get less pushback on his decisions.
    Definitely Nick should've gone home but I liked that he stuck to his guns. The judges need to play by the rules too. It wasn't an easy decision to send Stephanie packing and I think the judges were looking to cop out of the decision but immunity is a double-edged sword, in this case for the judges.

I liked the finale this year. It was as it should be in my opinion, in a restaurant serving customers unlike last season's debacle with the lights and all that, it was just distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I think the way to resolve that would be for the judging to include all elements of being a chef and not just the cooking. If they included things like leadership, then as Hugh pointed out, Nick would have been held back for it. But then they'd have to change the competition to truly judge all those other elements.
    I don't know, I liked the fact when Hugh asked about the servers Nick chose not to badmouth them and to me that was a smart more. If Nick would've said the servers were garbage then the next question would be, for me anyway, then why am I at your restaurant? I also didn't mind that Nick pounded the table and started barking, it didn't seem like he was berating anyone, just that he was upset that the diners were not getting the best they should have gotten. For me, I'd certainly want the chef to care about the diners because that's what it's all about.
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I think the way to resolve that would be for the judging to include all elements of being a chef and not just the cooking. If they included things like leadership, then as Hugh pointed out, Nick would have been held back for it. But then they'd have to change the competition to truly judge all those other elements.
    They actually did that in Season 1 - Harold and Tiffany each had 2 eliminated chefs helping them during the whole process, and during the judging, the finalists left the room and the sous chefs were brought to judges' table, and were asked how it was to work for Harold and Tiffany. Harold's helpers sang his praises, while Tiffany's sold her down the river. I wish they would bring this back, although I can understand how it would be too easy for chefs to sandbag whoever they didn't want to win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast